Sign in to follow this  
GoranM

Official. XP12 has outsold XP11!

1 hour ago, mSparks said:

But there is a huge difference between trying something and continuing to use it. I see zero evidence that any of the low barrier entry points to flight sim (consoles, xplane on android/apple) make up a significant persistent userbase.

I agree with that. It’s also my impression.

i912900k, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM

Know what I keep coming back to?

All those people who have said, for years, that MSFS is going to kill X-Plane, have been proven wrong.  

It's coming up to 4 years, and X-Plane shows no signs of "dying".  Quite the opposite, actually.  

I've been told, many times, that I'll go broke if I don't make the move to MSFS.  That was 3 years ago.  People have said that Austin should sell X-Plane to MSFS.  People have said 3rd party developers need to "go where the money is".  That X-Plane is a dead end in the face of MSFS.  3rd party developers have no choice.

No matter what people have said about X-Plane, it still continues to grow and succeed.  

I go back to the title of this thread.  XP12 has outsold XP11.  Even in the face of competition that is backed by a trillion dollar company.

Just knowing all of that, puts a huge smile on my face.

:smile:

• Like 6
  • Upvote 6

21 hours ago, Franz007 said:

It's perhaps me but I just cannot take XBox-players using a sim seriously. I just can't. I already felt bad when i had to use an app called "XBox" something when launching MSFS. And then seeing a big "Xbox" on the starting screen, although I am using a PC. I just can't. For me flight siming has always been something very special and not at all comparable to any other casual-game. Sorry. No offense, i jus't cannot take them seriously. I also witnessed how MS made some updates worst because they had to adapt to that casual-gaming-platform. Same with people using a sim on their phone, although they may become hardcore-simmers later; I won't count them either.

You do realize that an Xbox is basically a PC (mostly AMD hardware, around mid-range performance) and you can connect peripherals like yokes and pedals to it like you do to a PC? With the exception of some software that hasn't been made compatible you can have an identical experience flying on Xbox to flying on PC.

Sure, the hardcore simmers are going to be on PC and the 'casuals' tend to be on Xbox, but I don't get the constant dismissal or belittling of Xbox simmers by the 'elitists'. There are airline pilots on this very forum who use MSFS on Xbox for procedure training. Not sure why Xbox would disqualify them in that case. If the Xbox logo on the PC screen bothers someone just because Microsoft's game division happens to be called Xbox Game Studios that's a personal problem rather than an objective one.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, threexgreen said:

You do realize that an Xbox is basically a PC

windows PC tho.

All the disadvantages of a console

All the disadvantages of windows.

Xbox would have been an easy sell if it offered VR, but since it didnt it was already obsolete before it hit the shelves.

Convinced themselves VR didnt matter. Now they are all being outsold by a website company selling 100% VR experiences on low end linux devices.

Left hand wondering what the right hand is doing.

while the rest of the industry and users leaves them behind.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

2 hours ago, mSparks said:

All the disadvantages of windows.

Only problem I have with windows is its owned by MS$. Reason why im still on 10 not on 11. But linux no less secure still built by people.

Edited by mjrhealth
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, threexgreen said:

You do realize that an Xbox is basically a PC

It’s a platform made for casual-gaming and attracts the community related to it that is mostly based on visuals and needing hype after hype to keep being distracted. That’s why Asobo focussed almost only on stuff for them rather than investing into the core-sim. Some updates are also technically limited because they have to fit into the XBox-world.

I am sorry if you feel offended. Deal with it. You won’t make change my opinion. I have been using almost all sims since over 35 years and have seen the negative side of it.

Edited by Franz007
  • Upvote 1

i912900k, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM

3 hours ago, mjrhealth said:

Only problem I have with windows is its owned by MS$. Reason why im still on 10 not on 11. But linux no less secure still built by people.

the core disadvantage of windows is always being far behind the shiney new technology curve, the recent example of which I gave was VR.

linux has the index, quest 3 and pico 4

playstation has psvr and now psvr2

apple has apple vision.

microsoft failed at hololens and wmr, xbox has no VR support at all, and WMR is being deleted from windows, probably bricking everyones devices.

edit because the relevance to the topic isnt immediately obvious:

"beyond windows" is also a huge part of what has kept Xplane ahead of everyone else, which, imho is what has enabled XP12 to go beyond XP11; while I don't think there is an absolute answer, XP12 has done so well, again imho, because it is sooo much better than XP11, Im really expecting that to accelerate once 12.1 drops and the last of the major gripes are ironed out, - its barely got started yet.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

4 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

It is you.

Well, it is by definition, a gaming console.  So he has a point shared by many.

People can argue that it's still a computer, but so is an Apple watch.  

Even my car battery charger has a CPU in it.

🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GoranM said:

Well, it is by definition, a gaming console.  So he has a point shared by many.

Yes, the ignorance of the many…

It’s also a variation of that ever popular theme “those pesky kids”🧐

6 minutes ago, GoranM said:

So he has a point shared by many.

I recently ran into the name for this:

"Argumentum ad populum"

AutoATC Developer

4 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

Yes, the ignorance of the many…

Ignorance?

Ok, for the record, I personally think anyone who uses X-Plane on a phone is not "serious".  I have it on my iPhone.  Even my DC3 is available for the mobile version of X-Plane.  And I still don't consider it a "serious" flight simming platform.  It's something I may use, from time to time to pass the time on a flight or a road trip.  

Why does it matter?  You obviously have a different opinion, but labelling people word not allowed, just because they don't agree with you, is pushing it a little.

The fact remains, XBox is a gaming console.  It always has been.  It always will be.  It's a great way to get extra dollars flowing in for Asobo, but I wouldn't put it in the "serious simmer" category.  Not by a long shot.  Same with X-Plane for mobile.  Great for injecting dollars.  But serious simming?  Not quite.

Edited by GoranM
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, GoranM said:

Ok, for the record, I personally think 

Goodness. Since you’re going on the record….should I be writing this down?

35 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

Goodness. Since you’re going on the record….should I be writing this down?

So you first say people are showing ignorance simply for holding a different opinion to yours.  Then you follow up with sarcasm when challenged on your insult.

Why am I not surprised that my first statement, which is least important, is what you chose to focus on?

I don't want to come across as beating you up over comments.  We all have our passions.  Some more than others.  Just reel in the sarcasm and personal attacks.  Maybe then, we can all get along.

Edited by GoranM
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

One can use A2A or PMDG aircraft with a Throttle/Yoke combo on a 55" TV and good quality visuals using an Xbox for less than what a high-end graphics card would cost. Is this possible when using a phone?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48" + 2x 15.6" Touch-screen Panels

Thrustmaster Boeing TCA Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus