Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Flickering PMDG glass cockpits w/ panning w/ Nv FG?

2 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I think it becomes very apparent here and it's kinda logical as the FG AI-tech has so few frames to work with in order to generate those AI-frames that insert in between the native ones

Maybe that’s why I’ve never seen them, up until yesterday I just left mine automatically set at 97fps.

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

1 hour ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Richard and myself have agreed to buy you a beer which you very much deserve for sharing the brilliant RTTS edge sync method with us! 🍻

Multiple Beers Noel ! LOL

If it wasn’t for this thread I would not have tried locking fps with RTSS again, maybe it was a combination of the GPU driver and version of RTSS that caused my stuttering.  Prior to getting my 4090 I always used RTSS to lock because FTV is key to great fluidity. What I discovered yesterday still has me gobsmacked. I tried lots of different values and for me 86fps seems to be the sweet spot.

Now I need to re download CapframeX and see if I can beat Noel’s record 🤣

• Like 2

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

Another beauty of Noel's method is it allows more headroom for running at a higher resolution. 

Oh well, it's getting late here. Was just about to go to bed but then Lord Vader decided to send the Executor on a mission to Naboo as yet again he could sense a disturbance in the Force there 😵 

• Like 2

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

dYn55y0_d.jpg?maxwidth=520&shape=thumb&f

Preflight in the Fenix at KSFO and everything's just sumptuous - both in terms of performance and image quality. Decided to go for the settings I mentioned above i.e. 5461x2880 @ 60 FPS. Panning around the flight deck is gobsmackingly smooth, especially now that I’ve got G-Sync working again!

YSIqeWC.jpeg

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 2

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

I'm so happy others took the plunge and discovered something that somehow evades most of the community as near as I can tell.  I can't take credit for the discovery--I read about it I think from a Reddit post from someone using it in another genre.   He was struck by how effective it was at delivering really smooth video performance.  So I tried it in MSFS and was also struck that even at modest native rates of 34 one could have a super smooth quality of animation.  After that I learned it was the method delivered the sterlingly low FTV.

Thanks for the beers I think I'll have one right now 🍺

Can't wait to see if it holds up two days in a row! 😬  After taking off at KDEN this morning at 60fps as the gate, I bumped it up to 80fps after takeoff and it was flawless!  It's nice to be able to do that change on the fly, literally.  The old 9900K lives!  Had to quit so never got to land at that rate.  

So rather than 3 fps less than VSYNC, you might set your RTSS frame lock at 80 or 90 or 97 or whatever your hardware can manage.  This way you retain the best FTV and get the highest rate as well.  And if ever into a taxing scenario in mid flight you can simply raise or lower the lock value during flight w/ a keypress.  

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Whoopee!  2 good days in a row!  Was able after TO out of EDDF to bump it up to 70 no problem all the way to the gate at LFBO!

Cheers 😊

• Like 2

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

This game works completely differently depending on the hardware, Noel's settings work pretty well for me also, but I still get some flickering on panels when panning fast, the absolut best settings for me is to use unlocked with Low Latency at Ultra and V-Sync on in NVCP together with G-Sync, then it's super smooth without any flickering at all.

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

@RJC68

Just so I'm sure I understand your setup - are you saying that up to now, you'd been running a single 4k screen, FG on, TAA, and consistently maintaining 97 FPS across all conditions?  If so, what were your TLOD/OLOD values before using the adaptive LOD tools?  That's astonishing to me.  In my tests, I can't get above mid-70s in most cases with my 4090 and i9-12900k, at TLOD 200 and OLOD 195; and this is with no injected traffic!  I couldn't understand how you were getting such smooth FTV until I finally realized that you must be essentially locking your FPS *below* what it was otherwise capable of.  In my case I'm constantly trying to squeeze out any additional FPS since I run a triple-4k-screen setup (but with an MSFS window of basically 2x4k), and so the idea of locking below the GPU's capability had not even occurred to me.  

But still, I can't fathom how you can get such good performance; when I try to reproduce what I think you were running on a single 4k screen I simply can't get anywhere near high 90s.  I wonder if my having NvidiaSurround enabled, and running MSFS in a window at 4k (for this test), is somehow getting me different results than if I disabled Surround and tried true fullscreen on a single 4k.  Even if it did though, that wouldn't really help me as I want to keep running my 2x4k resolution.  Still, would be nice to know my performance isn't radically off from yours.

11 hours ago, GregP said:

That's astonishing to me.  In my tests, I can't get above mid-70s in most cases with my 4090 and i9-12900k, at TLOD 200 and OLOD 195; and this is with no injected traffic!  I couldn't understand how you were getting such smooth FTV until I finally realized that you must be essentially locking your FPS *below* what it was otherwise capable of.

I’ll comment on this until @RJC68 re-emerges. Locked FPS using RTSS in edge sync has been very successful in getting very little frame time variance. This has given amazing results, as reported by several people in this thread.

I have very similar hardware to you, and can get FPS way above my monitor’s max refresh rate of 120Hz with FPS unlocked, at 4K, in certain scenarios. Obviously this is not possible in very demanding situations, e.g. flying the Fenix into iniBuild’s LAX filled with AI traffic.

Currently I’m using AutoFPS with all my flights. The new version changes both TLOD and OLOD dynamically in order to get the best performance.

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

Yes in retrospect this makes perfect sense, locking below your video card's maximum performance is a good way to guarantee consistent FTV and therefore smoothness. It was just completely counterintuitive to me since I'm always trying to squeeze every last FPS out of my card!

And it sounds like some more testing is in order for me. It occurred to me after I posted last night that my test case of the 414 at about 3000 feet over Switzerland is almost certainly not representative of what I would get up at 30,000 feet--so chances are that at 4K unlocked I too could get at least near 100. But still it's amazing to me that he was apparently able to maintain 97 at all times.

Edited by GregP

2 hours ago, GregP said:

Yes in retrospect this makes perfect sense, locking below your video card's maximum performance is a good way to guarantee consistent FTV and therefore smoothness. It was just completely counterintuitive to me since I'm always trying to squeeze every last FPS out of my card!

Haha I know what you mean.. it’s only recently that I’ve found that locking FPS is preferable to squeezing as many out of the card as possible. Thanks to @Noel! Currently I’m locked at 60, and to be honest I can’t perceive much of a difference above that anyway. This works really well with G-Sync too. Most of my flights nowadays are basically stutter-free, except for those that occur from time to time due to scenery loading

2 hours ago, GregP said:

But still it's amazing to me that he was apparently able to maintain 97 at all times.

Same. We’ll just have to wait until he appears so that he can enlighten us with his magic 😎

Edited by Cpt_Piett

3 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Currently I’m using AutoFPS with all my flights. The new version changes both TLOD and OLOD dynamically in order to get the best performance.

Do you think it's significantly superior to what we got out of original Dynamic LOD?  Because of the older 9900K I really dial down TLOD on the ground, down to 20 at really tough airports, and it helps hugely.

Noel

1 hour ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Same. We’ll just have to wait until he appears so that he can enlighten us with his magic 😎

I wouldn't say it was magic LOL I looked at my settings from the latter part of 2023 (Yes I document them every few months) and really the only thing of any consequence I changed was the TLOD at 150, OLOD was 200. Now if I inferred that I never dropped below 97 fps that is not true and I should apologize, yes of course if you fly into a huge airport like KLAX or EGLL in the Fenix or PMDG with live traffic then you will see the fps drop but normally GSYNC takes care of keeping things smooth when the fps fluctuates. For me the key to getting FG working properly was simply Low Latency - Ultra & VSYNC - On in NVCP, this is what I believe Blur busters recommend. I chose a refresh rate of 100Hz because there is very little difference between that and 120Hz yet it still gave my GPU headroom.

The one thing that has improved further on this is being able to now lock fps externally with RTSS. I always did this before with my 3080TI & 3090 but when I first got my 4090 doing this just introduced stutters. I did some experimenting over the last few days and for me 80 fps seems to be the sweet spot (40fps non FG). I am not sure why but of all ways to externally lock fps RTSS does the best job of keeping a consistent FTV.

The CapFrameX capture I posted yesterday was departing Liverpool Airport in the Fenix A320, one of the handcrafted ones in the sim with plenty of FSLTL traffic, ultra settings and shadows on 6144. The one thing that helps this situation even further is the awesome AutoFPS app, I have TLOD set to 75 on the ground and a max of 300 in the air. I recorded the session in CapFrameX for 15 minutes from the threshold of runway 09 climbing up through some fairly heavy cloud cover and turning south towards the English Channel. I was able to hit the TLOD of 300 pretty quickly and sustain it throughout the flight to Venice.

Hope this explanation debunks some of my mystical magic, there really isn't any. It is all about choosing the most optimum settings for your own hardware. The key points I always go back to are consistent FTV and staying GPU limited. Whatever hardware you have chooses a fps that you can achieve consistently and if your GPU is under utilized adjust the graphics related settings to give it something to do. Right now I have my render scale on 105 and can easily push it too 110 or even 115 flying less demanding aircraft.

• Like 2

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

Hello all, i'm following this thread with great interest. I have a 7800X3D & 4080. Using my 75 inch QLED TV for the SIM. 120Hz & using G-sync. What do you recommend to try regarding FG / V-Sync / DLSS / G-Sync / RTSS. I'm using the DynamicLod / AutoLOD tool and flying mostly on EHAM with the Fenix / PMDG and AIG. I already tried some combinations but then its flickering, then its stuttering. Not found the best one yet so I'm curious about your opinion 🙂 Can you guys share me your thoughts / suggestions? Thank you.

Edited by Eef

With the performance I already have with a now 4 y/o CPU I can only imagine how much headroom one gets out of 7800X3D.  Eef should expect nothing less than perfection!

Noel