Sign in to follow this  
Olsby1

Addon recommendations

Hi all, I am somewhat new to P3D and have to ask the inevitable question from a new user: addon recommendations !

I have played flight sims for some years, I own X-plane 11 and 12..which to your joy I have abandoned in favor of P3D, I also own MSFS..also abandoned for P3D, so you can see what my favorite sim is. I've had P3D for a while but haven't bought much addons for it, and I think it's quite difficult finding addons for it right now, I know they are there, but google prefers to give me MSFS results when I search for P3D.

This is what I own:

- Orbx Global

- Orbx Vector ( I don't use this because it's buggy, so looking into UTX instead for the areas I fly the most )

- ENVTEX

- Aerosoft Antarctica

- Milviz airplanes gone freeware, namely the Beaver and the Twin comanche

- A2A Accufeel

So what should I look into next, aircraft, scenery and various beautification ?

Disclaimer: I am on P3DV5 and I am to be considered a new pilot, meaning I do like high fidelity aircraft, but I am nowhere near touching study level airliners, though something in between as a stepping stone is welcome. I mostly fly in Europe but sometimes also Asia.

Oh..PS It doesn't have to be payware, I am looking for both paid and free.

Chaseplane.

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4 and MSFS

2 hours ago, Olsby1 said:

- Orbx Vector ( I don't use this because it's buggy, so looking into UTX instead for the areas I fly the most )

Neither needed in V5.

If you want weather then:- ASP3D .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Olsby1 said:

I also own MSFS..also abandoned for P3D

Interesting, what made you choose P3D over MSFS?

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Some nice addons (apart from the ones already mentioned) that I can recommend include:

- FSUIPC - for setting up your control profiles

- GSX - for nice groundhandling

- AIG Traffic Manager/Controller - for AI traffic

- FS global - for the best mesh

- MatthiasKNU photoreal and autogen scenery (free) - this is even better than ORBX but demands quite a bit of storage space.

- RAAS professional - for aural smart landing and smart runway calls

- Envshade/Envplus/Envsound - for better immersion and visuals

- TFDI Pacx - for passenger announcements, etc.

In terms of aircraft addons (mainly airlines since I prefer to fly that) the ones I can recommend are (not exhaustive list): 

- The whole PMDG lineup

- Aerosoft A330, CRJ series and DC-8

- FSlabs Airbuses

- Leonardo Maddog (MD82, MD83, etc.)

- Majestic Dash 8 Q400

- Ifly 737Max 

- QW 787

- TFDI 717

- Just Flight Bae 146

- Coolsky DC-9

- KAI31 TU134

- Fishbed Mig-21 Extended edition

Edited by Blasb
  • Like 2

i7 13700K @ 5.3 ghz / DeepCool AK620 Cooler / MSI Z790 Tomahawk WiFi / 32GB Trident DDR5 RAM @ 7200 mhz / 24GB Gainward 3090 Geforce RTX  / 2 TB SSD WD Black SN850X NVMe / 1 TB SSD Samsung 990 Pro series / 2 TB SSD Samsung 980 Pro Series / 500 gb and 250 gb SSD Samsung Evo 850 / RM1000W Corsair PSU

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Sparkrite said:

Neither needed in V5.

If you want weather then:- ASP3D .

Yeah I noticed they may not be needed when I added some custom scenery and saw the roads had a near perfect fit with P3D's roads. Do you have any knowledge about how lakes and rivers look with and withouht UTX, default they can be a bit blocky/jagged but maybe that's the same even with UTX ?

@bendead I feel like the planes in MSFS doesn't really want to fly, the flight model just seems off, I know there are some good addons, and a user on flightsim.to named MGouge makes some fantastic edits which makes the aerodynamics on the default planes a lot better.
I played X-plane 11 extensively and the planes just wanted to fly, the same with Aerofly, but MSFS default is like flying a rock in my opinion. P3D is much closer to the feel I am used to from other simulators.
Mind you I'm not a real world pilot so my thoughts are just based on how I think the sim should feel with the experience I have from other sims. MSFS does have the upper hand with their satellite image streaming, but now you can do the same in both AeroflyFS4 and X-plane 12, so now it eventually comes down to what gives you the feeling of actually flying, and I think P3D does a pretty good job there.

Edited by Olsby1
Edited to avoid multi quoting
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Olsby1 said:

@bendead I feel like the planes in MSFS doesn't really want to fly, the flight model just seems off, I know there are some good addons, and a user on flightsim.to named MGouge makes some fantastic edits which makes the aerodynamics on the default planes a lot better.
I played X-plane 11 extensively and the planes just wanted to fly, the same with Aerofly, but MSFS default is like flying a rock in my opinion. P3D is much closer to the feel I am used to from other simulators.
Mind you I'm not a real world pilot so my thoughts are just based on how I think the sim should feel with the experience I have from other sims. MSFS does have the upper hand with their satellite image streaming, but now you can do the same in both AeroflyFS4 and X-plane 12, so now it eventually comes down to what gives you the feeling of actually flying, and I think P3D does a pretty good job there.

Thanks for your reply,

I never flown on either X-plane or P3D, just FSX, which P3D is based on, before with a ton of addons.

Based on my experience flying on the 172, I really like how MSFS behave, feels really alive and close to the feelings i had flying the real thing.

But that's just my opinion. As long as you have fun, the xyz sim doesn't matter

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Olsby1 said:

Yeah I noticed they may not be needed when I added some custom scenery and saw the roads had a near perfect fit with P3D's roads. Do you have any knowledge about how lakes and rivers look with and withouht UTX, default they can be a bit blocky/jagged but maybe that's the same even with UTX ?

The P3d Military options and add ons is what keeps me going back. Like AI carriers, VLSO, and VRS Tac Pac, to name a few.

Mike 

• Like 1

TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)MOTHERBOARD 
AMD Ryzen 5 5900X CPU-LIQUID COOLED
AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT
32GB RAM G-SKILL TRIDENT Z
SAMSUNG SSD 980 PRO 2TB

10 hours ago, Olsby1 said:

Hi all, I am somewhat new to P3D and have to ask the inevitable question from a new user: addon recommendations !

The link below has the names of the addons I'm using, note some are P3D version specific, e.g. I'm running v4.5.

However there are a bunch that would be useful for any P3d version.

Cheers

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

4 hours ago, bendead said:

I never flown on either X-plane or P3D, just FSX, which P3D is based on, before with a ton of addons.

Yeah I used to just have FSX which was pretty great at the time, but the 32bit limitations were a real killer to really enjoying the sim.

There was a constant need to plan the airports vs. scenery vs. aircraft against major flights to avoid runing out of VAS.

When I found out about P3D and that I was able to migrate over the majority of addons and aircraft to a 64bit sim I couldn't have been happier.

Things are smooth and I'm happy with the look feel I've been able to achieve, plus I have a ton of aircraft to enjoy.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

@Olsby1, although the installer is for P3Dv4 it can be fooled with a Registry entry so it’s fine in v5.

Vertx DA-62 is a superb twin engine with the best G1000 cockpit I’ve seen. The author doesn’t give support after the death of his wife but there’s enough experience here not to need it.

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I'm late to answer my own thread, but thank you for all the tips guys, I have a bit to work with now 🙂

There was one thing I wanted to ask and hope someone sees it so I don't have to make a thread for it: I bought the Carenado C208 and once had it installed, but after a clean windows install I can't seem to figure out the path it needs to install and I ended up having to contact Carenado to reset the activations, the installer only goes to P3DV4 but you can choose your own installation path, my P3DV5 is installed in C : Program Files (default installation path) ?

2 minutes ago, Olsby1 said:

I'm late to answer my own thread, but thank you for all the tips guys, I have a bit to work with now 🙂

There was one thing I wanted to ask and hope someone sees it so I don't have to make a thread for it: I bought the Carenado C208 and once had it installed, but after a clean windows install I can't seem to figure out the path it needs to install and I ended up having to contact Carenado to reset the activations, the installer only goes to P3DV4 but you can choose your own installation path, my P3DV5 is installed in C : Program Files (default installation path) ?

I just pointed it to the P3DV5 folder and it works fine.

Vic green

2 hours ago, Olsby1 said:

I bought the Carenado C208

Which Carenado C208 was it ? (steam or glass gauge).

If it was the Steam there are a number of improvements available, like PBR model, immersive cockpit sounds and improved flight model.

Cheers

• Like 1