Sign in to follow this  
Ident

Black Square Duke, no oil?!

Am I missing something on the coming Duke Piston version and not being able to see where oil levels are? The plane looks amazing and its a day one purchase, just finding it odd to model so much system rich features and not model the oil system of the plane to which the user can do oil and oil filter changes. Especially since they even mention on page 95 of the manual that the color of the oil reflects the oil temp.

How do you know that they're not modelling oil?   (Genuine question)

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

Pretty sure you can't monitor oil levels in any non-airline aircraft. Oil pressure? Yes.

Oil level is checked as part of the pre-flight walk around. Or, it is not modeled in the particular aircraft.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JYW said:

How do you know that they're not modelling oil?   (Genuine question)

They've released the manuals for both of the Dukes.

Edit to add, that in the manual of possible failures, there's no mention of oil systems, oil levels, oil filters or oil lines.

Edited by Ident

1 hour ago, RichieFly said:

Pretty sure you can't monitor oil levels in any non-airline aircraft. Oil pressure? Yes.

Oil level is checked as part of the pre-flight walk around. Or, it is not modeled in the particular aircraft.

Ahh, in a biz jet you can lol. Well in the Gulfstreams I fly. I can see it on the summery pages on the DU in the cockpit, on the oil service panel in the aft equipment section and at the sight gauge at the engines. Most accurate at the engine in case there is some compensation issues.

53 minutes ago, RichieFly said:

Yes, to use A2A and Sim Coders, they both have shown that the end user can check the oil level, add, change or even change the oil type as well as change the oil filter. Most small GA planes that I know of, burn oil so I was a bit surprised that Oil, Oil filters and Oil lines are not modeled for wear and tear. And yes, checking the oil level during the walk around as well as the color of the oil is an important part of the walk around. Hopefully in a future update this changes as its looking to be a study level twin.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ident said:

Most small GA planes that I know of, burn oil so I was a bit surprised that Oil, Oil filters and Oil lines are not modeled for wear and tear

I really think you are over-thinking it here. Depending on the type where you can get under the cowling for a good look, such as a Piper Cherokee you have no detailed method of checking for oil line wear & tear or check the condition of the oil filter other than looking at the oil dipstick.

Oil T's & P's are the only real indicators of oil issues in the average GA aircraft unfortunately, unless you can clearly see oil pouring out from somewhere.

• Like 1

David Porrett

1 hour ago, DavidP said:

I really think you are over-thinking it here. Depending on the type where you can get under the cowling for a good look, such as a Piper Cherokee you have no detailed method of checking for oil line wear & tear or check the condition of the oil filter other than looking at the oil dipstick.

Oil T's & P's are the only real indicators of oil issues in the average GA aircraft unfortunately, unless you can clearly see oil pouring out from somewhere.

I agree with you. However, I can not see inside the engine of any plane, yet Black Square and A2A allow this to happen with the tablet they offer. I dont need to visual inspect the inside of the engine nor the oil filter or oil lines. That said, being somewhat spoiled to Accusim in MSFS/P3D and Reality Expansion Pack in XPlane for study level planes of this sort, oil being burned and needing to be replaced, seeing the color of the oil to determine whats going on inside the engine and the ability to wear at the filter and over time the oil lines have kinda become a staple so I was a bit surprised to see the depth of systems and available failures that Black Square has put into these beautiful developed addons but leaving out the oil system in a way that oil is a non-factor in the use of these soon to come addons.

I log with the Comanche and Baron when I do oil changes and preform 100 hour and annual inspections. Its at those times that I let the "A&P Mechanic" inspect the plane as I use the tablet of the addons to see whats in need of repair and fix or replace accordingly.

Ant's Tiger Moth also has oil levels. Denarq's Beech 18 mod also IIRC.

Good catch. I must say that striving for a simulation with the level of depth that the Duke is -- judging from the previews -- and not simulating oil seems like a missed opportunity. 

• Like 2

Dan Scott

Posted (edited)

You guys keep talking like this and the developer is gonna delay the release just to add this feature, and we'll never get the thing...

Edited by Stoopy

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Ident said:

yet Black Square and A2A allow this to happen with the tablet they offer

Which is a nice feature but not exactly realistic. Like A2A lets you see things and do things you'd normally only do (or let do!) during an inspection. And certainly not before every flight. Imho that's a flaw (don't know a better English word for it) in how A2A (and apparently BS) do things. It often is impossible to check or solve little things without going into some sort of 'overal insepection' mode which you would never ever do in real life. In that regard A2A's realism isn't realistic at all. It may look pretty 'study level' and all but it actually isn't. It's too much.

Edited by tup61

13 hours ago, Ident said:

I agree with you. However, I can not see inside the engine of any plane, yet Black Square and A2A allow this to happen with the tablet they offer. I dont need to visual inspect the inside of the engine nor the oil filter or oil lines. That said, being somewhat spoiled to Accusim in MSFS/P3D and Reality Expansion Pack in XPlane for study level planes of this sort, oil being burned and needing to be replaced, seeing the color of the oil to determine whats going on inside the engine and the ability to wear at the filter and over time the oil lines have kinda become a staple so I was a bit surprised to see the depth of systems and available failures that Black Square has put into these beautiful developed addons but leaving out the oil system in a way that oil is a non-factor in the use of these soon to come addons.

I log with the Comanche and Baron when I do oil changes and preform 100 hour and annual inspections. Its at those times that I let the "A&P Mechanic" inspect the plane as I use the tablet of the addons to see whats in need of repair and fix or replace accordingly.

There is a way visually inspect oil filter and check for oil leaks without opening cowling. There is optional progressive 50 hour oil inspection where you can take  oil sample and send it to the lab and see if they find some metal there.

P.S. 100 hours is not required unless airplane is used for training, and only IA can do your annual !

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

10 minutes ago, tup61 said:

Which is a nice feature but not exactly realistic. Like A2A lets you see things and do things you'd normally only do (or let do!) during an inspection. 

In a reasonable sense yes you can't check your cylinder compression every flight. But if you obsessed A&P and aircraft owner you can do what ever you want LOL There are digital monitors retrofit where actually can read data after each flight and anywise engine health. I have several friends who do it after each flight. So I don't see anything wrong doing by A2A they give you ability to monitor your engine any time . How else could they done it? Lock it until annual is due? LOL 

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI