Sign in to follow this  
RobJC

Ultra-wide problem with MSFS…

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, psolk said:

The real fix is a proper FOV system not relying upon zoom but a combination of Monitor size, monitor curvature, multi monitor bezel and angle configurations such as we find in most racing sims....

FOV/Zoom is just 1 aspect of the problem which simracing does relatively good. Also MSFS does this, you can adjust this inside the cockpit.

For curvature and stretched projection there is no sim that does this properly.

When you see a perfect circle in the middle point of your screen, moving the circle to the corner of your screen by turning your head should not change it`s shape but still be a perfect circle to you because you are still 90 degrees angle in relation to the circle`s centre. If you have a flat screen the circle should get a little wider so it appears to yo in the same shape.

Edited by StoreyedTrain
  • Like 1

Just wanted to note that I was curious about this monitor too. I run a triple 43-in 4k setup and could never get enough FPS to run that full resolution, so early on decided to use a window of the same resolution of your monitor, 7680x2160.

What I've found is that the unavoidable stretching near the edges--unless you want, as several have pointed out, to zoom way in, which to me seems to defeat the purpose of having a large high resolution monitor in the first place!--is somewhat ameliorated by being able to set your side monitors at an angle toward you relative to the center monitor. Then in most cases when I fly, the side monitors  function as mostly peripheral vision, increasing the feeling of immersion and the stretching is tolerable as long as I don't focus on it.  But the bezels obviously sort of break that immersion a bit, so I had wondered if a single ultrawide would be better overall. So it's interesting to see that both solutions have drawbacks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StoreyedTrain said:

For curvature and stretched projection there is no sim that does this properly.

P3D Viewgroup setup allows you to choose cylindrical or spherical projection instead of flat. This seems relevant, although I never got beyond the basics of Viewgroups.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Thanks for the help, guys. Last night i spent time with MSFS, DCS, F1 23, and a few shooters. Bottom line: a super ultra wide monitor is amazing for work and not very good for gaming. All of these titles had issues and i was unable to find a decent solution to fix them. I ordered a 32” 4k monitor that i am going to test sometime today. I have a feeling this 57” is going back. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

2 hours ago, RobJC said:

Thanks for the help, guys. Last night i spent time with MSFS, DCS, F1 23, and a few shooters. Bottom line: a super ultra wide monitor is amazing for work and not very good for gaming. All of these titles had issues and i was unable to find a decent solution to fix them. I ordered a 32” 4k monitor that i am going to test sometime today. I have a feeling this 57” is going back. 

34"-38" is really the sweet spot

• Like 1

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

8 hours ago, GregP said:

Just wanted to note that I was curious about this monitor too. I run a triple 43-in 4k setup and could never get enough FPS to run that full resolution, so early on decided to use a window of the same resolution of your monitor, 7680x2160.

What I've found is that the unavoidable stretching near the edges--unless you want, as several have pointed out, to zoom way in, which to me seems to defeat the purpose of having a large high resolution monitor in the first place!--is somewhat ameliorated by being able to set your side monitors at an angle toward you relative to the center monitor. Then in most cases when I fly, the side monitors  function as mostly peripheral vision, increasing the feeling of immersion and the stretching is tolerable as long as I don't focus on it.  But the bezels obviously sort of break that immersion a bit, so I had wondered if a single ultrawide would be better overall. So it's interesting to see that both solutions have drawbacks.

I am guessing that the highest horizontal   resolution in MSFS is 4K or approximately 4,000 pixels. So if you feeding that into a monitor that has H res of 7680, obviously, if you want full screen, the monitor is going to have to "stretch" the image on the sides in order to fill the screen. So now a circle, would look like a flatten egg shape.  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

20 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I am guessing that the highest horizontal   resolution in MSFS is 4K or approximately 4,000 pixels. So if you feeding that into a monitor that has H res of 7680, obviously, if you want full screen, the monitor is going to have to "stretch" the image on the sides in order to fill the screen. So now a circle, would look like a flatten egg shape.  

Pretty much describes what I am seeing. Such a nice monitor and amazing for work, but I think I am going to use the 32" Dell for work and then get a C3/C4 for the cockpit when I get that done. 

2 minutes ago, RobJC said:

Pretty much describes what I am seeing. Such a nice monitor and amazing for work, but I think I am going to use the 32" Dell for work and then get a C3/C4 for the cockpit when I get that done. 

You want something that will give you the same aspect ratio as MSFS is putting out. If there is a setting on your monitor like 1 for 1 pixel, then you will get that, but of course you won't fill the screen horizontally then.  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

12 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

So if you feeding that into a monitor that has H res of 7680, obviously, if you want full screen, the monitor is going to have to "stretch" the image on the sides in order to fill the screen.

The reason, in actuality, is just due to how GPUs work. GPUs don't actually support anything other than rectangular projections. A rectangular projection will always have distortion near the edges, which becomes greater and greater the wider the horizontal FOV. From a mathematical perspective, rasterizing triangles requires straight lines for any level of acceptable performance. Any other kind of projection makes lines of a triangle not straight on the projection.

All the other types of projections you might see, for example, in racing sims, are post-processing shader fakery, where the rectangular projection is set a good deal wider than the screen itself, then a post-processing step pulls in the edges, or where the scene is rendered multiple times from a few rectangular projection camera angles, and then stitched together in a post-process step.

Either of these techniques is reasonably performance heavy, but in a racing sim with a lot more limited geometry, much more limited draw distances, no stuff like volumetric clouds etc, is more easily within the performance budget.

• Like 2

Well the Dell 32" 4K monitor came in yesterday. I miss the real estate that i 57" super ultrawide provides, but that is about it. This Dell is super sharp, has good colors, and 32" is perfect for the desk I have. There is zero blurriness with gauges, and no stretching of AI planes, and 4K is a lot easier on my system than 2x 4K. 

BTW, yesterday the Samsung 57" would not turn on, so I guess it wasn't meant to be regardless.  

• Like 2

On 3/23/2024 at 3:46 AM, RobJC said:

but I really wanted it for MSFS and the advantages of a sharp 4k display just go out the window with this issue

I can't imagine improving the sharpness on the 3440x1440 display at RS160 there is no room for improvement, and it's far easier on processing than all of those native pixels.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

2 hours ago, Noel said:

I can't imagine improving the sharpness on the 3440x1440 display at RS160 there is no room for improvement, and it's far easier on processing than all of those native pixels.

My 2560x1440 was way too blurry so maybe 3440x1440 is better? Or maybe your 1440p monitor is better quality than mine? No idea but the gauges were just too blurry to enjoy the sim. 

1 hour ago, RobJC said:

My 2560x1440 was way too blurry so maybe 3440x1440 is better? Or maybe your 1440p monitor is better quality than mine? No idea but the gauges were just too blurry to enjoy the sim. 

Well that's no good but you have what you need now and your hardware can easily manage it, enjoy!

My screen's only a little over a year old so no upgrades happening here.  It's a draw as to which dies first, it or me 🙃  I'm way tickled I had no idea how much high RS levels impacted sharpness.  I do use the Detail filter out of GFE as well.  This combination is great so I'm okay w/o 4K native.

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X