Sign in to follow this  
RobJC

Ultra-wide problem with MSFS…

spacer.png

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Okay I was using translate, and that did not fix the issue. Really disappointed. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

2 minutes ago, RobJC said:

Okay I was using translate, and that did not fix the issue. Really disappointed. 

again,

try turning OFF lens correction

Ali A.

MSFS on PC: I9-13900KS | ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 MB | 32GB DDR5/7200MHz RAM | ASUS TUF RTX4090 OCE | 1TB M.2 Samsung 990 Pro (Windows) +2TB Samsung 990 Pro for MSFS + 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for DATA | EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB CPU cooler.

HP Reverb G2 VR (occasional use) | ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ 4K monitor | Tobii Eye tracker 5 | Logitech sound system 7.1 | VIRPIL Controls (Joystick + thrust levers + rudder pedals) | Windows 11 Pro.

Just now, penta_a said:

again,

try turning OFF lens correction

I did that. No difference. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

Just now, RobJC said:

I did that. No difference. 

OK,

try selecting your max monitor resolution (even if it is already selected) and save it, some times what is shown in selection is not what is displayed actually by the monitor.

I'm trying to help based on my experience with ultra wide monitor a few years ago.

good luck.

Ali A.

MSFS on PC: I9-13900KS | ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 MB | 32GB DDR5/7200MHz RAM | ASUS TUF RTX4090 OCE | 1TB M.2 Samsung 990 Pro (Windows) +2TB Samsung 990 Pro for MSFS + 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for DATA | EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB CPU cooler.

HP Reverb G2 VR (occasional use) | ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ 4K monitor | Tobii Eye tracker 5 | Logitech sound system 7.1 | VIRPIL Controls (Joystick + thrust levers + rudder pedals) | Windows 11 Pro.

2 minutes ago, penta_a said:

OK,

try selecting your max monitor resolution (even if it is already selected) and save it, some times what is shown in selection is not what is displayed actually by the monitor.

I'm trying to help based on my experience with ultra wide monitor a few years ago.

good luck.

Thanks for all the help! I changed my resolution to a lower one, then saved, then reselected the native resolution. Same problem. 

To avoid the fisheye effect you need to zoom in till it looks correct. 

It has to do with your FOV vs how far you are sitting away from your monitor.

The closer you are to the screen the smaller your zoom value can be. The further away you are from your screen the higher the zoom value needs to be.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Posted (edited)

The answer is to use Reshade and the shader Perfect Perspective by Fubax.

With that shader you can bend it "straight" again. (humanely logical)

https://reshade.me/forum/shader-presentation/3916-distortion-correction-conformal-perspective

It`s an insult to humanity to sell screens like that and not have the tools in your GPU settings or Game to compensate for the distortion caused by every game using a form of Merkaartor projection as a standard.

Edited by StoreyedTrain

It's been said already, but your only option if you want to use a single view with such an extreme aspect ratio is to zoom in. Because of the way the view is projected you will always have distortion far from the centre, and since your monitor is pretty much exactly the same resolution as an old-fashioned 3-screen display (5:4 x 3) you will have all the same problems as FSX users with a TripleHead2Go or nvidia Surround setup.

I'm not up to date with all these tweaks and post-processing filters people are citing, but out of the box you only have two real options. First, zoom in until the gauges are about life-size. This will reduce distortion at the extremes but obviously it will reduce the vertical field of view as well, so you will have quite a restricted view. You can sit further back in your virtual cockpit, but this is unrealistic and limited by the seats. Using a TrackIR with this setup is the most effective option. Or second, use the MSFS multi-view to create two or three (or more) windows and arrange them side by side. This will reduce the distortion, but there will be a performance overhead and you will probably not get the views to line up exactly. (The third option is to buy a 16:9 screen to replace the ultrawide one.)

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

2 hours ago, StoreyedTrain said:

The answer is to use Reshade and the shader Perfect Perspective by Fubax.

With that shader you can bend it "straight" again. (humanely logical)

https://reshade.me/forum/shader-presentation/3916-distortion-correction-conformal-perspective

It`s an insult to humanity to sell screens like that and not have the tools in your GPU settings or Game to compensate for the distortion caused by every game using a form of Merkaartor projection as a standard.

Okay I tried this and it did reduce the distortion quite a bit. I actually thought I had the solution until I tried to use the menus. Everything else is totally distorted. It also impacted the smoothness while panning, but I could have lived with that if not for the menu issue. It wasn't just MSFS. I tried F1 23 and the same menu issue exists. Maybe there is a way to fix this?  

55 minutes ago, MarkDH said:

It's been said already, but your only option if you want to use a single view with such an extreme aspect ratio is to zoom in. Because of the way the view is projected you will always have distortion far from the centre, and since your monitor is pretty much exactly the same resolution as an old-fashioned 3-screen display (5:4 x 3) you will have all the same problems as FSX users with a TripleHead2Go or nvidia Surround setup.

I'm not up to date with all these tweaks and post-processing filters people are citing, but out of the box you only have two real options. First, zoom in until the gauges are about life-size. This will reduce distortion at the extremes but obviously it will reduce the vertical field of view as well, so you will have quite a restricted view. You can sit further back in your virtual cockpit, but this is unrealistic and limited by the seats. Using a TrackIR with this setup is the most effective option. Or second, use the MSFS multi-view to create two or three (or more) windows and arrange them side by side. This will reduce the distortion, but there will be a performance overhead and you will probably not get the views to line up exactly. (The third option is to buy a 16:9 screen to replace the ultrawide one.)

Yeah, I am really starting to think that this monitor is just not suitable for gaming. It is okay in some games, but I really wanted it for MSFS and the advantages of a sharp 4k display just go out the window with this issue. Thanks for the help. 

5 minutes ago, RobJC said:

Okay I tried this and it did reduce the distortion quite a bit. I actually thought I had the solution until I tried to use the menus. Everything else is totally distorted. It also impacted the smoothness while panning, but I could have lived with that if not for the menu issue. It wasn't just MSFS. I tried F1 23 and the same menu issue exists. Maybe there is a way to fix this?  

In menu`s you can just switch reshade off to see them as normal.

Reshade is not perfect though but in for example race games i notice on tracks that are about 1 minute per lap that i`m easily 0.5 second quicker because i see the corners where they are instead of where they aren`t.

The only real solution is if AMD/Nvidia/Intel would have setings in their GPU`s to compensate forthis ingame and the menu`s would be rendered in the "normal" flattened way.

Btw maybe using only one screen from the VR settings could work also, maybe someone could make a single eye VR mod. (VR has the compensation/rectification i believe)

2 minutes ago, StoreyedTrain said:

Reshade is not perfect though but in for example race games i notice on tracks that are about 1 minute per lap that i`m easily 0.5 second quicker because i see the corners where they are instead of where they aren`t.

The only real solution is if AMD/Nvidia/Intel would have setings in their GPU`s to compensate forthis ingame and the menu`s would be rendered in the "normal" flattened way.

Btw maybe using only one screen from the VR settings could work also, maybe someone could make a single eye VR mod. (VR has the compensation/rectification i believe)

Yeah it would be way better of AMD or Nvidia just fixed this. I am leaning towards just returning it and getting a 32" 4K monitor. Bummer. Thanks again for the help. 

25 minutes ago, StoreyedTrain said:

The real fix is a proper FOV system not relying upon zoom but a combination of Monitor size, monitor curvature, multi monitor bezel and angle configurations such as we find in most racing sims....

I use the same 49 ultrawide for my racing rig and my FS rig.  Almost every racing sim has proper FOV controls to define all of the critical settings above and get accurate "zoom"   I can even define my 49 inch ultrawide's curve or emulate it as a triple monitor setup, this is just not something we are capable of in MSFS...  MSFS just doesn't have this functionality and I've been suffering with what you are seeing since day 1. 

Looking straight things look great but the angles of the monitor are always stretched and elongated.  Only solution I have found is to focus forward and if I really want to look at something to the side use my POV hat to ensure that whatever I am looking at is in the "center" of the monitor.  It is especially annoying with AI.  

I don't know how anyone can have an ultrawide without proper FOV controls without this fisheye effect tbh...  

• Like 2

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

47 minutes ago, RobJC said:

Yeah it would be way better of AMD or Nvidia just fixed this. I am leaning towards just returning it and getting a 32" 4K monitor. Bummer. Thanks again for the help. 

Maybe this helps:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/guide-set-your-field-of-view-fov/537738

Somebody tried to make the FOV as realistic as possible..

Good luck

PC: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite, AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4080 Super Aorus Master, DDR5 G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 2X32 GB, Corsair HX 1000, Fractal Torrent, Samsung LC32 / G7 1440P.