Sign in to follow this  
Cpt_Piett

Frame generation in MSFS - the good and the bad

Posted (edited)

The introduction of frame generation (FG) has been a game-changer for many RTX40-series owners. However, the AI-tech behind FG is not infallible. 

FG-related artifacts are an inherent problem with the frame generation AI technology (DLSS3) but can be avoided.

The AI-tech behind FG basically inserts an AI-generated image in between two native images:

DHGpe60.jpg

The problem is that the AI tech sometimes fails to render the AI-image properly (causing artifacts). Factors that increase the chance of seeing these artifacts:

• native FPS is too low - I find that at least 30 non-FG FPS is needed for FG to work properly
  • very fast panning
  • very fast-moving objects
  • very fast-moving numbers e.g. on speed-tapes

I rarely see these artifacts. In fact the last time I can remember seeing them was on the dev mode FPS overlay where the numbers were changing extremely quickly:

8WKslkB.jpeg

For some in-depth information about how FG works, and how it sometimes can create artifacts, I highly recommend this detailed analysis (they also talk about MSFS): https://youtu.be/92ZqYaPXxas?si=nk5bLaJPzUvg6gH4

Some examples of fast-moving objects where the AI tech fails to render accurate AI-frames (perhaps more relevant to more fast-paced games): 

z4uHxWJ.jpg

qYc6PXl.jpg

Clearly, some people are much more sensitive to these artifacts than others. I've made many videos lately, and honestly haven't seen much of these artifacts, if at all. 

When considering getting a RTX40-series card, I highly recommend pairing it with a decent CPU. I have a 12900KF which IMO is working fine. Another thing: A 4090 is not needed unless you want the absolute best (and can afford it). 

Perhaps the biggest advantage with a 4090 is 24GB of VRAM. I've seen total VRAM usage up to 23GB. But that's an extreme example, usually it's much lower than that. In one of the most demanding locations in the sim, VRAM was about 15-16GB:

zblrl6M.jpg

I've been flight simming for more than 25 years. I've custom-built PC's for just as long. Performance has always been a problem. The most game-changing upgrade I've ever done was getting the 4090. 

Comments? Is it worth getting a RTX40-series card? Are people distracted by the artifacts?

Hopefully this thread will generate some discussion as FG seems to be a very hot topic.

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 12
  • Upvote 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Posted (edited)

Double post, sorry.

Edited by Cpt_Piett

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

Cpt, You're a pretty sharp individual and your insight is always appreciated. 
-B

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Performance has always been a problem. The most game-changing upgrade I've ever done was getting the 4090. 

Comments? Is it worth getting a RTX40-series card? Are people distracted by the artifacts?

You already fully appreciate my POV on this topic. I will add this huge issue for me which, along w/ artifacts all of which I experience despite an FG rate of 70 or even 80 (it's all my CPU can deliver w/ my config as it is) it's the big frame rate drop when moving the mouse to my 2nd display, which in my case is nearly constant) and then the often big judder when the mouse activates back on the MSFS main display.   These things have killed FG for me and I'm glad to be rid of it.  But the 4090 w/ its processing increase over the 3080Ti and its VRAM has totally improved my sim experience, and that mostly from the high VRAM which lets me set Render Scaling to 160% on my native 3440x display.  This has not only sharpened everything to the max w/o a hint of artifact but the 2-screen problem disappears as well w/ FG off, especially the judder issue which kills immersion repeatedly for me.  Another big plus is the high render scaling causes the cloud edge voxel grid to shrink accordingly and can't really see it any longer. 

I think it's possible a new CPU will improve the artifacts I get, but doubtful it will do much for the 2-screen issue.  If it does obliterate artifacts I can deal w/ the 2-screen issue by avoiding looking at it before moving the mouse cursor to the main screen, i.e. keep my gaze on the 2nd display until after clicking on the main.

So yes the 4090 was my best move at this point in time.  I previously assumed a new CPU was what was needed, and it will be nice to have soonish but really it's the VRAM and Render Scaling that comes w/ 4090 that wins the day here.  

Edited by Noel
  • Like 2

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

To be honest, and of course it is slightly in defense of my purchase, but with Frame Generation, the 4080 does almost an equally good job compared to the 4090, simply because baseline FPS are mostly limited by the CPU anyway. Only the relatively small VRAM speaks against the 4080. Besides that, I bet I get more FPS per Dollar 🤣

• Like 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Noel said:

You already fully appreciate my POV on this topic

I do, and although our experience with FG differs, I still appreciate your opinions. As long as your feelings on this matter are clear 😉

Jokes aside, I’m starting to think that your CPU is not the problem at all. You’re saying you’re getting “FG rate of 70 or even 80”, which I think should be above the threshold for FG to work properly. I’ve been doing a lot of testing (with AutoFPS) lately, and I’m fine with an RTSS-lock at 65 FPS.

I wasn’t aware that you’re using a multi-monitor setup. Could this be the cause of your FG-woes? Perhaps “the judder issue” is not the artifacts I described in the opening post. Have you tested with single monitor only? Does that make the judder go away?

34 minutes ago, AnkH said:

To be honest, and of course it is slightly in defense of my purchase, but with Frame Generation, the 4080 does almost an equally good job compared to the 4090, simply because baseline FPS are mostly limited by the CPU anyway. Only the relatively small VRAM speaks against the 4080. Besides that, I bet I get more FPS per Dollar 🤣

I don’t doubt this for a second. And I fully agree with the point you’re making re: CPU limitation. 

I was most likely suffering from grandiose delusions when I splurged on the 4090. Which means I should be acquitted, right? 😉

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

The main artifacts associated with FG for me are strobing out the mostly side view at certain tarmacs, like FB's KDEN heading east out of a gate, like B45, in dawn light, when panning or moving.  It's really not good at all, but limited yes to certain lighting conditions.  Now add to that glass cockpit lines/symbols whenever you pan no matter what the speed:  they shimmer or are just unstable for lack of a better descriptor.   Compared to rock solid stable imagery, they're not good.  I've mentioned the 2-screen issue many times.  Doesn't matter if the 2nd screen is connected to the same GPU,. or the iGPU on the mainboard.  If I click something on my 2nd display, IOW make it active, then MSFS frame rate drops by maybe 40%.  That's not so bad but when returning to the main screen the judder is no good.  I'm spoiled by perfection in imagery.  

The CPU limits greatly how much traffic I can use w/ FSLTL, what I can set TLOD to, and also would let me set my base FPS lock from 36 to say 46 or so and retain all the wonderment of my current config.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Noel said:

The CPU limits greatly how much traffic I can use w/ FSLTL, what I can set TLOD to, and also would let me set my base FPS lock from 36 to say 46 or so and retain all the wonderment of my current config.

Fair point. I’ve been able to run pretty high TLODs with my 12900. Not really necessary with airliners, but I do a lot of GA/scenic flights too. I use FSLTL w/ max 30 IFR, max 30 parked AI. On approach to EGLL etc I’m happy with TLOD 50 or 100 below 1000ft. I aim for FG-FPS 65+.

Not planning on a CPU-upgrade anytime soon. It has served me very well since I got it summer of ‘22. Hopefully I’ll be able to keep the 4090 for many years to come.

Edited by Cpt_Piett

Posted (edited)

I use my Ryzen 5900X between 20-40% (but no AI traffic and Core0 is excluded from the Affinity Mask) and the 3080Ti FTW3 around 60-85% with decent settings, DX12, FG, DLSS Quality. As you mentioned, the RTX4090 has the advantage of the VRAM and it alows higher settings (texture resolution and so on), 12GB is marginal sometimes for me. On my case I reach 80fps (FG and limited to 80 in NVCP) which is fine (4K but clearly not settings at Ultra or High). 

With RTX 4090 I think higher TLODs can be achieved also 😄

FG is not artifacts free for sure (depends as you mentioned by the achieveable minimum fps when there is not so much to interpolate, also panning is usually affected and so on), DX12 is still beta.

Edited by Vali
  • Like 1

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD

Every once in a while I'm quite happy of having a 1080ti and not having to think about that modern technological stuff 😄

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

Every once in a while I'm quite happy of having a 1080ti and not having to think about that modern technological stuff 😄

I'll be the first one to admit that it can be a curse. Just fell down into another rabbit hole called DLSS tweaks and now MSFS has gone completely black! 😅

Edited by Cpt_Piett

6 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Comments? Is it worth getting a RTX40-series card?

I'll wait until knowing what does MSFS 2024 require. Going to a 4060 Ti from my 3060 Ti is too small of an upgrade, and going 4070 would be overkill for a 1080p monitor. All I know is that my 5600X needs to be beefed up.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

26 minutes ago, Luis Hernandez said:

I'll wait until knowing what does MSFS 2024 require. Going to a 4060 Ti from my 3060 Ti is too small of an upgrade, and going 4070 would be overkill for a 1080p monitor. All I know is that my 5600X needs to be beefed up.

I made a pretty big leap in 2022 - 1080Ti to 4090. Like you say it's probably better to have a higher resolution to fully be able to appreciate the eye candy that RTX40-series brings.

It works well for steam gauge planes but I have issues with glass cockpits 

• Like 1

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

7 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

native FPS is too low - I find that at least 30 non-FG FPS is needed for FG to work properly

Interesting you say this, and I guess everything is system specific, but I have completely smooth frame times at 50 FG FPS.  Native that's 25fps, but absolutely smooth performance.  I can run at 60 FG fps,  but AutoFPS shows I am stuck around 100 TLOD.  Setting 50 FG FPS allows extra resource for more TLOD.  Interestingly, I can set 40 FG FPS (for more resources for TLOD) and still get completely smooth frame times.  Perhaps MSFS is well suited to low FG FPS as I haven't tried in any other games.

A new PC or upgrade is not near, but I'm still happy with my PC for now. Absolutely with Noel on this - smooth frame times equal a smooth and flyable sim with little difference between 40 or 60 FG FPS visually.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home