Sign in to follow this  
btacon

Chasing The Sun. April 8th Eclipse Watching In MSFS 2020

2 minutes ago, FormulaJet said:

Changing time and date ingame works, gonna try it when I get back from holiday

Yep, it was one of the very first things I did in this Sim shortly after release, picking a previous Eclipse and going to that date.

• Upvote 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Posted (edited)

Very good video !

Viewing The 2024 Solar Eclipse in Microsoft Flight Simulator - YouTube

This proofs HOW GOOD! MSFS 2020 really is at reproducing some aspects of the Real World !

I have to take my hat off to this sort of details !!!

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Wow…kudos to the team at Asobo for doing this!

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

3 hours ago, jcomm said:

Very good video !

Viewing The 2024 Solar Eclipse in Microsoft Flight Simulator - YouTube

This proofs HOW GOOD! MSFS 2020 really is at reproducing some aspects of the Real World !

I have to take my hat off to this sort of details !!!

I can't understand why it can show totality in the 1991 eclipse but not in the 2024 eclipse??

4 minutes ago, Lonesome Cowboy Burt said:

I can't understand why it can show totality in the 1991 eclipse but not in the 2024 eclipse??

Probably different observation points relative to the eclipse 100% line (?)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

21 hours ago, btacon said:

Share your thoughts and plans here.  Me, I’m going to try to keep in the path of totality as much as possible. Don’t know if the sim will recreate totality but it does present eclipses.

-B

Be careful.  On the official forums I was told that "it didn't matter" how fast I needed to go to keep up with totality.

I didn't ask if it mattered.  I asked how fast I needed to go.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lonesome Cowboy Burt said:

outdated calculations probably.

Edited by Tuskin38

Where was this guy viewing the 1991 eclipse? The path of totality for that one did not cross mainland USA.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jcomm said:

Probably different observation points relative to the eclipse 100% line (?)

I used the Nasa site to track totality, can't imagine they got it wrong and I only got the same view that guy in the video showed

Edited by Lonesome Cowboy Burt
  • Like 1

Has anyone found a good time / location to see totality?  I just tried in Mirimichi New Brunswick, which was in the path of totality, but I was unable to get a full eclipse, only partial.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

1 hour ago, regis9 said:

Has anyone found a good time / location to see totality?  I just tried in Mirimichi New Brunswick, which was in the path of totality, but I was unable to get a full eclipse, only partial.

Try this. About 95% totality from about two min on.

-B

• Like 2

The path of the 1991 July 11 total solar eclipse was nowhere near Russia, so the accuracy is way off. No wonder Dave is unable to see totality at New Brunswick on 2024 April 8.

• Like 2

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

On 4/9/2024 at 2:58 PM, Christopher Low said:

Where was this guy viewing the 1991 eclipse? The path of totality for that one did not cross mainland USA.

Agreed. The path of totality was much further south over Mexico. The Missouri area had less than 50% of the sun eclipsed.

IMG_0270.png

@btacon, the furthest point west that could see the 8 April eclipse was NW Scotland and the west coast of Ireland and that was very close to sunset.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks yeah I tried to view the 1991 eclipse from Costa Rica but didn’t have any luck.  I found a town that was apparently one of the best places to view totality for that one but didn’t see it.

Dave

It's a minor thing, considering how rare these things are, but considering that the engine is theoretically capable of simulating a totality, with correct lighting and all, they really should fix the orbital calculations so that the eclipses actually work as they should.

• Upvote 2