Little known, because it doesn't exist. But it sounds like a proper 1960s limo, perhaps a signature version of the Super Snipe maybe.

Anyway, just got an email from IniBuilds that mentioned the Horten Ho299 for sale. Had to rush straight over and grab that one! Always fascinated by some of those German WWII experimental aircraft. Nasty bunch of folk but they seemed to know a bit about engineering and design. At the same time I'd also spotted a payware version of the Secret Studio's Humber Bridge. I have the freeware version (from flightsim.to) and the bridge itself is fairly similar but the immediate landside scenery is new for the payware version, and it was cheap and I like to support this sort of thing.

So a quick blast off from EGNT and up the river to gawp at the scenery. Not much flying, as is often the case with me, but I love the level of detail around this bridge package.

And for me anyway, the Horten is a real thing of beauty.

9kdaKec.jpg

Dialled in a bit of weather
JE4oSlH.jpg

NVbob68.jpg

57vDrxL.jpg

I'm always impressed by bridges. 'specially bigguns! I'm obviously still well in touch with my inner child.
lt1gB7p.jpg

Now I realise that if you're zooming past this area at FL200 and 300 kts or similar this sort of thing will be lost on you, but this is what makes the sim for me. I just love this sort of detail and am happy to spend ages wandering around with the drone cam exploring down here.
WBAqnxP.jpg

QSaiZlO.jpg

1QXclH9.jpg

2XRe7NR.jpg

82P7hFL.jpg

0QKDRUN.jpg

Ehb3SHF.jpg

OK, back to the flight
WGyFvBK.jpg

ozJX0SA.jpg

wUSEp4Q.jpg

I continue to be amazed, delighted and incredibly impressed by MSFS and the various bits and pieces available for it. The sheer scope of it all is incredible - pretty much the whole world available in this sort of detail. And I know it's all very much an individual thing and everybody has their own preferences etc, but I read (well, glance at) some of the threads in here bemoaning this or that developer and the perceived inadequacies of a particular aircraft or airport and I wonder if I'm using the same sim. We really have never had it so good!

Although my inner cynic will now be waiting for a post from someone claiming how a real Ho229 pilot they know has stated categorically that the flight model of this thing is inadequate, and furthermore the cockpit switches are not making anything remotely like the correct sound when clicked. Hmmm, maybe I'll actually start such a thread and see what happens . . .

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

Really remarkable. Perhaps your most impressive scenery exploration series to date. Extremely fine close-in shots...and then there's that beautiful sky. 🙂

• Like 1

Great set buddy !

cheers 😉

• Like 1

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

so old, and it still looks futuristic!

• Like 1

All my FSX/P3D repaints are here on Avsim, for my MSFS repaints, go to FS.2

Posted (edited)

The bottom set of your close-up screenshots are amazing, Andy...so life-like...that's one thing unique to MSFS, in my previous SIMs whenever I would swoop down to the ground level for scenery that looked so nice and inviting from up above, it would turn into a blurry quagmire...🙂...with bridges, roads, and moving vehicles (apparently) entering and exiting the living room windows of homes...🙂...

And, about Experimental German aircraft...it was a quite a focus by the FSX/P3D freeware developers...quite illuminating part of aviation history indeed...A nice and curious one here...

Edited by P_7878
  • Like 1

On 4/13/2024 at 3:58 PM, John F said:

Really remarkable. Perhaps your most impressive scenery exploration series to date. Extremely fine close-in shots...and then there's that beautiful sky. 🙂

Cheers John. Don't feel I can really take much credit for these explorations. It's down to the quality of the scenery really. And this package is definitely one of the best I've seen so far. Confused me at first though as the developer has set the LODs so that these fancy shoreline features don't show until you're quite close in. Good idea for performance I guess, but I thought I had a problem initially when I could find that row of cottages at first.

On 4/13/2024 at 5:37 PM, pmplayer said:

Great set buddy !

cheers 😉

Cheers PMP!

On 4/14/2024 at 7:15 AM, jankees said:

so old, and it still looks futuristic!

Thank Jankees, and it really does look very modern, doesn't it. Could have come straight out of the Skunkworks just a few years ago, and wouldn't look out of place in modern clothes with the stars and stripes on the tail (if it had one <grin>)

On 4/14/2024 at 3:49 PM, P_7878 said:

The bottom set of your close-up screenshots are amazing, Andy...so life-like...that's one thing unique to MSFS, in my previous SIMs whenever I would swoop down to the ground level for scenery that looked so nice and inviting from up above, it would turn into a blurry quagmire...🙂...with bridges, roads, and moving vehicles (apparently) entering and exiting the living room windows of homes...🙂...

And, about Experimental German aircraft...it was a quite a focus by the FSX/P3D freeware developers...quite illuminating part of aviation history indeed...A nice and curious one here...

Thanks P_7878!  I agree about this aspect of MSFS. Even with TrueEarth in P3D if you got down low it would be mostly a horror show. XP 11/12 gets pretty close though, and actually exceeds MSFS for me in some aspects - I have actually spent time "driving" around some of the freeway systems in XP and found it well acceptable. But MSFS is usually (not totally, but >90% of the time) a delight to go down to rooftop/treetop height in, even in the default areas (i.e. with no addons for a location). And yes, I had/have a lot of weird and interesting old freeware planes for FSX. Enough to keep making think about setting up an FSX system just to be able to use some of them again. I found some old screenshots from back then recently and where there's not too much in the way of close up scenery (so mostly sky and plane) it looks pretty good. In my wilder moments I even contemplate reinstalling P3D, probably v4, for the same reason - lots of nice planes that still haven't made it to MSFS (and most of which are possibly unlikely too - that's why P3D v4, lots of the good ones never even got updated for v5, let alone v6)

• Like 2

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

Wow, what a surprise, Andy. A few years ago I watched a video on the US History Channel, where some folks rebuilt the Horten from plans they got from Germany. I don't think it was flyable, but just to look at it was quite something. At that time I thought, how cool it would be to have this in FSX. And now you showed me that inibuilds just launched it. Instant buy! Thank you so much! 

But also your scenery shots are most impressive!

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

Great set, perfect setup of the sim, looks very good. And the Humber Horten seems to be something special...🙂

I agree, exploring nice sceneries in the sims is most interesting beside flying...

PC: Ryzen 7 3700x AM4, 16 GB RAM, GTX 1060 6GB, Storage SSD 3TB, HDD 8TB, USB 8TB, 2 Screens, Win10-64

SIMs: FSX SE, P3d 3.4/4.5/6.1, Xplane11/12, MSFS, Aerofly 4

Lovely pics.  I love red planes too!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

On 4/16/2024 at 10:12 PM, bernd1151 said:

Instant buy! Thank you so much! 

Cheers Bernd, and you're welcome. I thought this one might appeal to you. I also grabbed that 'airshow assistant' addon and plan to have a bit of a play with Horten formation flying - that should be fun!

On 4/16/2024 at 10:38 PM, andiflyit said:

Great set, perfect setup of the sim, looks very good. And the Humber Horten seems to be something special...🙂

I agree, exploring nice sceneries in the sims is most interesting beside flying...

Cheers Andreas! Yep, that is definitely something special - really glad it came along.

20 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

Lovely pics.  I love red planes too!

Cheers Ryan! I feel a Homer SImpson moment coming on - "mmmmmm, shiiineeeyyyyy, reddddddddd" (sounds better in my head than it looks written out <grin>)