threexgreen

FSHud Performance Latest Beta Build

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, threexgreen said:

I see. It uses FPS as a base though, regardless of stutters, doesn't it? FPS are taking a hit whenever FSHud is running, but they are still always within my accepted margin with the traffic settings I use. So I don't have a reason so far to use the balancer.

The stutters are what's causing VR flight to become awful, and as far as I can see frame times aren't taken into account with the balancer. Stutters weren't an issue before the separation update. I also don't believe there should be such performance degredation with a 7950X3D. Something isn't right here.

Have you tried to use Performance Balancer by setting freeze below FPS to your usual value (30FPS for example), while remove AI Traffic pretty low (15FPS or 10FPS)?
After using it with those settings, you still getting stutters?

Something to mention - Performance Balancer is not only Traffic Remover, it is also reducing/increasing CPU utilization instantly according to FPS drops (like stutters).

P. S. No need to say on every message how horrible and worse it is 🙂 - we've got the idea...

Edited by FSHud
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, threexgreen said:

Not everyone has a 40-series card though and frame generation doesn't work in VR anyway. I'm sure that with FG performance is fine, but these are different use cases. With 50/50 I typically see FPS dropping from 42 to around 29, which makes a huge difference in VR. I think that's quite a performance hit on a 7950X3D and shows FSHud is definitely hard on performance. These numbers are from a dedicated test scenario btw with no programs running that would hit the CPU, other than the sim itself and the PMDG 737.

I keep thinking that some fine-tuning of the settings is needed to get the performance you want. Your CPU is top of the line, so I think you should be able to get acceptable performance.

In the video I posted (which was the release version as I was not aware of the beta version at that stage) I showed how it's possible to get great performance with reasonable settings. 

I just departed from KDEN (this time on the latest beta build) in iniBuilds A300 using 30/20 and the performance balancer tuned according to my hardware. I didn't notice any issues with performance (but didn't do any CapFrameX tests this time). 

I don't think FG matters that much here, as the scenario is mainthread-limited (I got stutters with FG even at 50 FPS).

2 hours ago, threexgreen said:

I'm not using the performance balance feature.

Since you're having performance issues, wouldn't it be a good idea to use the performance balancer?

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, FSHud said:

P. S. No need to say on every message how horrible and worse it is 🙂 - we've got the idea...

I'm saying this because I'm not sure if the idea did get across. That's not supposed to be an attack but an explanation. It seemed to me the focus was still on FPS rather than the stutters, which are causing the problems.

I'll try what you suggested on my next flight. My reasoning behind my comment on the FPS balancer not being a solution for this particular issue, in my opinion, is that FPS are fine, or at least as they were before, but that the stutters are excessive (i. e. seem disproportionate to the little amount of traffic used), are only occurring after the last update and only occurr during arrival, while I'm not getting stutters on departure with the same amount of traffic. Also, when I increase the amount of traffic FPS go down further, but I'm not getting stutters from the increase of traffic alone, only in a specific phase of flight.

This seems to be a more specific issue to me rather than an expected consequence, especially since I would expect my CPU to be able to handle the load without the impact on (VR) flight I described, as it did before the update. I'm going to try what you're suggesting on my next flight (that'll be a few days), though I believe that if the balancer indeed provides alleviation of the stutters, it would a workaround rather than a fix.

Tl;dr: I keep mentioning the extent of the performance degradation because I believe it to be a symptom of a deeper issue and I'm unsure if that's clear.

What happens when the balancer stops traffic calculations? Do the aircraft stop?

Edited by threexgreen

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, threexgreen said:

I'm saying this because I'm not sure if the idea did get across. That's not supposed to be an attack but an explanation. It seemed to me the focus was still on FPS rather than the stutters, which are causing the problems.

I'll try what you suggested on my next flight. My reasoning behind my comment on the FPS balancer not being a solution for this particular issue, in my opinion, is that FPS are fine, or at least as they were before, but that the stutters are excessive (i. e. seem disproportionate to the little amount of traffic used), are only occurring after the last update and only occurr during arrival, while I'm not getting stutters on departure with the same amount of traffic. Also, when I increase the amount of traffic FPS go down further, but I'm not getting stutters from the increase of traffic alone, only in a specific phase of flight.

This seems to be a more specific issue to me rather than an expected consequence, especially since I would expect my CPU to be able to handle the load without the impact on (VR) flight I described, as it did before the update. I'm going to try what you're suggesting on my next flight (that'll be a few days), though I believe that if the balancer indeed provides alleviation of the stutters, it would a workaround rather than a fix.

Tl;dr: I keep mentioning the extent of the performance degradation because I believe it to be a symptom of a deeper issue and I'm unsure if that's clear.

What happens when the balancer stops traffic calculations? Do the aircraft stop?

Performance Balancer also affects on stutters, because during the stutter you have very short FPS drops (which is enough to temporary suspend calculations).
When I'm talking about suspend calculations - it is something that is happening in real-time in resolutions less than a second, so even if you have very short FPS drop - Performance Balancer will know to handle it.

Traffic Calculations is most CPU utilizing part - it only affects on AI Aircrafts to be injected and it doesn't affects on already injected aircrafts.
Handling and piloting already injected aircraft doesn't take CPU resources.

Thank you

Edited by FSHud
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Your CPU is top of the line, so I think you should be able to get acceptable performance.

That's my point. I don't however, and since the last update I get these stutters on arrival that are severe enough to make it virtually impossible to fly in VR (again, not an attack on FSHud but relevant to my point) at the same traffic settings that worked reasonably well before and are conservative. This leads me to believe there is more going on than this being an expected consequence of 20/20 traffic settings.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

3 minutes ago, FSHud said:

Traffic Calculations is most CPU utilizing part - it only affects on AI Aircrafts to be injected and it doesn't affects on already injected aircrafts.
Handling and piloting already injected aircraft doesn't take CPU resources.

That's actually really good to know. What happens before AI aircraft get injected/what do the calculations do if they don't pilot already injected aircraft?

1 minute ago, threexgreen said:

That's actually really good to know. What happens before AI aircraft get injected/what do the calculations do if they don't pilot already injected aircraft?

Traffic Calculations calculates and estimates aircraft flight route - it's a dense operation to calculate full flight path that aircraft needs to perform, aircraft conflicts and proper locations.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FSHud said:

Traffic Calculations calculates and estimates aircraft flight route - it's a dense operation to calculate full flight path that aircraft needs to perform, aircraft conflicts and proper locations.

…hence it should be expected that these calculations will have an effect on performance, and the need for some trade-offs to be made. IMO the performance balancer is a very intelligent tool that I’ll use a lot, even though I have a high-end rig. 

What works for me at the biggest airports is modest AI traffic (30/20), TLOD max 100 and performance balancer tuned according to my hardware. 

• Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

…hence it should be expected that these calculations will have an effect on performance, and the need for some trade-offs to be made.

Again, I'm not expecting to use a ton of traffic with no performance impact. My issue are excessive stutters resulting from little traffic at a magnitude beyond normal (i. e. beyond what was the case before the update and beyond what would be expected consequences from using the addon). This is why I keep repeating the extent of the issue; not to annoy anyone but because I'm not sure if I'm getting my point across.

@FSHud If I file a ticket from the app, is it better to do a flight without the balancer so the stutters are 'recorded'?

Edited by threexgreen

22 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I made a video showing that it’s possible to get great performance with FSHud - with the right settings. The performance balancer works great.

Luckily it was without the Balancer. I was getting my hopes high. The FPS you report are raw or with FG?

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), ID-Cooling SE-224-XTS air cooler, Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

1 minute ago, Luis Hernandez said:

Luckily it was without the Balancer. I was getting my hopes high. The FPS you report are raw or with FG?

I’m getting increasingly confused, as earlier in this thread it was brought to my attention that I’m not on the latest version. Which in a way was correct, as I was not on the beta build (I am now).

Are you saying that the performance balancer only exists in the beta version? 

I was using FG in the video yes. 

21 minutes ago, threexgreen said:

Again, I'm not expecting to use a ton of traffic with no performance impact. My issue are excessive stutters resulting from little traffic at a magnitude beyond normal (i. e. beyond what was the case before the update and beyond what would be expected consequences from using the addon). This is why I keep repeating the extent of the issue; not to annoy anyone but because I'm not sure if I'm getting my point across.

@FSHud If I file a ticket from the app, is it better to do a flight without the balancer so the stutters are 'recorded'?

You can open a ticket for any reason and this is the most recommended way.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, FSHud said:

You can open a ticket for any reason and this is the most recommended way.

I thought that would include a tech log of some sort for you to look at?

Edited by threexgreen

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, threexgreen said:

I thought that would include a tech log of some sort for you to look at?

Technical logs are attached with every message in the ticket.
But I'm just trying to understand the problem here?
"Why the problem "Stutters" does exist when I'm not using the solution "Performance Balancer"?"

Edited by FSHud

24 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Are you saying that the performance balancer only exists in the beta version? 

Thanks for your reply. From what I understand from FSHud videos, the balancer is a new one. At least there are some subtle changes to the UI that suggest the balancer was updated. I'll give it a try tonight.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), ID-Cooling SE-224-XTS air cooler, Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.