Sign in to follow this  
threexgreen

FSHud Performance Latest Beta Build

Posted (edited)

Does anyone else see severely degraded performance with the latest build? I'm not sure if it's the extra calculations for separation but since that came out, I'm getting horrid stutters starting on descent when FSHud manages all other aircraft approaching my destination. As if FSHud wasn't hard enough already on performance (15 FPS loss with 20 parked and 20 active aircraft), it now hammers my CPU so much from descent onward I'm getting stutters that make flying in VR nearly impossible because the picture is sort of wobbling around like with motion reprojection when you don't get enough FPS. The in-game FPS counter is frightening too look at. FPS seem (as bad) as before this update, but the stutters are awful. As soon as I closed FSHud today my FPS jumped up by about 20 and stutters were gone completely.

That's on a 7950X3D. I guess it's not an issue for someone running frame generation at 80 FPS, but I don't know what CPU you would need for this not to wreck VR performance. The performance difference with and without FSHud running at low traffic volumes is huge.

Edit: Yes, I'm going to report this.

Edited by threexgreen

JetPhotos | Airliners.net
Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

16 hours ago, threexgreen said:

Does anyone else see severely degraded performance with the latest build? I'm not sure if it's the extra calculations for separation but since that came out, I'm getting horrid stutters starting on descent when FSHud manages all other aircraft approaching my destination. As if FSHud wasn't hard enough already on performance (15 FPS loss with 20 parked and 20 active aircraft), it now hammers my CPU so much from descent onward I'm getting stutters that make flying in VR nearly impossible because the picture is sort of wobbling around like with motion reprojection when you don't get enough FPS. The in-game FPS counter is frightening too look at. FPS seem (as bad) as before this update, but the stutters are awful. As soon as I closed FSHud today my FPS jumped up by about 20 and stutters were gone completely.

That's on a 7950X3D. I guess it's not an issue for someone running frame generation at 80 FPS, but I don't know what CPU you would need for this not to wreck VR performance. The performance difference with and without FSHud running at low traffic volumes is huge.

Edit: Yes, I'm going to report this.

I, too, had CPU usage related problems with FSHud. In my case CPU temperatures became very high, I did contact the developer but this contact did not result in a solution for my problem. I was informed that my problem could be hardware related. My task-manager did not point into that direction.  And so it is goodbye FSHud for me.

I hope you will get a better result out of your contact with FSHud.

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, Noctua NH-U9S Cooler, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

Posted (edited)

There is Performance Balancer feature which came exactly to avoid those issues.
There is detailed video on how to properly configure and use it:

Besides that, we continue to release updates almost every week which also affects on Performance.

Thank you

Edited by FSHud
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, FSHud said:

There is Performance Balancer feature which came exactly to avoid those issues.
There is detailed video on how to properly configure and use it:

Besides that, we continue to release updates almost every week which also affects on Performance.

Thank you

I'm aware of this feature. It works great, but I'm already running low traffic volumes for the sake for performance, so when this feature further reduces the traffic volume there will barely be traffic, which kind of defeats the purpose of FSHud imho.

As for the stutters, something isn't right. This started happening after the separation update. Low traffic (20 parked, 20 active planes) suddenly results in stutters that make flying (at least in VR) virtually impossible on arrival, and unfortunately makes FSHud unusable in this case.

I'm not a software developer, but I don't believe such low traffic volumes should cause such a performance impact, especially since there were no stutters before. I don't think the performance balance feature is, nor should it be a solution for the stutters. As I said before, while FPS do take a huge hit with FSHud running, they are pretty much equal to before the separation update. It's the stutters that are the problem.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, threexgreen said:

I'm aware of this feature. It works great, but I'm already running low traffic volumes for the sake for performance, so when this feature further reduces the traffic volume there will barely be traffic, which kind of defeats the purpose of FSHud imho.

As for the stutters, something isn't right. This started happening after the separation update. Low traffic (20 parked, 20 active planes) suddenly results in stutters that make flying (at least in VR) virtually impossible on arrival, and unfortunately makes FSHud unusable in this case.

I'm not a software developer, but I don't believe such low traffic volumes should cause such a performance impact, especially since there were no stutters before. I don't think the performance balance feature is, nor should it be a solution for the stutters. As I said before, while FPS do take a huge hit with FSHud running, they are pretty much equal to before the separation update. It's the stutters that are the problem.

Regarding stutters - as you can see in the video, there is lots of AI Traffic and no stutters.
I think it is something that is not related to FSHud CPU calculations for AI Traffic (which is completely stopped when FPS reaches below specified).
Can you please contact us via application tickets for further investigation of stutters cause?

Thank you

Edited by FSHud
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Don't think I've tried the Performance Balancer, it's been a while since I last used FSHud. Reading this thread I was thinking if it would help change some core affinities using Process Lasso. 

Anyway, I'm about to load into iniBuilds Heathrow in the A300-600R to do some performance tests. 

But unfortunately I've forgotten how to inject traffic with FSHud. Does it use it's own injector? Should I use the FSLTL injector? What's the difference between BGL, AIG and External? 

If there's a manual I'll be able to find the answers to these questions. EDIT: It's easily accessible from the app. 

Another thing - I'm guessing the Performance Balancer uses the "native" FPS (not frame generation FPS). 

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | MSI Gaming Trio X RTX 4090 | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 32GB | Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

dYn55y0_d.jpg?maxwidth=520&shape=thumb&f

I made a video showing that it’s possible to get great performance with FSHud - with the right settings. The performance balancer works great.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | MSI Gaming Trio X RTX 4090 | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 32GB | Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD

18 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I made a video showing that it’s possible to get great performance with FSHud - with the right settings. The performance balancer works great.

Mate, but You have old version. Without separation and FPS balance. 

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 64GB RAM 6000MHz, Asus Prime B650+, 850W PSU

English is not my first language.

Posted (edited)

Hey,

how can i get the beta version?

may be someone can help, i have a lot of twice aircrafts on many airports. I use external (FSLTL) and AIG in the FSHud settings.

Joachim

Edited by Prisco

Regards Joachim

32 minutes ago, rutrA said:

Mate, but You have old version. Without separation and FPS balance. 

That’s so strange, I thought I made sure it updated before making the video. It even says “your version is up to date”. Any suggestions what more I can do to get the new version?

4 hours ago, FSHud said:

I think it is something that is not related to FSHud CPU calculations for AI Traffic (which is completely stopped when FPS reaches below specified).

It has to be though. The sim is showing the main thread getting hammered with large fluctuations in frame times and as soon as I close FSHud it goes back to normal. I'm not using the performance balance feature.

I will file a ticket as soon as I have the time, thanks.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, threexgreen said:

It has to be though. The sim is showing the main thread getting hammered with large fluctuations in frame times and as soon as I close FSHud it goes back to normal. I'm not using the performance balance feature.

I will file a ticket as soon as I have the time, thanks.

The performance balancer exactly intended to avoid this (as shown in the video).
The traffic removal happens according second setting (in worst case) - but before, it stops AI Traffic calculations (freeze below FPS) which is using CPU.

Edited by FSHud

I run 50 / 50 and maintain a pretty much locked 40fps with FG in every possible scenario on a 5800x3d. I have no issues with performance.

35 minutes ago, FSHud said:

The performance balancer exactly intended to avoid this (as shown in the video).
The traffic removal happens according second setting (in worst case) - but before, it stops AI Traffic calculations (freeze below FPS) which is using CPU.

I see. It uses FPS as a base though, regardless of stutters, doesn't it? FPS are taking a hit whenever FSHud is running, but they are still always within my accepted margin with the traffic settings I use. So I don't have a reason so far to use the balancer.

The stutters are what's causing VR flight to become awful, and as far as I can see frame times aren't taken into account with the balancer. Stutters weren't an issue before the separation update. I also don't believe there should be such performance degredation with a 7950X3D. Something isn't right here.

Just now, Brocky120 said:

I run 50 / 50 and maintain a pretty much locked 40fps with FG in every possible scenario on a 5800x3d. I have no issues with performance.

Not everyone has a 40-series card though and frame generation doesn't work in VR anyway. I'm sure that with FG performance is fine, but these are different use cases. With 50/50 I typically see FPS dropping from 42 to around 29, which makes a huge difference in VR. I think that's quite a performance hit on a 7950X3D and shows FSHud is definitely hard on performance. These numbers are from a dedicated test scenario btw with no programs running that would hit the CPU, other than the sim itself and the PMDG 737.

• Like 1