threexgreen

FSHud Performance Latest Beta Build

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Luis Hernandez said:

Thanks for your reply. From what I understand from FSHud videos, the balancer is a new one. At least there are some subtle changes to the UI that suggest the balancer was updated. I'll give it a try tonight.

Performance balancer does exist for a long time (in version 1.2 as well).
In version 1.2 it is called "Limit traffic by FPS" - which doesn't give exact definition of what it does.
Therefore we decided to change the name to emphasize that mostly it is intended to keep stable FPS in Simulator using several ways.

The video was released because this feature wasn't clear enough for many users.

Edited by FSHud

Just now, FSHud said:

This functionality works the same.

So, there hasn't been any changes regarding that functionality during 2024, right? I have the beta version, but haven't updated in the last month.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), ID-Cooling SE-224-XTS air cooler, Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

1 minute ago, Luis Hernandez said:

So, there hasn't been any changes regarding that functionality during 2024, right? I have the beta version, but haven't updated in the last month.

Regarding "Performance Balancer" - no.
Because it does what intended to do.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, FSHud said:

Technical logs are attached with every message in the ticket.
But I'm just trying to understand the problem here?
"Why the problem "Stutters" does exist when I'm not using the solution "Performance Balancer"?"

There is no problem, I was just wondering if the balancer were to stop CPU calculations and I got no stutters, if a performance issue would still be apparent in the file or if it would be 'hidden'.

I managed to rearrange some things and am going to do a flight now without the balancer in case that's better for logging the stutter issue.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

10 minutes ago, threexgreen said:

There is no problem, I was just wondering if the balancer were to stop CPU calculations and I got no stutters, if a performance issue would still be apparent in the file or if it would be 'hidden'.

I managed to rearrange some things and am going to do a flight now without the balancer in case that's better for logging the stutter issue.

Hello, I'm using it with performance balancer, I'm usually doing straight 2 flights (with turnaround) and I never had stutters. I'm not understand, why you don't want use balancer? It was designed exactly for that case! 

Also what hardware do you have?

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, FSHud said:

Performance balancer does exist for a long time (in version 1.2 as well).

Thanks, this clears things up. 

I’ll do another test session today using the latest beta version. Although to my understanding the performance balancer will essentially work the same way as in the release version.

Why do I think the performance balancer is a very intelligent feature: As I tried to explain in the video, MSFS is still not very well optimized for multithreading. Most of the time, it’s mainthread (CPU) limited. Hence, poor performance is usually the result of this (unless one has a very outdated GPU or run a resolution that is too high).

Adding AI traffic complicates this further, as more calculations are put onto the mainthread. Then, on top of that, there’s the ATC calculations that FSHud needs to do. As the mainthread keeps getting overwhelmed, there will be stutters, and eventually a reduction is FPS. Most likely both. 

The performance balancer can improve this by:

• Stopping further AI injection as FPS falls below a set value
  • Removing AI as FPS falls below a set value

IMO this will both help maintain a desired FPS, and reduce the change of stutters. I was surprised that I could run a decent amount of traffic at iniBuilds Heathrow stutter-free, using the performance balancer. 

@FSHud please correct me if I’m incorrect.

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

31 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Thanks, this clears things up. 

I’ll do another test session today using the latest beta version. Although to my understanding the performance balancer will essentially work the same way as in the release version.

Why do I think the performance balancer is a very intelligent feature: As I tried to explain in the video, MSFS is still not very well optimized for multithreading. Most of the time, it’s mainthread (CPU) limited. Hence, poor performance is usually the result of this (unless one has a very outdated GPU or run a resolution that is too high).

Adding AI traffic complicates this further, as more calculations are put onto the mainthread. Then, on top of that, there’s the ATC calculations that FSHud needs to do. As the mainthread keeps getting overwhelmed, there will be stutters, and eventually a reduction is FPS. Most likely both. 

The performance balancer can improve this by:

• Stopping further AI injection as FPS falls below a set value
  • Removing AI as FPS falls below a set value

IMO this will both help maintain a desired FPS, and reduce the change of stutters. I was surprised that I could run a decent amount of traffic at iniBuilds Heathrow stutter-free, using the performance balancer. 

@FSHud please correct me if I’m incorrect.

If I understand correctly the FSHud calculations don't run inside the sim itself but in an app outside of the sim. I wonder if some affinity settings would help with stutters of the sim? By moving the FSHud calculations away from the MSFS main thread?

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

If I understand correctly the FSHud calculations don't run inside the sim itself but in an app outside of the sim. I wonder if some affinity settings would help with stutters of the sim? By moving the FSHud calculations away from the MSFS main thread?

During the development of Performance Balancer - we did try to split FSHud and MSFS to different CPU cores (manually) - but there was no effect.

Due to the fact that there are still some parts in MSFS running on CPU - it is kind of "fractious".
Basically it doesn't like any CPU usage "noises" in the system and FPS becomes unstable almost immediately.

Besides that, things like priority and affinity can't be fully controlled in Windows - it's just kind of recommendation to OS.
At some point, when it comes to CPU spikes (and it definitely does in terms of MSFS and FSHud) - the OS will just use anything it has.

Edited by FSHud
  • Like 2

I have FSLTL and AIG traffic installed, but I primarily use AIG for my AI traffic. I get the feeling that FSHUD functions better with FSLTL. I understand, when using AIG there is no need to run the "Traffic Controller", FSHUD will use the "aigtraffic data folder" if it is located in the Community folder.

i913900KF (5.8GHz) | Case: Fractal PopAir RGB I Gigabyte Z790 UD AX| MSI Gaming RTX 4070Ti Super 16GB | Kingston Fury Beast 32GB DDR5 | SOLIDIGM P41 Plus 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD | Samsung SSD 870 EVO 2TB | Thermalright Frozen Notte 240 MM Liquid Cooling | Samsung 41" Monitor 1920 x 1080 60Hz | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Logitech G Pro pedals | Tobii EyeTracker | 850W Thermaltake 80+ GOLD |

Posted (edited)

@FSHud Life got in the way and I'm going to have to try doing a flight in the next few days. If it's any help I can file a ticket now, though I'm not sure if it wouldn't be better to file it with the associated log right after a flight of experiencing stutters in case the log contains any information on that. I was at the gate with FSHud already running before I had to abandon the flight, so I'm not sure if that overwrites any information from the last flight.

Edited by threexgreen

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

Just now, threexgreen said:

@FSHud Life got in the way and I'm going to have to try doing a flight in the next few days. If it's any help I can file a ticket now, though I'm not sure if it wouldn't be better to file it with the associated log right after a flight of experiencing stutters.

I'm not sure I understand you.
Why do you want to perform a flight without Performance Balancer to show that there are stutters?
What exactly you're trying to achieve?

For the record, I have a 7950x3d. I have now quit using game mode and you process lasso to run MSFS on CCD0 and the rest on CCD1. I know I can see the isolated process and the different CCD on task manager. I run 15packed /30 active and still have totaly 'acceptable' FPS. For example 105-115 fps and EGLL /KLAX without FSHud and ~ 95 running FSHud sitting at the gate.  My old I7 6600 CPU was saturated with FShud last year, but not now. I know I have a top-end system, but it is possible to have a high FPS stutter free experience.

• Like 2

Vincent Rouleau

AMD Ryzen 7950X3d / 32.0GB G.SKILL Neo DDR5 6000 / Gigabyte  GeForce® RTX 4080 16Gig / / Samsung C49RG9 49' /ASUS  PB287QQ ‑ 27" UHD / AGAMMIX 2TB / Samsung 970 PRO 1TB /  PNY SSD 1TB / Windows 11 / Gigabyte B650M Elite Motherboard

Regarding the Balancer, when I use FG, should I double the values or half them in the FSHud UI?

1 hour ago, FSHud said:

I'm not sure I understand you.
Why do you want to perform a flight without Performance Balancer to show that there are stutters?
What exactly you're trying to achieve?

I'm having an issue since the separation update where I'm experiencing severe stutters. I haven't used the balancer before because I'm using traffic settings that keep FPS within an accepted margin, so there was just no need to use this feature before. I understand that using the balancer now that I experience severe stutters can alleviate the issue.

I don't know how the technical log works. So I was wondering if this file records any information as to whether there are performance issues, and why. If the balance feature however were to halt CPU calculations and, as a result, the stutters didn't occur, I was asking if there would still be information on the stutter issue in that file, or if it were better not to use the balancer to ensure the stutters occur so they can be recorded in the technical log to be able to better analyze the issue. Essentially, if I took away the problem, there would be no problem to record, right?

The reasons why I think there is a deeper problem that I'm running into and this is not just me using unreasonable settings are:

A) I use traffic settings 20/20, which depict only little traffic to account for FPS.
B) These settings worked fine from when I first used FSHud until the separation update, with no performance issues and no stutters.
C) I haven't changed anything in FSHud, MSFS, or my system that might explain a sudden performance loss.
D) The stutters occur only at a specific stage of flight. In other words, before arrival I use the same traffic settings but there are no stutters whatsoever.
E) The stutters are more than your usual stutters. They are so severe that the picture in VR keeps lagging and freezing every few seconds.
F) My CPU is generally powerful enough to handle any decent load. It is normally able to handle traffic at 20/20 without any stutters, as it did before.

I don't generally oppose using the balancer, but I don't think it should be a solution to the problem in this case because I see no reason why my system wouldn't be able to handle traffic at 20/20 without the balancer all of a sudden - as it always did before.

This is a summary of what I said in the thread. I hope this makes it clearer. I don't know how else to explain what I'm trying to convey.

1 hour ago, vincentrouleau said:

For the record, I have a 7950x3d. I have now quit using game mode and you process lasso to run MSFS on CCD0 and the rest on CCD1. I know I can see the isolated process and the different CCD on task manager. I run 15packed /30 active and still have totaly 'acceptable' FPS. For example 105-115 fps and EGLL /KLAX without FSHud and ~ 95 running FSHud sitting at the gate.  My old I7 6600 CPU was saturated with FShud last year, but not now. I know I have a top-end system, but it is possible to have a high FPS stutter free experience.

I appreciate the input. I have a 7950X3D too, which provided a juicy boost in performance over my previous CPU. I "only" have a 3090 card though, so I can't utilize frame generation and even if I could, it doesn't work in VR. I'm sure that running at double the "normal" FPS is a fine experience, but I also think that 40 cards are still not mainstream even if it seems many flight simmers have upgraded to one. FG and no FG are very different use cases.

That said, I know from my very own experience it's possible to have a stutter-free experience with FSHud with decent frames, even if I have no way of doubling the FPS. Since the last update that experience is gone for some reason however, which is my problem.