Sign in to follow this  
Zimmerbz

A Few Active Sky Questions

18 minutes ago, ha5mvo said:

The "cloudart" itself is exactly the same as the default. There are no additional textures like REX or HiFI used to offer in P3D.

I don't think your reply tells the whole story.  ActiveSky, Rex WeatherForce and xEnviro all display better quality and more varied cloud types than default live weather.  You are correct there are no additional textures supplied with ActiveSky, but the method it uses to push weather into the SIM allows it to better use whats MSFS itself can only produce with presets.

• Upvote 2

CPU Ryzen 7800X 3D  RAM 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 6000MHz
GPU 24GB ASUS TUF GEFORCE RTX 4090 OC EDITION OG Monitor MSI MPG 321URX QD-OLED 32 inch HDR1000 
Internal Storage 1TB SOLIDIGM P44 PRO GEN 4 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD  External Storage Three 4Tb Hard Disks 

10 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

Bob - have you tried the audio functions? With a flightplan loaded, tune your comm radio to either 122.0, 122.05 or 122.02  to get overall route briefing, departure and destination weather as you fly. I always use 122.02 when flying instrument approaches. Love it!

I tried the 122.0 this morning. Didn't know about audio route briefing, will try that this afternoon. 

spacer.png

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020  PMDG 777    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

41 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I am using Live Weather Preset, which tracks Live Weather in MSFS, in fact when you select that, and you look at Live Weather in MSFS, it is automatically turned off and clear skies are selected. So all the weather generation is done with AS. It looks great. 

The Clouds look much better in AS, in fact I just finished a flight and saw some Cirrus Clouds, which you never see in MSFS.

It's been years since I used FS in P3D, but this looks just as good to me, if not better.. Well worth the $25, won't be flying without it on from now on. 

Great info, I haven't purchased yet, I'm still on the fence.

How about weather transitions from station to station, is it as smooth as they claim it to be?

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

10 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I can appreciate that, but why not ask these questions in the thread which most people follow?

A valid point. I don't have the product, and like OP I'm looking for information, especially from people that already have the product. Just finished reading through 24 pages in the other thread. I simply meant that having too many threads simply gets confusing. Or perhaps this comment was not directed at me, nevermind, not important. 

I think 20+ page threads for many people, is like reading a telephone book. People don't even want to read the manual that comes with an add on, so reading 25 pages of posts, filled with repetitive comments, is a real PIA. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

spacer.png

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020  PMDG 777    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

Does AS work with the Fenix now, I read about major problems with loosing control of the airplane when using AS and Fenix (no pilot error)?

• Like 1

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

30 minutes ago, Silicus said:

Does AS work with the Fenix now, I read about major problems with loosing control of the airplane when using AS and Fenix (no pilot error)?

The tester reports on the latest beta say the problem has been resolved.

• Like 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

33 minutes ago, Silicus said:

Yes, I flew the Fenix this morning, no problems.

• Like 3

spacer.png

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

People don't even want to read the manual that comes with an add on, so reading 25 pages of posts, filled with repetitive comments, is a real PIA. 

😄 True.

Just wait until this thread turns into its own 20+ page thread, filled with repetitive comments.

There'll be yet another new thread opened up!

Edited by F737MAX
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

6 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

The tester reports on the latest beta say the problem has been resolved.

3 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Yes, I flew the Fenix this morning, no problems.

Thanks for answering!! I will give AS a try, since I have only good memories about it from years long gone 🙂

• Like 1

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

2 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I am using Live Weather Preset, which tracks Live Weather in MSFS, in fact when you select that, and you look at Live Weather in MSFS, it is automatically turned off and clear skies are selected. So all the weather generation is done with AS. It looks great. 

The Clouds look much better in AS, in fact I just finished a flight and saw some Cirrus Clouds, which you never see in MSFS.

I have the live weather preset checked in AS, but when I start FS live weather is still active inside sim. What am I doing wrong?

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

13 minutes ago, Bigmack said:

I have the live weather preset checked in AS, but when I start FS live weather is still active inside sim. What am I doing wrong?

What SIM depiction mode are you using active sky presets or passive? 

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

18 minutes ago, Bigmack said:

Also - does it say "connected" in green in the AS window, top left corner? if not reinstall and disable your AV for a moment (or exclude the folders). AV can prevent the ASConnector from installing correctly into the community folder. The dev himself explained it better in the other thread (that with 25+ pages...).

1 hour ago, vgbaron said:

What SIM depiction mode are you using active sky presets or passive? 

All I want is AS to be my live weather app, I have live weather choosen in AS menu, Am I suppose to turn on something else? When FS is loaded and on< I see the sim connected is on in AS.

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

2 minutes ago, Bigmack said:

All I want is AS to be my live weather app, I have live weather choosen in AS menu, Am I suppose to turn on something else? When FS is loaded and on< I see the sim connected is on in AS.

No, that's all you have to do. Make sure the following: In the WX Control panel in the app, there's a button "Sim Depiction Mode" up at the top - make sure "Active Sky Preset Control" is checked. If that is - check out this thread, someone else had your problem: https://forums.hifisimtech.com/threads/toolbar-mods.14820/

That said, i use the notoolbarhandle mod too and AS works just fine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fiorentoni said:

No, that's all you have to do. Make sure the following: In the WX Control panel in the app, there's a button "Sim Depiction Mode" up at the top - make sure "Active Sky Preset Control" is checked. If that is - check out this thread, someone else had your problem: https://forums.hifisimtech.com/threads/toolbar-mods.14820/

That said, i use the notoolbarhandle mod too and AS works just fine.

Yeah, I read the post about the parking mod causing issue, but I'm not using any parking mod, but still can't get AS to work. All I get is clear skys. Maybe I'll try will my community folder disabled.

Bill McIntyre