dave2013

Switched From P3Dv5 to P3Dv6

Well, I just made the switch to P3Dv6, and must say that I'm impressed.  Performance is very good, better than v5.

I'm using volumetric clouds for the first time and really like them.  Also using DLSS anti-aliasing which works well.

I got all the ORBX scenery packages, FTX Global, FTX openLC, Trees, and HD Buildings, working with the addon xml method using Lorby's Addon Organizer.  I already had them installed in an external library.

With volumetric clouds, shadow quality, water detail, cubemap and planar reflections, level of detail radius, tesselation factor, 10m terrain mesh, and autogen/scenery draw distance on High, and autogen vegetation and scenery complexity on Extremely Dense, I'm getting a smooth frame rate of 33FPS and VRAM usage of 3.5-4.0/11.0.

The new 3D taxi signs, 3D taxiway and runway lighting, and other objects like new windsocks, look very nice and add to the airport realism.

I've managed to get a few P3Dv5 airports I made to work in v6 using Airport Design Editor, but many won't work as ADE doesn't recognize most stock buildings and some scenery objects.

Several of my freeware planes work fine.  It does seem that the flight dynamics have changed a bit, so LM likely tweaked this.

So far I'm quite pleased.

Dave

• Like 3

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

30 minutes ago, dave2013 said:

It does seem that the flight dynamics have changed a bit, so LM likely tweaked this.

Thx for your report.

I never really got into that "XML method"... Really have to find more about it...

What exactly did you find looking / feeling different flight model wise?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Uninstaller since July 2012 when MS ceased development of MS FLIGHT...

34 minutes ago, jcomm said:

What exactly did you find looking / feeling different flight model wise?

First, the elevator seemed more sensitive than in v5, so much so that I had to lower the elevator effectiveness in the aircraft cfg file.

Ground handling also changed, as it was more difficult for me to make sharp turns in the 737-800.  I don't know if this is due to some ground effect or the aircraft handling dynamics.  It could also be that the aircraft load parameters have more of an effect now as most of the aircraft weight is further back on the fuselage making the nose gear less effective.  Not sure what's happening here.

Dave

• Like 1

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

Interesting.

Although P3D v6 was the only version of P3D I fully purchased (using their new version model) since v1 (I usually buy only monthly licenses), I don't have it installed right now, mostly because last time I tried to port the ORBX scenery to it I couldn't make it work - have to search and read / try to understand that "xml method" you referred.

Also not having the FSLabs fleet there makes a big difference 😞

But those observations made me think of a reinstall 🙂

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

15 hours ago, dave2013 said:

Well, I just made the switch to P3Dv6, and must say that I'm impressed.  Performance is very good, better than v5.

I'm using volumetric clouds for the first time and really like them.  Also using DLSS anti-aliasing which works well.

I got all the ORBX scenery packages, FTX Global, FTX openLC, Trees, and HD Buildings, working with the addon xml method using Lorby's Addon Organizer.  I already had them installed in an external library.

With volumetric clouds, shadow quality, water detail, cubemap and planar reflections, level of detail radius, tesselation factor, 10m terrain mesh, and autogen/scenery draw distance on High, and autogen vegetation and scenery complexity on Extremely Dense, I'm getting a smooth frame rate of 33FPS and VRAM usage of 3.5-4.0/11.0.

The new 3D taxi signs, 3D taxiway and runway lighting, and other objects like new windsocks, look very nice and add to the airport realism.

I've managed to get a few P3Dv5 airports I made to work in v6 using Airport Design Editor, but many won't work as ADE doesn't recognize most stock buildings and some scenery objects.

Several of my freeware planes work fine.  It does seem that the flight dynamics have changed a bit, so LM likely tweaked this.

So far I'm quite pleased.

Dave

Whew!  That's a lot of dedicated work to make a simulator work.  Sorry...I'm not willing to do that.  5.4 is superb and accepts EVERYTHING!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, spilok said:

Whew!  That's a lot of dedicated work to make a simulator work

Actually, it was much less difficult than I thought it would be.

I already had the ORBX stuff in an external library for P3Dv5, so it was easy to update the v6 addon xml to point to those libraries.

The downside is that it will be difficult to update airports for it as ADE only has limited functionality with v6.  Of course, if you're into payware stuff then that's a big problem as well.

v6 performance and graphics are better than P3Dv5.

Dave

Are default airports better (regarding layout and parking positions) or are they as bad as in v5?

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), ID-Cooling SE-224-XTS air cooler, Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

If flying in Canada is an interest well SimAddOns has Canadian airports from coast to coast and into the high arctic that are great. I have coupled this with photo type scenery from FC Scenery and it brings things to life quite nicely. just wish there were more aircraft with V6 installers. Currently using majestic Dash 8.

Well, inspired today by the OP I decided to reinstall P3Dv6 and see for myself the result of the latest patches, and so far SO GOOD!!!

Looks better than the first version I tried after release last year, and performance is very good

I had a Nvidia Inspector Profile with VSync and Adaptive half-refresh rate, but in P3DV6 we still have to "tick" the VSync option in the Display settings because otherwise the in-sim FPS counter shows in my case 90+ to 100+ FPS....  Wonder if I should revert to a default Nvidia profile and do all of the customization from inside P3Dv6 only ...

Also installed ASP3Dv6 🙂

Now I just have to decide if I should try to imnstall my Orbx stuff (Global, Vector and Open-LC Europe, LPPR and the free airport enhancements) using the mentioned "xml method" which I don't even guess how to use 😕

Guess P3DV6 is staying together with XP12 !!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, spilok said:

Whew!  That's a lot of dedicated work to make a simulator work.  Sorry...I'm not willing to do that.

What???

A few clicks in Lorby's excellent app and voila !

He didn't even have to reinstall any of the ORBX stuff.

I bet you had a lot more than that to do, to get V5.4 to your liking.

Edited by Sparkrite

52 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Now I just have to decide if I should try to imnstall my Orbx stuff (Global, Vector and Open-LC Europe, LPPR and the free airport enhancements) using the mentioned "xml method" which I don't even guess how to use 😕

Leave out 'vector' it's a killer and generally not needed anymore.

If you already have all your ORBX stuff installed within it's own library ( which has been the preferred way for quite some time now) then you don't have to re-install any of it.

Just point V6 to the ORBX library (use Lorby's AddonOrganiser) and select what you want to use from within P3D.

• Like 2

Dumped V6 namely for losing 75% of my freeware aircraft and causing a terrible cross over of both scenery in V5 and V6 (had both loaded on the same machine).  I must admit that the general scenery in V6 is better than V5.  That's the only plus it gets from me.

Jim

4 hours ago, Sparkrite said:

Leave out 'vector' it's a killer and generally not needed anymore.

If you already have all your ORBX stuff installed within it's own library ( which has been the preferred way for quite some time now) then you don't have to re-install any of it.

Just point V6 to the ORBX library (use Lorby's AddonOrganiser) and select what you want to use from within P3D.

Unfortunately I presently do not have any orbx install. How should I proceed in this case?

Main Simulation Rig:

Here you go.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/147aBWl1AOQEc0PbsUwJIPclpgLlvYUQi/view?usp=sharing

• Like 4

8 hours ago, newtie said:

Thank you!  👍

Main Simulation Rig: