Sign in to follow this  
captainbluesky

CPU Utilisation is low

23 minutes ago, captainbluesky said:

ok EGLL at stand 512, default scenery as do not own inibuilds, no traffic.

Windowed

Built in windows FPS 23, Dev mode FPS 12

Full screen

Built in windows FPS 47, Dev mode FPS 23

You have a problem with gpu vram, need to lower texture resolution, most likely. Also your render scale is through the roof, check that also...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Your settings are messed up somewhere, probably you have the render scale slider mistakenly set to 200? Check your screenshots, you use 1440p as monitor resolution, but your sim gets rendered in a whopping 3942x2218 resolution. Way more a 4070 can take. And furthermore, your post is even higher, 5120x2880. Both resolutions are HIGHER than 4K...

So back to field 1: post your settings of MSFS and inside nVIDIA Control Panel showing the page for Microsoft Flight Simulator please. Something is seriously off here.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

You mentioned using "Preset E" within Nvidia Inspector.  I have noticed that once you set these presets, even if you disable them it still seems to keep MSFS at the high render scale.  You may want to go into MSFS General Settings and check the Render Scale slider.  Putting it at 100 may still be giving you a higher-than-expected resolution...THAT is probably why you're seeing such a low frame rate.  This is evidenced by your screenshots which show a very high render scale.

I haven't figured out why MSFS is doing this.  It could be a config file that needs manual adjustment.  I too have experimented with DLSS and the Presets...and ever since then I've had to really watch that render scale slider if I decide to go to TAA again.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

1 hour ago, captainbluesky said:

ok EGLL at stand 512, default scenery as do not own inibuilds, no traffic.

Windowed

Built in windows FPS 23, Dev mode FPS 12

Full screen

Built in windows FPS 47, Dev mode FPS 23

You should definitely be seeing significantly better frame rates with your specs. Something is off and assuming it’s not a hardware issue then it can only be that your graphics settings have gone a bit crazy.

34 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Your settings are messed up somewhere, probably you have the render scale slider mistakenly set to 200? Check your screenshots, you use 1440p as monitor resolution, but your sim gets rendered in a whopping 3942x2218 resolution. Way more a 4070 can take. And furthermore, your post is even higher, 5120x2880. Both resolutions are HIGHER than 4K...

So back to field 1: post your settings of MSFS and inside nVIDIA Control Panel showing the page for Microsoft Flight Simulator please. Something is seriously off here.

Yes exactly.   I bet if he goes into MSFS Settings, General Settings, Render Scale slider, it will be way way higher than 4K

• Upvote 1

Rhett

1 hour ago, AnkH said:

ok please see the images below. I could not see render scale setting when in DLSS so switched it to TAA so we can see it - see 5th image below it is set to 50.

FYZliU1.jpg 

LafPmHB.jpg

OWAeEiq.jpg

tDCQmMr.jpg

2JY9c9m.jpg

DP5KWXE.jpg

A8sUfNR.jpg

gOEVVtd.jpg

iuefuBo.jpg

Ok, some comments from me (disclaimer:  I am far, far from an expert on these matters...).  I note the difference between your native resolution (possibly 2560 x 1440) vs. your actual (2560 x 1377) which is due to the NI settings or DSR Factors.    Your Windowed vs. Full Screen problem may be related to this difference.   I don't see DSR Factors in your NVCP screenshots and so I'm assuming it's set in your NI settings. 

You're losing a few frames with Glass Cockpit Refresh Rate on Ultra.

Your fixed TLOD of 200 is hurting you too.   I don't know how well that scenery is optimized, but I'm not sure you need that much TLOD on final approach in big iron.  There is an app called AutoFPS that you might want to look into, although as I said, I would take a look at the resolution you're making the card push out.

Perhaps @Cpt_Piett might have some better insight into the DLSS / NI implications...

Rhett

“DLSS Super Resolution” and “Ultra quality” plus the c5K resolution your earlier screenshots suggest you’re rendering at … somehow MSFS has got the idea that you want to render at c5K resolution which will bring anyone’s PC to its knees. 

My diagnosis: looks like you’ve been drinking too deeply at the well of DLSS voodoo stuff 😉

Maybe undo all the DLSS tinkering stuff, including “presets” and all that nonsense, reset it all back to Nvidia and MSFS defaults for your system and take it from there. 

It’s OK to keep v3.7 of the DLSS drivers - but they improve performance on their own, WITHOUT needing all the extra fiddling around which just promises more than it delivers. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 5/5/2024 at 11:11 PM, captainbluesky said:

Please explain - why is the CPU utilisation % so low and is there any method of increasing this utilisation % on the powerful AMD 7800 X3D processor?

MSFS is still not very optimized for multithreading, and only utilizes a portion of modern CPUs. Even though it does use several cores / threads, a lot of the calculations are done within a single “main thread”. 

I have a 12900KF with a total of 24 threads, with 8 cores overclocked to 5.1GHz. I’m CPU (mainthread) limited most of the time, even though the total CPU load rarely goes above 40%. Hence, lots of untapped resources there that MSFS don’t have access to.

I recently arrived into FlyTampa’s Amsterdam in the Fenix with lots of AI traffic. This was the average CPU usage for the approach:

aTlu1dI.jpg

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

dYn55y0_d.jpg?maxwidth=520&shape=thumb&f

11 hours ago, Mace said:

Your fixed TLOD of 200 is hurting you too.   I don't know how well that scenery is optimized, but I'm not sure you need that much TLOD on final approach in big iron.

Good Lord yes!  I use DynLOD and by the time I'm 1500 AGL I'm already well below 100.  It just doesn't matter visually at that AGL.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

7800X3D here too.  My typical open native frame rate in PMDG and FBW ranges from 45 to 75 taxiing at any airport worldwide no matter how demanding.  I lock it at 44, and I don't use DLSS Frame Generation.  Cores 0 and 1 run between 56% and 80% utilization with an average of around 68%.  The other 6 cores dance between 20 and 55% utilization.  

Of note, I had 9900K and 3080Ti previously and never would see that low a native rate anywhere and that is on a 3440x1440 display, TAA/16x/8xSS, AMD FidFX 100.  Typical then was around 33fps maintainable anywhere in any of my 4 planes with those settings, and again that's now 44fps w/ the 7800X3D, which by the way is about 27% fasting single-thread wise than 9900K, so that fits.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

If I were you I would delete the user.opt file, Un- and reinstall your graphics driver and start from there.

• Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

15 hours ago, orchestra_nl said:

That is not entirely correct. While it is true that MSFS does not use all cores equally, it is multithreaded and more optimised for multiple cores than its predecessors. With the 8-16 cores we have today most are being used too little but it is not easy to divide all the work among all cores.

The fact remains, MSFS is unable to take a modern CPU and utilise it anywhere near 100% like we might see with the GPU. In fact, it can’t even get near 50% of the theoretical compute power on offer from a high end CPU like an i7-14700K. Asobo has said doing so with MSFS2020 would result in instability issues. However, assuming CPU manufacturers continue down a multi-core developmental path, the multi-threaded capabilities for game applications in general will no doubt improve over time. It’s a factor of both hardware and software.

• Upvote 1

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

A TLOD of 200 is not the problem. Reducing it will help the CPU of course but something has gone skew with DSR up-scaling. Need to reset this, remove all up scaling. Settings as posted seem ok. What is the Ultra Quality DLSS setting rendering at?

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

22 hours ago, captainbluesky said:

I am not sure if the built in windows FPS counter I use can capture frame generated FPS.

I have included 2 x screenshots below to show windowed mode FPS and full screen FPS, using both the built in windows FPS counter (i.e. press Windows key and G then select Performance button) and the dev mode FPS counter within MSFS. Not sure what is going on here.

I tried the Nvidia overlay as another FPS comparison but the FPS using the overlay display just displays N/A all the time.

Maybe a freeware FPS counter such as Fraps or similar may shed more light on the 'real'/actual FPS I am getting?

Windowed

5eoWfFP.jpg

Full screen

fIrjM3N.jpg

You are out of VRAM, that is your main problem.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |