Sign in to follow this  
Todd2

MSFS was a stutter fest this morning.

Then I deleted rolling casche and it was perfectly smooth again.  Does anyone know why this happens? I have a Ryzen 9 4080 card.

Stop using rolling cache, it does more harm than good.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

Same as Ixoye. I stopped using rolling cache because those intermittent stutters - a battle with windmills LOL

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

+1 for not using rolling cache.  My sim has run much better since I stopped using it.

• Like 2

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Posted (edited)

Do never use rolling cache, it is just the better way to handle MSFS, otherwise you always have to delete and build a new cache after every MSFS ans Windows update - not worth to do so IMO !

And i never have seen a better performance or fluid with this cache enabled..

cheers 😉

Edited by pmplayer
  • Like 1

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

Posted (edited)

Had some issues with 2 flights in one session. Flew from EBCI to LBSF then from LBSF to EHEH, PG ON, have to check rolling cache though.

Lost ATC sounds during start of 2nd flight, it started to lag hard (have to mention that over a periode of time fsltl seems to load in a huge array of AI moving in same direction in front of me).

Then off and on, lag. During descent and Final approach the sim lagged 2 minutes, resulting in quiet CTD...

MSFS is still a buggy mess. Performance decays still seem to happen after 4+ hours of flight in 1 session?

Edited by Piotr007

I9 12900K @ 5.1ghz P-cores/ 4.0 ghz E-cores fixed HT off / Corsair iCue H150i Capellix Cooler/ MSI Z690 CARBON WiFi / 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM @ 5200 mhz XMP on / 12GB MSI 4090 RTX Ventus 3 / 7,5 total TB SSD (2+2+2+1+0,5 all NVMe)/ PSU 850W Corsair / 27" (1080P)

1 hour ago, pmplayer said:

Do never use rolling cache, it is just the better way to handle MSFS, otherwise you always have to delete and build a new cache after every MSFS ans Windows update - not worth to do so IMO !

And i never have seen a better performance or fluid with this cache enabled..

cheers 😉

I have used Rolling Cache ON for years with 8GB limit.

No problems.

Never had to " build a new cache after every MSFS ans Windows update".

• Like 1

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

1 hour ago, vonmar said:

I have used Rolling Cache ON for years with 8GB limit.

No problems.

Never had to " build a new cache after every MSFS ans Windows update".

I have a similar experience. I used to have trouble with severe stutters when using the rolling cache with it set to something like 20 Gb. I ran with it off afterwards for some time.

The last several months I've run with it turned on with something like 10 Gb and have not had the stuttering at all.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

What is the point of using it, bad internet connection?

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

What is the point of using it, bad internet connection?

It can reduce the glitch you sometimes get when approaching a busy/ dense area and there’s a stutter while the sim seems to be loading stuff in over the internet. But even this advantage isn’t consistent in my experience. 

Also, if like me you mainly stick to familiar routes, then going elsewhere for a one-off can produce a stuttering mess if you use the rolling cache: in my case, flying around NYC is a stutter-fest unless I turn off rolling cache - I’m assuming because it’s trying to play catch-up after filling itself with the European scenery from my usual routes.

I think this may perhaps explain why people have such different experiences of this option. For me, it’s best to keep my off. 

Edited by tfm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RichieFly said:

I have a similar experience. I used to have trouble with severe stutters when using the rolling cache with it set to something like 20 Gb. I ran with it off afterwards for some time.

The last several months I've run with it turned on with something like 10 Gb and have not had the stuttering at all.

That's probably my ptoblem I set it to 32 gb.