Sign in to follow this  
TacomaSailor

MSFS2020_AutoFPS dead - .NET error after Win Update

MSFS2020_AutoFPS.exe was working perfectly yesterday.  Now it starts a process and then ends with no error message, creates no log, and provides no other information.  I have tried three different versions of the app with the same result.  In each case I did a complete app removal and reinstall using the AutoFPS installer.  The installer program reports that .NET 7 Desktop Runtime is installed.  I do find the correct folders and files in the user\appdata\roaming....

There is NO AntiVirus of any kind running on the system. 

Windows 11 Event Viewer provides the following information:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        .NET Runtime
Date:          5/16/24 03:11:20 PM
Event ID:      1023
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      SHARK
Description:
Description: A .NET application failed.
Application: MSFS2020_AutoFPS.exe

Path: C:\Users\svmir\AppData\Roaming\MSFS2020_AutoFPS\bin\MSFS2020_AutoFPS.exe
Message: A JSON parsing exception occurred in [C:\Program Files\dotnet\shared\Microsoft.NETCore.App\7.0.19\Microsoft.NETCore.App.runtimeconfig.json], offset 0 (line 1, column 1): The document is empty.
Invalid framework config.json [C:\Program Files\dotnet\shared\Microsoft.NETCore.App\7.0.19\Microsoft.NETCore.App.runtimeconfig.json]

Windows Update installed:
NET 6.0.30 / 8.0.5 / 7.0.19 Security Updates just before AutoFPS app started failing.

I have verified that the .json in the NETCore.App\7.0.19 folder is empty - there is no data in the file.

I don't understand much about .NET - how can I acquire the proper 7.0.19 .json file?

i7-9700K @4.9 GHz  / Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Mobo / 32 GB DDR4 / RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU / AORUS FO48U 4k display
 SSD for Drive C and another SSD dedicate to Flight Sim / 1 GB Comcast Xfinity Internet connection / HP Reverb G2 / Tobii 5 Head & Eye Tracking

read about me and my sailing adventures at www.svmirador.net/WebsiteOne/ or at Flickr TacomaSailor

3 minutes ago, TacomaSailor said:

MSFS2020_AutoFPS.exe was working perfectly yesterday.  Now it starts a process and then ends with no error message, creates no log, and provides no other information.  I have tried three different versions of the app with the same result.  In each case I did a complete app removal and reinstall using the AutoFPS installer.  The installer program reports that .NET 7 Desktop Runtime is installed.  I do find the correct folders and files in the user\appdata\roaming....

Windows 11 Event Viewer provides the following information:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        .NET Runtime
Date:          5/16/24 03:11:20 PM
Event ID:      1023
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      SHARK
Description:
Description: A .NET application failed.
Application: MSFS2020_AutoFPS.exe

Path: C:\Users\svmir\AppData\Roaming\MSFS2020_AutoFPS\bin\MSFS2020_AutoFPS.exe
Message: A JSON parsing exception occurred in [C:\Program Files\dotnet\shared\Microsoft.NETCore.App\7.0.19\Microsoft.NETCore.App.runtimeconfig.json], offset 0 (line 1, column 1): The document is empty.
Invalid framework config.json [C:\Program Files\dotnet\shared\Microsoft.NETCore.App\7.0.19\Microsoft.NETCore.App.runtimeconfig.json]

Windows Update installed:
NET 6.0.30 / 8.0.5 / 7.0.19 Security Updates just before AutoFPS app started failing.

I have verified that the .json in the NETCore.App\7.0.19 folder is empty - there is no data in the file.

I don't understand much about .NET - how can I acquire the proper 7.0.19 .json file?

Did you restart PC before you uninstalled and reinstalled?

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

Yes - I uninstalled and turned off the PC.

The problem was the blank/corrupted .json for .NET 7.0.19.  I downloaded the the .NET x64 installer for 7.0.19 but that did not update the .json file.  And, I noted that the MS .NET download site said that 7.0.19 had reached EndOfLife status on May 14, 2024.   And, there was a warning that 7.0.19 would only support Visual Basic 22.

I then installed .NET 8.0.5 since it is most current and did find a proper .json file.  BUT- the app is hard coded to use 7.0.19.

I deleted .NET 7.0.19 from \program files and then used the AutoFPS installer to force a .NET reinstall.  Since I had no downloaded version of 7.0.19 the app downloaded from a site other than .NET at MS and installed .NET.  

Now - the app works perfectly using the repaired / reinstalled version 7 of .NET.

As I have said - half the fun with the sim is keeping it running.

i7-9700K @4.9 GHz  / Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Mobo / 32 GB DDR4 / RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU / AORUS FO48U 4k display
 SSD for Drive C and another SSD dedicate to Flight Sim / 1 GB Comcast Xfinity Internet connection / HP Reverb G2 / Tobii 5 Head & Eye Tracking

read about me and my sailing adventures at www.svmirador.net/WebsiteOne/ or at Flickr TacomaSailor

1 hour ago, TacomaSailor said:

do you just like to live dangerously? 🙂

// 5800X3D // RTX 3090 // 64GB RAM // HP REVERB G2 //

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, espent said:

do you just like to live dangerously? 🙂

All my internet activity, other than the sim, is done on another machine with a lot of security stuff.  I download sim stuff to that machine, scan it, unzip it, and then move it to the sim machine. 

The only time I have had a security/hacking issue was due to social engineering - responding to stuff that seemed to be legit and from someone I know.  After a few minutes my security sense came in and I carefully deleted everything.  

And... yes I do enjoy living dangerously 

motorcycle racing
single hand oceanic sailing
technical rock climbing
staying married 50-years

Edited by TacomaSailor