Sign in to follow this  
Guest codkilla

FSX SP2 Buggy?

Is anyone else having problems with selecting menu items from the FSX menu and it completely locking up /hanging your system? I have tried flight reset and selecting weather from the FSX menu and both options Lockup / HANG my system.Where is the QA ACES?Am I missing something here?Barry

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

>Is anyone else having problems with selecting menu items from>the FSX menu and it completely locking up /hanging your>system? I have tried flight reset and selecting weather from>the FSX menu and both options Lockup / HANG my system.>>Where is the QA ACES?>>Am I missing something here?>>BarryYes Barry, you've missed about 1 1/2 months of posts on the entire matter of lock ups and CTD's with SP2, which came about on the day Acceleration (which contains SP2) was released. Scan the forum here. If you're using an NVidia card, try the latest drivers and hope for the best. 169.21 for 7 series cards, there's another later sequence for the 8 series cards.As for QA from ACES, ACES has said there will be no more work done with SP2 or FSX. What you see is what you get.

This has been discussed at length on this forum. Do a search on this forum and the CTD forum for "Menu". Although I never encountered this problem with SP2, I believe the fix is reinstalling your display drivers.Jim

"Where is the QA Aces?"A better question would be: Where's the QA Nvidia?Your video card driver sucks. I would bet dollars to donuts that you bought an NVidia 8800.There's nothing wrong with FSX.

>>A better question would be: Where's the QA Nvidia?>>Your video card driver sucks. I would bet dollars to donuts>that you bought an NVidia 8800.>>There's nothing wrong with FSX.Lots of 8800's run just fine with FSX too.

Agree. If you are running XP with a Nvidia 7 series card, download the 169.21 drivers. If you are running Vista and the 8 series use the 169.25. I am running XP with a 7950GT Nvidia card and the 169.21 has cured the CTD for me. Bob G.

Nope, updated to the latest NVIDIA drivers and still CTDs.. BTW I did a forum search on FSX SP2 CTD and came up with nothing. (advanced search as well)Any ideas?Barry

Your not on your own. Im using XPSP2, a 7 series Nvidia GFX card, and FSX with SP2 via Acceleration still gives me the menu lockup (clean install and any-latest driver). FSX is running very well under SP1 (mostly high settings) so I'm afraid for me thats where FSX shall remain. Yes buying the Expansion was a waste of money, but at least my Aircraft built on the DX9 SDK are working fine.E-bay here I come.

>"Where is the QA Aces?">>A better question would be: Where's the QA Nvidia?>>Your video card driver sucks. I would bet dollars to donuts>that you bought an NVidia 8800.>>There's nothing wrong with FSX. Hummm...I didn't see where he stated WHAT his video card WAS so how can you make such a statement? And "There's nothing wrong with FSX" is simply NOT a correctassessment. There are many problems with FSX unrelated to NVideacards so your blanket statements just don't wash... Paul

Anyone with problems in SP2 can consider themselves totally abandoned. Aces has stated clearly they are done with FSX despite its lack of quality and Nvidia does not acknowledge these issues as bugs. Neither the menu problem nor bad dx10 framerate are listed in Nvidia's release notes as known issues. So Aces points the finger at Nvidia and Nvidia points it back at MS (If they are even aware that there are problems). We as consumers are stuck. I put the blame on Aces for this mess for not fixing the problems. If it really is a driver problem they should be on the phone with Nvidia every day trying to get it fixed. I find it impossible that they could have tested SP2 without finding these issues. Contrast Aces lack of response and lack of quality with a company like Bioware who is still issuing patches for a game it released in 2002. Aces cares about its schedule not its customers.So bottom line, go back to SP1 if you want to use FSX. You can abandon any hope of ever using DX10.Don

I have to upgrade my video card for DX10. I am really considering a Non NVIDA card, such as ATI.Any other suggestions for DX10 cards... Oh one requirement, it must be a low profile card or be able to be converted to low profile.Thanks!Barry

Barry, if you run in "windowed" mode everything will work as normal. If you need to run full screen, most people are successful with pausing the sim first & then accessing the menus. This IS an NVIDIA issue with their drivers & SP2. I have read in the CTD Menu thread here on Avsim that someone received a response either fron Nvidia or EVGA that acknowledged the issue was noted & they are working on it for a future driver release.Jim

The blame unfortunately does fall on MS shoulders. I have run the latest Nvidia drivers on an 8800 GTS card. With the latest drivers FSX with sp1 is flawless no CTDs but, add SP2 and the CTDs begin. Obviously SP2 is flawed. However, we're stuck with it with no help in the future so the only thing is to hope for clever simmers to come up with work arounds.Do you all remember the seasonal CTDs that plagued FS9 and MS kept denying it until a German simmer figured out the fix and MS had to admit it and include it in the update for FS9.I remember it only too well. So here we are again. We'll manage.Lee

"A better question would be: Where's the QA Nvidia?Your video card driver sucks. I would bet dollars to donuts that you bought an NVidia 8800.There's nothing wrong with FSX."AND"It isn't FSX that is the problem. It is my hardware (and your hardware). My hardware isn't capable of doing what you want. But, FSX is capable of it."o_0

>The blame unfortunately does fall on MS shoulders. I have run>the latest Nvidia drivers on an 8800 GTS card. With the latest>drivers FSX with sp1 is flawless no CTDs but, add SP2 and the>CTDs begin. Obviously SP2 is flawed. However, we're stuck with>it with no help in the future so the only thing is to hope for>clever simmers to come up with work arounds.I don't think so! Explain how - if you can - that I can run FSX+SP2 with NONE of the problems cited here and elsewhere?The only difference being that I have an ATI Radeon 2400 Pro DX10 card rather than an nVidia card?

>I don't think so! Explain how - if you can - that I can run>FSX+SP2 with NONE of the problems cited here and>elsewhere?>>The only difference being that I have an ATI Radeon 2400 Pro>DX10 card rather than an nVidia card?My point is that at the very _least_ MS should be lighting a fire underneath someone at Nvidia to get this fixed. I see no evidence of that. Maybe they need to implement a work-around for Nvidia's bug but I don't see any chance of that either. If that doesn't work, maybe MS should put up an ATI splash screen when FS loads. The point is their product doesn't work for many people. I've just gone through and re-installed again following David's instructions to the letter and still get 1/2 the fps in DX10.There are a bunch of add-on's I'd like to buy for FSX but I cannot justify in my own mind spending another dime on FSX when the platform is broken. So in that respect, if I were a third-party developer, I'd be lighting a fire underneath Aces to do whatever it takes to fix things before my business collapses. Eaglesoft and other vendors have some nice aircraft I would buy today were not for the lack of confidence I have with FSX.Don

Running ATI here as well (1650 PRO 512MB) and not having any issues, windowed or full mode, no CTD's, full menu access, fully stable, FSX Accell/SP2.

>My point is that at the very _least_ MS should be lighting a>fire underneath someone at Nvidia to get this fixed. I see no>evidence of that. Maybe they need to implement a work-around>for Nvidia's bug but I don't see any chance of that either.Don, I've posted here (and elsewhere) until I'm blue in the face just how the graphics pipeline from FSX actually works...The simple fact is that, "lighting a fire underneath someone at nVidia" aisde, there's not one single thing ACES (or any game studio for that matter) can do once their output passes through the DX10 API...That is the whole purpose of the API to begin with; to make the "input" totally hardware agnostic.The simple fact that other DX10 capable games are currently experiencing many of the same problems points the finger squarely at nVidia's driver as the problem. Unfortunately, every incremental driver release is following the 'fix one thing, break two others' model at present... -roll

To be honest I am a tad miffed as to why they (Aces) bothered with this whole DX10 debacle in the first place. I believe (and you will not convince me of otherwise) that the end result of the DX10 preview you have on your hands now, is purely to try and justify the promises of the wonderfull DX10 experience that was fortold upon release of FSX and Vista. They just didnt dare leave DX10 out, and the reason we run fine on SP1 and not so on SP2 is because of whatever coding was done to add the DX10 preview. Its that part of the coding which has botched up the menus and causing lockups for those of us still on XP. Fact is, that for those like me still on XP with a 7 series nvidia gfx card, SP1 is as far as we can go with XP. Personally I dont fly online and FSX runs great via SP1 which I am happy to do....but what of the useless Acceleration pack I am left with? I was assured by the minimum specs that it would run fine on my system. It dont. Are Microsoft going to offer those with similar problems to me a full refund on this product? naaa...I didnt think so neither.I am a sales assistant for an electrical retail chain in the UK (COMET PLC) and I'm sure if I went about my business in the way Microsoft has conducted this FSX debacle, I would be appearing on some consumer-watch TV programme bringing my companys name into disrepute.but then what does it matter...its Microsoft...they can handle it. (does it matter?)just my opinionBill

>...butwhat of the useless Acceleration pack>I am left with? I was assured by the minimum specs that it>would run fine on my system. It dont....In addition to the performance enhancements of SP2, Acceleration has given me 2 cool new payware quality aircraft (I would say 3, but the helo is a disappointment), several missions, and working aircraft carriers. All run great for me. If none of these things run fine in your system, I suspect the problem is in your system.-GaryPentium 3 gig dual processors2 gig RAMWindows Vista Home Premium

>>...butwhat of the useless Acceleration pack>>I am left with? I was assured by the minimum specs that it>>would run fine on my system. It dont....>>In addition to the performance enhancements of SP2,>Acceleration has given me 2 cool new payware quality aircraft>(I would say 3, but the helo is a disappointment), several>missions, and working aircraft carriers. All run great for me.>If none of these things run fine in your system, I suspect the>problem is in your system.>>-Gary>>Pentium 3 gig dual processors>2 gig RAM>Windows Vista Home Premium You misunderstand sir, its not wether individual elements of the Expansion pack works, its what SP2 that comes with the pack BREAKS. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my "system", as well as being a salesman I am a comp engineer (build,fix systems etc) and keep all my own systems very streamlined and optimized for whatever purpose they serve.p.s. SP2 brings minimal "performance enhancements" to FSX on XP DX9 on ANYONES system.