Sign in to follow this  
brucek

Phil Taylor, Please Check Private Mail

Phil,Your most generous offer of a smoking of the peace pipe is hereby accepted, and please check private mail. However, I must caution you that I went cold turkey four years ago (from three packs a day!) so there may be some coughing here and there.To those of you who are struggling to quit smoking, I have to say that for me there was only one way and that was to quit. I won't say "simply quit" because it wasn't simple. I went through two days of severe and bedridden withdrawal, and then a month of mild cravings, but after that it was clear sailing.But quit, and quit now. If the money I had spent on tobacco in 47 years of smoking had been sensibly invested in the stock market, I'd be well-to-do.And now for a little comic relief: The 30s/40s humorist Robert Benchley once said "Sure I can quit smoking. I've done it thousands of times." :)Tom Allensworth, I hope you'll let this public service message stand.Happy 2008 to all of us,Mike McCarthymike@pcgamecontrols.com

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

bumpHappy 2008 to all of us,Mike McCarthymike@pcgamecontrols.com

After just 30 years of smoking, I quit 20 years, 28 days, 16 hours, and 30 minutes ago (Dec 1, 1987 @ 6:25PM). I smoked my last cigarette while sitting in the in South Texas Methodist Hospital Emergency Room parking lot waiting for someone to wheel me inside where I was certain that I would soon die of a heart attack. It turned out not to be a heart attack but it took a three day hospital stay to prove that. I did not smoke for those days because it would have been too much bother (disconnecting the monitor cables, connecting a portable monitor, pulling an oxygen bottle to the smoking area on another floor, etc.).I'd heard somewhere that you're over the nicotine addiction in three days, so I quit. For me, breaking the addiction was the easy part. Some of the habits a re still with me. If I'm stressed, I still reach toward my shirt pocket for cigarettes. If the lights suddenly go out I instinctively reach in my pocket for my lighter.I hope that someone pays heed to your message Mike.R-

just waking up, me and my 3-yr old son.checking pm later today as I have a family dinner to prepare for and drive to today; but i wanted to check in and acknolwedge your post.

I know what you mean, Ron. I quit at noon on Father's Day of 2003 but you know what? I needn't have been so precise because, like you, I could never forget the day, hour and minute of quitting.It's a terrible addiction, kids, don't even think about starting.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxThe air is very thin high atop this soapbox, so I think I'll step down.Happy 2008 to all of us,Mike McCarthymike@pcgamecontrols.com

I quit over 11 years ago, after being told I have lung cancer with 3 months to live (and after smoking for over 30 years).I survived the bout with cancer--minus one lung--and today just have a bit of trouble getting up stairs. It's worth quitting!To keep this on an FSX keel, my one-lunger experience in the Acceleration F-18 leaves me breathless :-) Best to all!Blaster (aka Larry)

I quit from 2 packs a day to zero in 1982, after about 10 years or so of smoking. For no reason other than I decided I would, and I haven't had a smoke or wanted one since. I used to be a "closet smoker", would only smoke at work for the last 2 years of this ugly habit. I went on vacation with the family for 2 weeks without even thinking about smoking, got back into the work building and I craved for one. It was then that I realized that this is more of a habit than a biological dependence (although try telling a smoker that), so my logic concluded that I just needed to break a habit. It worked.My father and all of his brothers and father all died of lung cancer. I do a CT scan of my lungs annually, but am also glad that I was able to quit.Bruce.

I quit after 40+ years.......I got cancer of the larynx.... lost it. wakeup time people... it ain't cool!Joe W.

I quit 23 years ago when I was 30. I smoked 3 packs a day.I still want a smoke every once in a while. Now that I'm 53 I'm seeing a LOT of people I know die of lung cancer! Quiting best thing I every did! Keith

Happy New Year Mike,I'm sure that you must know Phil's suggestion of the 'Peace Pipe' was just a figure of speech.But I would also like to say that I really do admire you, and all those who have followed you in this thread, by giving up, what was always considered a pleasure to those of us who indulged.The method I chose was suggested by a wonderful old man, who sadly departed us by no less than old age, but his advice cured me.Look at the end of a cigarette as if you were looking down the end of a menacing gun barrel Dave. If you enjoy Russian roulette, carry on.I'm sure glad I stopped playing that silly game after he told me that. :-badteeth No more.