Sign in to follow this  
VS0

Anything more on the Blurries?

:( ;)Last update for today: no luck. FSAA still won't work without enabling it in FSX. And btw even without FSAA the textures load late. Still, I do think I have something to focus on now! It IS strange however that I just installed Vista from scratch and have the same problem... Maybe it's hardware related, I don't know. We'll see... or not.

Guest Nick_N

hmmmmmStrangeI'll tell you what I will do, just for you I will throw the issue out to the beta hardware groups I post and check-in with and see if I get anything back about it. If I get any possible fixes, I will post themI assume you did get all the VISTA updates installed and updated DirectX as needed.. I know the 169.13's (beta) work but I dont know about VISTA because i use an ATI adapter in VISTA (momma didn't raise a dummy... LOL) Besides, I was testing the X2 ATI card over the last 2 months and decided I did not want to deal with Nv on that box so I left it there till my next card test session.You can get all the drivers at www.Guru3d.com

Nick NI usually try to stay away from commenting on hardware/software posts since I usually find them to be very misleading.and whenever I post even as an individual responding to something I get accused of advertising.But this time I felt compelled to respond. I'd be more than happy to take up your challenge regarding Quad cores etc......In fact I'll take the challenge using an AMD 6000+ processor (not overclocked) on an EVGA 8800GT SC card with 2GBs DDR2 on a EVGA 590 SLI MoBo.and to further that I'll do it on a single drive with FSX installed in its default location.and to even further that I'll do it with my video card and enhancer settings and not yours.and I'll use every available (read compatible to Accel/SP2} add-on on the market today.Why you might ask?1) Because of the fact that what you state as fact (and I respect your knowledgw) is actually highly subjective and in my experience of serving quite a few clients world wide open to a lot of question and debate.2) Because the original question included a screenshot from within the cockpit it should not have been answered with an exterior shot (which can be manipulated as to distance and angle).There is a lot more in your post that I could talk about but let's just start with this.I'll match your framerates with equal or greater sliders (sorry no light bloom I can't stand it}.and I'll match your clarity in screenshots.Yours,Michael Greenblattwww.fs-gs.com

J van EWhen you force the AA and AF through nhancer and turn it off in FSX, the preview window before you load a flight often shows no AA applied. It will apply in the actual flight though.This isn't what is happening to you by any chance is it?Also, how many sevices do you have running in Vista? Lot's of exe's running, toolbars and that sort of thing seem to play havoc with any version of FS, especially FSX. With your setup I see no reason why you wouldn't be getting better performance.What do you have texture_bandwidth_multi set to? I have mine on 60 which seems to work well from the stock of 40 with 8800 series cards.I'm sure we can get this all figured out for you. Certainly with Nicks help anyway......Then you can enjoy the visuals that GEX nhanced provides!Glenn

Guest Nick_N

Michael, I wont even go there with you, because I am not about, as you say, "mine is bigger than yours", and, I am not going to get into a conversation that has a service involved which deals directly with tuning a system for several reasons.. that challenge will become advertising that I will not support.Your methods are different than mine and there is nothing wrong with that, and, I never said a dual core or lesser hardware was bad or could not produce good images.You wish to imply I am 'faking" or making things seem better in my shot by tricks? That

>LOL!>>Now that -WAS- a reaction on my part even though I dont see>any reacting on Glenns part, but mine was based on the forum>software and not seeing the list number!This is a prime example of reaction to a non-standard use of terminology...In this instance I'm quite confident that that wherever "J van E" has used the word "react" (or any variation of same) he -in fact- means "response," or perhaps "reply..." :-bigangel For example, while the following are all syntactically correct, the perception/interpretation by the reader is not synonymous:Thank you for your reply... (perception of gratitude)Thank you for your response... (ambiguious, but likely positive)Thank you for your reaction... (perception of sarcasm, hostility)Given the context of the current interchange, the use of the word "react" takes on a negative connotation......it is perceived by many (most?)native English speakers as an expression of irritation and/or mild hostility. :-lol Whenever one is engaged in a discussion on an international forum, it is often wisest to factor in such possibilities before hitting the "Post Message" button... :-beerchug

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Well, I am not behind my FSX computer anymore, so I can't test things, but luckily I can still visit this forum. ;)First of all, NickN, thanks so far AND in advance for the help!@Glenn: In actual flight there is no FSAA. I know that the preview window isn't a good testing environment. ;)Vista is installed normally and I've added no toolbars (Dashboard (or whatever it is called) is turned off, theme is Classic, indexing is off), so I have done the simple things to make Vista more light, but I have not spend much time on checking services. Only the default ones are running. I don't use AV software too, so...About the texture_bandwith_etc: I remember Phil Taylor saying these settings have become redundant (if that is the right word: English is not my native language). AFAIK editing cfg's like this isn't really necessary anymore.

Guest Nick_N

LOLIts not a problem Bill and there is more to it than that because there was a post where the use of the word "reacting" was applied to one of my responses (J van E knows what I am taking about)So the combination of that past post, and, the fourm software, and, my assuption because I did not see the list correctly, led to that comment on my part and I did apologize although probably not as well as I should have.No problem, J van E and I are just fine,.. even though we sometimes go at each other LOL!and i do see your point about international differences in terminology... noted :)

LOLA minute before reading this, I posted in another message that English is not my native language... :( Hence the er... confusion. Maybe I should add a signature to my posts stating that 'English is not my native language! Anything that can be taken in a negative way is due to the fact that I am NOT a native English speaker!!!' ;)In MY country 'reacting' is quite positive btw. ;) Anyway, thanks for the very interesting lesson (seriously!), because I didn't know about this.EDIT:BTW This post was a er... reply (!) to Bill's post! Even though it ended up underneath NickN's post. :( ;) Considering the events from earlier this evening, I though it would be wise to add this... :)Sometimes forums can be big fun! ;)

Guest Nick_N

>LOL>>A minute before reading this, I posted in another message that>English is not my native language... :( Hence the er...>confusion. Maybe I should add a signature to my posts stating>that 'English is not my native language! Anything that can>be taken in a negative way is due to the fact that I am NOT a>native English speaker!!!' ;)>>In MY country 'reacting' is quite positive btw. ;) >>Anyway, thanks for the very interesting lesson (seriously!),>because I didn't know about this.>>EDIT:>BTW This post was a er... reply (!) to Bill's post! Even>though it ended up underneath NickN's post. :( ;) Considering>the events from earlier this evening, I though it would be>wise to add this... :)>>Sometimes forums can be big fun! ;)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/185304.gif

"About the texture_bandwith_etc: I remember Phil Taylor saying these settings have become redundant"I don't think Phil was referring to TBM and, indeed, on my rig I have shown that I can achieve better performance by dropping the setting from 40 to 30.In fact, since GEX appeared on the scene the blurries and sluggish ground texture catchup issues have, in the main, become things of the past for me. I can belt around at low level in the Extra and everything remains nice and sharp below and beyond. Part of the explanation can be attributed to the fact that clever things have been done to achieve far better autogen optimizations. And those ground textures, don't you just love them?!MikeASRock 939Dual-SATA2, AMD Athlon 64X2 4800+ (2400MHz)(Toledo), 2GB Crucial PC3200 DDR400 Ram 3-3-3-8 (2T)(Dual Channel), (PCI-E)Sapphire ATI Radeon X1950 Pro 512MB (Catalyst 7.10 WHQL), SB Audigy2 ZS Platinum (Drivers version 5.12.0001.1196 WHQL), Windows XP Home Edition (SP2), DirectX 9.0c

I see exactly the same thing, and I do believe that this is what FSX is meant to show. If you read the very detailed paper that is accessible via the FSinsider page on how the terrain system works, you'll see that only the closest 2.5 / 3.5 / 4.5 cells are displayed at the highest level of detail (1m resolution in the default scenery, I assume), based on your setting of the lod-radius slider. http://dev.fsinsider.com/developers/Pages/GlobalTerrain.aspxThese cells are quite small close to the aircraft and double in size, while dropping a level of detail (LOD) every 2 / 3 / 4 cells out from where you are located.Quote: "The terrain scene graph is designed for rendering with as much fidelity as possible but without having to load more data than necessary. Therefore, we only want to use the data with the highest level of detail (LOD) near the viewpoint and use progressively less detail as distance from the viewpoint increases." (picture attached)Maybe someone more familiar with the terrain system can jump in, but I believe that what you are seeing out the cockpit is correct per FSX architecture and would not change with a faster system.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/185310.jpg

Bert

Guest Nick_N

TBM is subjective to the machineWith a big VM and good CPU you can push that up and get excellent results.. I run 80 and find the terrain has a harder time keeping up at 60 and under with my hardware and the sliders I usehttp://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...=1200591200/5#5It really is a 'by system' setting but most I have set up end up at 60, 70 or 80. Those systems also meet certain criteria as well. :)

Guest byoung

I have the 7600GS w/ 256 MB RAM. What is the best way to optimize it? Can some one post their slider settings?Thanks!Barry

>I have the 7600GS w/ 256 MB RAM. What is the best way to>optimize it? Can some one post their slider settings?>>Thanks!>>>Barry>Didn't you post over at flightsim about this? Were you the same fellow?That being a 7600 card, you are going to have to make compromises.The best advice on slider settings I can give is to start way left, and gradually test each slider going right on each individual one as you test.There are too many hardware variables for someone to post their slider settings, and expect that to work well on your system. Fact is, it probably won't work well. Too many variables. My best advice is to start low and experiment. That is what I did, and probably everyone else here to some extent, unless they got lucky--to avoid blurries.If you don't want to do that sort of tweaking, there is always the FS-GS service.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB