Sign in to follow this  
planenut

Ken Salter's AlacrityPC released!!

Guest rocketeer

A little off topic, but is this true for XP and Vista?

Guest s0436

With a modest XP system using the default XP profile I got about 0.4 fps extra when sitting at Heathrow's active runway. And a couple of hundred MB of RAM saved. Nothing extraordinary but somewhat of a boost. And I found the start up to be the same length of time when AlacrityPC wasn't used, while it takes about 1 min to close down and revert back to the desktop when FSX is stopped.

Empty RAM is wasted RAM. XP and Vista even more so, are more than capable of managing memory and paging out memory that can be paged (i.e. that which is not kernel reserved).This will be done if required, i.e. you will end up in the same situation when running FSX as if you had manually closed those services using something such as this Alacrity.No disrespect but this is nothing more than a RAM cleaner which is snake oil. Do you honestly think the OS is not capable of managing its memory automatically to the extent that manually closing services would give you more resources? What do you think an OS actually does, this job is one of the fundamental processes of an OS...

Not sure about the "snake oil" remark. With FSX and the big add-ons (especially the PMDG 747X) it's not enough to have a particular amount of RAM in your PC: you need a particular amount of RAM in UNFRAMGENTED blocks. When Vista was first released, it seems to have had trouble delivering large enough unfragmented blocks of RAM to FSX. AlacrityPC helped with this problem.That particular problem in Vista seems to have been patched, so - I agree - you NO LONGER gain anything from AlacrityPC's memory management.On the other hand, you still get a slight boost by getting AlacrityPC to turn off background services. Personally I don't think it's a big enough boost to justify the hastle of running FSX through AlacrityPC. But that's just a matter of taste, not because AlacrityPC is "snake oil". Tim

Does APC add access to anything different than FSAutostart does? I have been using the latter, and combined with a windows hardware profile, end up with memory defragged and about 24 processes running. Will APC any anything to this? Thanks for your insights,NoelQX9650 w/ Retail HSF|ASUS P5E3 Premium WiFi|4GB Muskin Ascent 7-6-6-18 1T DDR3-1600|EVGA 8800GT|Seagate SATA 2 x 2|Seagate Cheetah 15K.x|XP Pro SP2|Vista 64--maybe never to be installed

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Hi Noel,APC is very user-friendly and IMO you should try it.It adds some smart functions like defining which core to use with monitored programs, number of time you wish to defragment memory etc...Just have a look here:http://alacritypc.kensalter.com/how_to_use.htmRegards,

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Just a couple of caveats here: In Vista, running alacrity, whatever you do don't kill the DOS window before letting it complete its reconfiguring of your system after quitting FSX. Doing so can leave your system without a desktop shell and it requires either a registry edit or a boot system edit to get it back when you restart the computer.Apart from that I am finding Alacrity gives a definite boost, despite the comments in this thread about Vista and XP managing resources perfectly well by themselves.I can only tell you that when I use Alacrity, together with my own tweaks and run FSX with for example the RIO/Brazil standard scenery with scenery and autogen dense, water at 2X normal,two layers of clouds and vis at 30 miles, but no traffic, I'm getting over 100 fps....yes over 100. That gives a lot of leeway to enable traffic, which on my system is easily the biggest frame rate hog. Running at 1920x1200 actually gives better frame rates than in 1600x1200, and I find that 16 bit colour gives more or less the same quality as 32 bit but adds around 25% fps improvement.Those 100 fps give an opportunity to run around 40% traffic so that large airports in a not-too-detailed scenery deliver around 40 fps, dropping occasionally to 25 fps when a lot of aircraft are in view.I also run FSX in high priority and this too makes a huge difference to smoothness and fps. I know there are some who say you should "never" do this. Well, that might be so for them, but I have never had a single lock up using high priority, and no artefacts, glitches or flashing polygons, even while running other apps alongside.Rob Young

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Just a quick ? about alacrity... when i start up alacrity it always says there are updates ( i believe 8 of them ) Is that true?I try to download them but never sucessfully, always stops half way and then i reboot manually.... Thanks in advanceSteve

Thank you DavidQX9650 w/ Retail HSF|ASUS P5E3 Premium WiFi|4GB Muskin Ascent 7-6-6-18 1T DDR3-1600|EVGA 8800GT|Seagate SATA 2 x 2|Seagate Cheetah 15K.x|XP Pro SP2|Vista 64--maybe never to be installed

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X