Sign in to follow this  
planenut

Ken Salter's AlacrityPC released!!

Something to remember though... Services are only used when required, when sitting idle they use next to nothing in terms of CPU cycles. They also get paged out of memory when that memory is required by another process...Vista uses more resources intentionally because of its precaching, it's designed to use as much memory as there is available to it as opposed to leaving memory sitting there empty and doing nothing. If that memory is required elsewhere though it will be released.

I've upgraded everytime. But the program still doesn't give me any real benefit. Tested it (on Vista 32) under various circustances. I got 1 fps more tops and as a bonus about 4 to 7 minutes of waiting time before FSX is loaded and a computer that has to be restarted afterwards because some things can't be restarted. ;) In short: this program does nothing usefull to me.

How to set priority for FSX to "high":In AlacrityPC's "Autostart" tab, choose to start FSX as a "Monitored" application. On the same screen, you can choose what priority to assign to the application, as well as the identity of the cores on which it should run.Tim

Guest PhilC

Speaking of cores...What should be the setting for the cores to run on?

There are so many variables that the best bet is to experiment until you find what works best on your setup. My preference: set FSX to run on all 4; get ActiveSky X and FSInn Control panel to start "before", and make them run on core 3 (ie, the 4th core in a 4-core system).Tim

>Well, closing services and programs frees RAM but also>relieves the CPU(s) of a heavy OS burden.>My experience is clear: the sim runs much smoother and there>is a significant increase of fps (about 15 or 20%).>I assume that Vista will really take advantage of this tool>more than XP because of the ressources needed by the OS.>But those services only use RAM when in use, when they are idle that memory is paged out. If they use non-paged memory reserved for kernel services then that can't be used by anything else anyway.Similarily, idle services use virtually no cpu cyles other than those used by the gatekeeper to check them which runs anyway...And, as before, Vista is designed to use as much ram as possible. People seems to see it's larger memory footprint as a bad thing and always quote that it's a resource hog when, in reality, it's making use of ram that would otherwise sit there idle doing nothing. That memory is paged out if required by aything else.

Hello!I have been using FSAutoStart until now, with FS9 and XP SP2. I have a dual core machine. As FS9 does not take profit of multicore, I assume I should assign it to Core 0 and other programs (FSMeteo, BAV ACARS) to Core 1. Will this be the right procedure? I am using SB3 and FSNavigator, which run as modules, so I think these will be running on Core 0 as well.FSAutoStart was already a good tool. I hope AlacrityPC is still better!Regards,

Hey Dave,Any chance you could post your settings with Vista x64 so we can see what you turn on and off?

Snowfalcon13 KRTS Reno, NV. The Valley of Speed/PMDG Beta Test Team

Windows 10 64 Pro/AMD Ryzen 3700X 8 core 3.5GHZ, ASUS ROG Strix B450-F, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M2 Cdrive, 1TB SSD D Drive, P3D V4.5/P3D V5 HF2

32 GB  DDR 3200 RAM/Radeon RX 5700XT 8GB

I agree...Mileage will vary with this one. My system is so optimized, I noticed no gain. It did free up 10 megs of ram. I have already taken care of un-needed services. Although, this could pay dividends for those that have not touched that aspect of their system. It did not crash, only fubard Track IR, but I fixed that. So...if you are not optimized to the last drop, this will do you good. Im on XP btw..Danon O.

I have my system optomized using Nick's tutorials and AlacrityPC didn't do a thng to improve the performance of FSX for me. I think I'm getting the best I can get without it. I'm not complaining, because I get between 25-40 fps when flying and 12-15 fps when landing at dense airports. I have all air traffic set at 50% and I'm using GEX and UTX, and most everything else is set near max except for road and water traffic which is at 20%. My textures are crisp and clear, no blurries, no stuttering. I really have nothing to complain about. If your system isn't optomized, however, AlacrityPC probably would be beneficial.

Guys, this program is good for those running their games, emails, office applications, burning CD/DVD, etc. on the same PC. In this case AutoIt/AlacrityPC become particularly handy and we should give our credit for that. But it does not make any wonders, nothing beyound what you can shut down or setup yourself. It is handy, it may be very helpful for switching between different modes you use your PC in.

Does this program do anything that AutoStart does not already do? Are there any advantages over AutoStart?Thanks:RTH

It doesn't do anything that the built in memory management doesn't do anyway, i.e. paging out services that are idle...

I'm using AlacrityPC for some weeks now and was quite happy with it.It did cut the mem-usage down from 850mb to 350MB and was working safe and stable - just until yesterday!I installed some updates as suggested by the program, and what I get now is this:while FSX is still running, alacrity is restarting all services and programs and restores the shell.I noticed that there's an entry in the log I did not see before.It says "Press X to stop waiting for monitor programs"The undesired restarting always happens while I'm programming the FMC in Wilco Airbus'. So I guess there's a keystroke sent some way causing alacrity to stop waiting.I was looking at the options, but found no way to inhibit this key-commands.Anybody got an idea if it's this what causes my problems, and how it can be solved?Best regards and thx in advanceKai aka OneDownOnw2Go

Hello KaiYou should explain your problem to Ken who is very responsive in his forum.http://kensalter.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.