Sign in to follow this  
Guest Eek

Vista slow sales....headline from Tom's Hardware today...

Yes, and Microsoft faces the grim task of continually persuading law enforcement in those countries to be more vigorous in pursuing these thieves.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

However their anti piracy methods have the end result of deterring the casual copier and alienating the legit user but really have little effect on the mass copiers. They need a way to stop the big operators without penalizing the legit users. Is that too much to ask? I think not.Meanwhile, it will be a long time before Vista winds up on any of my systems, if ever. Linux and Mac are looking better every day.Just MHO,Visit the Virtual Pilot's Centerwww.flightadventures.comhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Proud SupporterRadar Contact Supporter: http://www.jdtllc.com/

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I'm running Vista (probably one of the only ones here) on a dual-boot with XP, too. Vista so far for me has been stable, no crashes, not eating up a whole lot of system resources, so I'm happy. I haven't booted to XP for a couple weeks now... People just need to give it time, the OS isn't very old, and we've come to expect problems from new products...Now many times I'll harp on how much I love OSX (still have my ancient 12" Powerbook), but I like to use my computer for gaming, and let's face it, Macs aren't the greatest for gaming (even with Bootcamp running Windows).But back on topic, pirates are definitely a huge problem... Go and do a search at any torrent site or P2P program and see how many results you get. There are 1,000s of people pirating Vista...But I will also admit that some of the things MS does drives customers away....My $0.02

>I'm running Vista (probably one of the only ones here) on a>dual-boot with XP, too. Vista so far for me has been stable,>no crashes, not eating up a whole lot of system resources, so>I'm happy. I haven't booted to XP for a couple weeks now... >People just need to give it time, the OS isn't very old, and>we've come to expect problems from new products...>>Now many times I'll harp on how much I love OSX (still have my>ancient 12" Powerbook), but I like to use my computer for>gaming, and let's face it, Macs aren't the greatest for gaming>(even with Bootcamp running Windows).>>But back on topic, pirates are definitely a huge problem... >Go and do a search at any torrent site or P2P program and see>how many results you get. There are 1,000s of people pirating>Vista...>>But I will also admit that some of the things MS does drives>customers away....>>My $0.02I'm running Vista as well, on day two with no issues whatsoever.

>They need a way to stop the big operators without penalizing the >legit users. >Is that too much to ask? I think not.How?

If they lowered the prices of operating systems to a reasonable level, I think piracy would be reduced drastically. It wouldn't wipe it out, but I think you would see a major reduction. I think most people would have no problem paying $50 to upgrade an operating system. It is extreme pricing that entices a person to get involved in piracy. If they can sell OEM operating systems to large PC manufacturers for a bargain basement price, why can't they give the little guy who builds his own PC a break? Bill

I wish it was that way-but it isn't.See this recording:http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/...re+With+You.htmDoesn't cost much at all. You might notice that my name along with a bunch of other musicians is listed. When one makes a recording like this, one gets a fee (around $400) and then every time one is sold a very small amount is contributed by the recording company which is distributed to the musician at the end of the year as a residual and contribution to the musicians pension fund. The more the recording sells the more is contributed-it isn't all that much-but after you have made hundreds of these it can help.Before writable cd's were out I used to get a residual check of about $2500 every year from the 200 or so recordings I had done. Since writable cd's have been available it is now down to $250. Coincidence?I am sure the casual copier who buys a recording like this and then makes only a few copies for friends is not realizing that he is taking money out of the pockets of working people like me....So I don't see all of this "big brother" theory-but do see the media companies trying to protect themselves and their employees from the rampant copying that goes on today. Of course if none of the illegal copying had ever happened none of this would be necessary.In my case it is the casual copier home user that has hurt my way of life...http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

"It is extreme pricing that entices a person to get involved in piracy." How do you define "extreme prices" - as "prices greater than a person wants to pay"?The prices of all goods and services could be reduced to levels where there'd be no incentive to pirate or steal them. Of course, there'd be an unfortunate side effect - there wouldn't be any goods or services at those prices because it wouldn't be worthwhile producing them.Also, the "little guy" building his own PC will pay more for his components than an OEM who buys in bulk under commercial terms and conditions. Should component suppliers reduce their prices too?

I'm running Vista along with XP in dual boot as well now, no problems and I'm beginning to like Vista a lot, will stick with XP for games and sims for now, but otherwise I'll mainly be using Vista.

I define extreme pricing in this case, as the prices Microsoft charge for their operating systems. I really don't think it would hurt their bottom line to charge the same price for Vista Home Premium retail or XP Home retail as they would for a PC game title such as FSX.You will never be able to please everyone, as what is reasonable to one person will appear expensive to the next. I do however think the average home builder would have no problem paying the price of a PC game for an OS, and wouldn't even consider pirating one in that case.Obviously a large OEM who buys in bulk will pay less for his components than the "little guy". Hardware is in a different ball park than software. Hardware can not be pirated as such, so different pricing rules should apply.Component prices are actually fairly reasonable if you buy OEM parts at a large online supplier. There is a lot of competion in this area, and if you shop around, you can get some good deals.Bill

Guest Charlie

How little some have learned of the lessons of history. Vista defenses continue and I continue to be absolutely astonished that it is so. Well..no..astonished is too strong a word for my reaction to this in 2007. Astonished is what I was 20 years ago while watching the public surrender with barely a whimper to Reagan Administration/Industry demands for a scorched earth drug testing policy. A policy that put every worker under suspicion with no probable cause and forced him to submit to a search of his bodily fluids in order to gain employment. A policy that was and is clearly in violation of the 4th amendment to the U.S. Constitution, but upheld as legal by a myopic court system seeing a clearer line than exists today between government and industry. Yes, back then I was astonished. Today, while watching the Vista era begin, the feeling is more like discouragement and resignation. Because this just another confirming illustration of the society of sheep that we have become. I saw this coming years ago, as few today attach any significant value to freedoms and privacy that so many in former generations have fought and died to protect. They fought and died for what today

"Geof, if I may comment on your specific case and interest. Two thoughts come to mind. First, is it not and hasn

Charlie, it depresses me to have to say so, and that is I find it hard to disagree with much of the content of your well reasoned post.As I wound up by stating in another thread: "Doubtless Vista will be successful, but I suspect that route will prove to be the rockiest yet for the company"I really do wonder whether Microsoft fully realizes that what they have now started could prove to be the single most contentious issue ever to have challenged humanity. Perhaps they do and, by forcing such measures upon us, they may be hoping that the inevitable heated debate will eventually produce something positive and acceptable to us all. I can't imagine they actually enjoy having to keep closing those doors to constrain that maddening and ever resourceful bolting horse. Nobody can doubt that their actions are certainly a response to the current sickness and ever-increasing dishonesty that pervades our modern technological society. Question is, do the rest of us actually feel strongly enough about it to insist on a fresh approach, or do we simply bury our heads in the sand and acquiesce under the relentless pressure. I don't have the answers, but perhaps we should be encouraging those who do to voice their thoughts and be heard with our collective open mind.We do need to draw the line at some point and look for other solutions to these problems. Draconian activity borne out of the desire for quick results can only provide short term answers, be destructive in every sense of the word and undermine everything many of our ancestors fought and, in many cases, died for. To ignore that reality would be tantamount to a betrayal of their memory.Mike