Sign in to follow this  
sprintz

Formation Flying

I just got the Aerosoft F-16 last week and have been having a blast with it. It's been really fun flying low level flights thru canyons and stuff, but now I want more to do until there become some missions available.Last month in the PC Pilot issue that had the Skysim Hawk on the cover, the cover CD included a file called FSX AI Formation Toys - Version 3.Has anyone used it and how is it? Also, I am always really carefull about what I install into FSX. My set up is running so well that I hate to place any addon files that may compromise my setup.Are there any other utilities that you can use to fly formation flights in FSX beside online multiplayer? And if so, what are the best ones?Thanks,Sean

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I think you can do it with this:http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=airtrfcfxSo, the F16's pretty good huh? I'm been thinking about getting it, maybe for xmas or something. I control F16s at the MN ANG base in Duluth, so they're something I see a lot of hehe

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Yeah I saw that posted a few days ago but that has a little more than need. I know there was another utility that let you fly a short flight, then save it, and replay it while you are in another aircraft. Basically you are formation flying with yourself in a prerocorded flight. I cant remember where I saw it or what the title of the file was.As far as the F-16 goes, yes I love it. It's the most fun I have had in either FS9 or FSX. The only thing I had to do was mip the textures to make them look better. I dont know why the default liveries dont come mip mapped. When the casual user loads the plane for the first time in the display window they will probably think that the slightly shimmering textures are how its supposed to look, but they look a lot better if you mip map them. I would highly reccomend the plane, plue they are working on missions for it.

Guest dgpilot00

I second the F-16.. hands down the best fighter jet VC, flight dynamics, feel and realism I've ever flown in. This along with Flight Environment X and Megascenery X.. simply mind blowing

The newly announced Flight1 AirTrafficFX also allows formation flying check it out it it is still on the Avsim front page.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

I bought AirTrafficFX. The jury is still out on it. Very jerky gameplay with it running. However this might be what you are looking for http://www.mudpond.org/ I tyhink these guys made ATFX. Hope this helps.Glen

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will try out the RecorderFSX_1-3.zip file and see how that works. I tried the one mentioned in my first posts, FSX AI Formation Toys - Version 3, but using the F-16 it doesn't seem to work right. They AI formation fly at full speed and never complete a racetrac circuit. I will try the recorder and see how it goes.Thanks

Hi!First of all, note that the 1.10 patch fore Aerosoft F-16 came out just yesterday, 11-19. It's at the Aerosoft site. It contains a few new features that make joining up and flying with AI aircraft a lot easier. There's a target locator line coming from the gun cross on the HUD that always points directly to the AI aircraft. Also, it sports a new HUD missile ring that gives quick and accurate visual cues as to target aspect angle, and its distance, precisely, when within 12,000 feet. This is GREAT info to have in order to join up with the tanker and complete the new aerial refueling task. As to multiple aircraft formation flying, what I do is save a flight within FSX, start recording with FSRecorder, stop recording whenever I want, then save that recording within FSRecorder. Next, reload the FSX flight, let it play for a second or two, then open FSRecorder and choose the flight you just recorded in it, and select PLAY AS TRAFFIC. It will load, and the "old you" aircraft will be right in front of the "new you" aircraft. Start recording again within FSRecorder. Fly the formation with the old you. Save. Load flight. Play as Traffic. Record. Repeat. In no time you can be flying in formation with several AI aircraft... each of which you were once piloting! Very cool. Lots of fun.Enjoy!Scott