Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tim Arnot

Learn to fly.

I assume since this is a flight simulator forum and not a real- pilot forum that the lion's share of posters are virtual ones. Flying as a hobby or pastime is expensive, very expensive, but if you had suddenly come into a large sum of money (Lotto, inheritance, etc) would you take flying lessons and get at leaast your Private ticket?--Roger

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I can't pass the medical, but if I hit the jackpot I would probably buy an ultralight. If I hit really big I would get a PCXII and hire a pilot... one who will teach and let me fly as copilot...Best Regards, Donald T.:-waveFLYing? It's cool. Trillions of birds and insects can't be wrong.

You are probably right but I also see quite a few real pilots here on the forums also.I simmed from 1980-1989 before pursuing my real license-which was caused by my wife getting annoyed that I spent too much time simming on the computer and fighting this by getting me a ppl for a birthday present(a decision she has probably regretted lol). I now sim just as much but also fly rw-she really lost on that one!As far as a large sum of money-I have found that I can't ever go fast enough or nice enough. I am sure I could find a good way to spend such a source of income.With gas prices getting so high (and aviation gas not that much more than car gas at least where I live $4.87 avgas vs. 4.12 car gas) it almost is justifying flying -at least I am trying to convince myself so! :-)http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

I started flying in 1970. I found my first logbook, which also included a price sheet to get a Private rating. Try not to cry.Aircraft Rental (Cessna 150) - 45 hours : $585.00Instructor's Fee - 20 hours : $160.00Private Ground School - 40 hours : $80.00Computers, Plotter, Text, Maps : $22.50Total : $847.50Note Ground School was $2.00 an hour!!! Dual cost :$21.00 per hour; wet, naturally!!!I remember buying block time in their C-150 back then to save money: 10hrs=$100.00 :)I don't remember what the cost of fuel was in 1970, but in 1976, avgas (100LL) cost .64 cents a gallon.Ah, the GREAT old days!!!Don

I finished the last of my training here a few months ago. This is how it ended up$28,000 for flight and 30 hours of sim time$1,700 for ground schoolGround lesson time was free! I was in my instructors office nearly the whole time when he wasn't busy. I think this saved me a lot of money because I knew the information before I got in the airplane. He didn't have to re-teach it once we got in the air which could cost valuable coin.This got me my Commercial single, multi and my instructor and instrument instructor ratings. Now I am kinda stuck at the bottom of the pile with the industry coming down for a bit. Hopefully we rebound quickly and get back into the swing of things. :)

Here's a new and less expensive way to start flying and all one needs is a valid driver's license instead of a Medical. This has been the way for glider pilots. If you already have a license and your last Medical simply expired, than all it takes is a Flight Review sign-off and a valid driver's license. You don't have to retrain for the new license, you already have one. But, you must fly within the requirements of the new reg.http://www.sportpilot.org/learn/final_rule_synopsis.html--Roger

In the mid-50s.I learned to fly in a side-by-side Taylorcraft.Solo $7, dual $9. :-roll--Roger

Here in the UK, Avgas is $15.20 (equiv) per usgallon, vs unleaded 95 petrol at $10.80, and going up daily. With regular GA aircraft (Warrior/C172 etc) costing $300+ per hour wet to rent.I got my licence in 2004, when it was comparatively cheap - I think it cost me about

Plus they have modern engines that will run>on mogas and burn only 5gph, compared with those old lycomings>burning 12+ If I could afford the

>Flew to Idaho the other day for lottery tickets. I figured>that if I won, then I would have the money to pay taxes on the>new Cessna 172 with a Garmin 1000 panel and Bose headsets that>I'm going to win from "Sporty's Pilot Shop".... :)