If you are getting acceptable performance with your 4790k I would stick with it. Have you overclocked it?

Cheers

Martin

You'll see only a slight increase in performance. However... don't forget that the new Skylake platform has more to offer than just a small increase in performance.

Up to you to decide if those other features are worth spending money to obtain.

The new features with Skylake are stuff like onboard M.2 and U.2 ultra fast SSD support. High frequency and high density DDR4. USB 3.1 etc. Remote charging.

So in terms of frame rate a small improvement.

If you aren't interested in the new stuff then not much point upgrading for you then.

I'm on Ivy Bridge so worthwile for me. And I must build a new rig anyway as my son's having my present machine.

In a bench mark between the two the 4790k came out as better in single core performance which is what Flight Sim needs. Just keep what you got. You'll see quite an improvement comming from a 500 series card to a 980ti!!!! I love mine I have the MSI Gaming 6g. It's got one of the faster clock/per dollar around.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I personally don't think its worth the upgrade to skylake from a Haswell (4th generation) you will need new ram DDR4  new motherboard which you end up paying more money for not much of a gain better too upgrade the video card. I only think its worth upgrading to Skylake from Sandy Bridge (2nd generation) and Ivy Bridge (3rd generation) so I think its great choice getting the gtx 980ti.

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

In terms of performance, yes I agree, from Ivy Bridge yes, anything above that no.

But as I said, that's just performance, there are many users out there that are attracted to the multitude of other features Skylake brings to the table.

Is it worth upgrading how many fps and smoothness will i get at say uk 2000 heathrow i am getting between 20 and 30 fps now and it is a bit jumpy at times.

Alexander Shepherd

Is it worth upgrading how many fps and smoothness will i get at say uk 2000 heathrow i am getting between 20 and 30 fps now and it is a bit jumpy at times.

Well not that it is perfectly linear but lets say clock for clock it was 10% faster with the DDR4 ram and all. Lots of other variables I know but just to get a rough idea.

If you are getting between 20-30 fps just add 10%, now you got 22-33 fps. Again just a rough idea. 

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

What DDR3 RAM speed and timings are you running at the moment?