Sign in to follow this  
davecessna

So what's going on at REX?

I have REX Plus Essentials is it ok for use in P3d 3.2 or do I need an update?

Same question here!

I searched REX forums, but found no definite answer.

It seems REX is altering the Cloud.fx shader file and is making the low level cloud scale bigger.

GetScreenQuadPositions(quad, width*0.67, height*0.67);

Unless LM has made .67 rather than .50 the new default in 3.2?

It does seem any changes I make to the cloud.fx file are now overwritten each time I change cloud texture sets using REX TD, which is very annoying. Hopefully overcome by making the file Read Only

You can disable this change by unchecking the Low Level Clouds option within the Options window.

I have REX Plus Essentials is it ok for use in P3d 3.2 or do I need an update?

REX Essentials is fine with P3D v3.2. 

Same question here!

I searched REX forums, but found no definite answer.

REX Essentials works fine.   No changes there.

@Everyone -  Thank you all for your patience and kind words.  Enjoy!  Now on to the other projects. ;)

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

REX Essentials works fine.   No changes there.

Thanks Reed

Popcorn fixed? Will have to update when I get home.

By making your clouds bigger.

You can disable this change by unchecking the Low Level Clouds option within the Options window.

Meaning I won't be installing new low level texture sets :sad:

Maybe REX should have an option to rescale the clouds rather than force it on you. Scaling the clouds to this size, while looking nice, and eliminating some of the more obvious repeating, or popcorn effect, will adversely affect peoples performance, and may also cause issues with cloud positioning when using a weather engine.

My sweet spot for a scale is 0.60, so I have changed it back and made the cloud.fx file read only, which still allows textures to be swapped, but stops REX messing with the shader file.

By making your clouds bigger.

Meaning I won't be installing new low level texture sets :sad:

Maybe REX should have an option to rescale the clouds rather than force it on you. Scaling the clouds to this size, while looking nice, and eliminating some of the more obvious repeating, or popcorn effect, will adversely affect peoples performance, and may also cause issues with cloud positioning when using a weather engine.

My sweet spot for a scale is 0.60, so I have changed it back and made the cloud.fx file read only, which still allows textures to be swapped, but stops REX messing with the shader file.

Interesting. Novation can you share how to make that change? I would like to compare the size of low level clouds with this change.

Interesting. Novation can you share how to make that change? I would like to compare the size of low level clouds with this change.

Go to your P3D directory and open ShadersHLSL and then open cloud.fx in notepad++ scrolling down to line 311 which looks like the line below.

GetScreenQuadPositions(quad, width*0.50, height*0.50);

You need to change to numbers in red, keeping them the same to maintain the correct dimensions. The P3D default is 0.50 and REX TD changes it to 0.67. You can use any number you like, the bigger the number, the bigger the low level, cumulus clouds become. A number of 1.0 will make the clouds twice the size. The cloud size has quite an impact on performance, although that will depend on your rig.

• Upvote 2

Meaning I won't be installing new low level texture sets

As I understand it, this would happen every time you INSTALL a new low level cloud set. If you install the one you want, then uncheck the low level clouds and nothing will change. After that, if you WANT to change the low level clouds, reenable the setting, install and disable again.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

As I understand it, this would happen every time you INSTALL a new low level cloud set. If you install the one you want, then uncheck the low level clouds and nothing will change. After that, if you WANT to change the low level clouds, reenable the setting, install and disable again.

Vic

Yes that's understood. But as its only adding new low level textures that forces the change to the shader it seems odd advice to say the way around it is to deselect low level clouds and not install any. I want to install and try new sets, but I don't want REX to dictate what size they will be for very good reasons. There should be a tick box to opt out of the scaling for those reasons posted above. People who have been running with the clouds at LM's default values may wonder why they have lost performance after using REX TD.

Anyway the best way to prevent it, should you wish to, is the make the cloud.fx file read only as stated.

We also have the ShadersHLSL.cfg in the %programdata%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3 folder so you could put your desired copy of cloud.fx into an external folder somewhere, declare it with priority over the default in the ShadersHLSL.cfg, and let REX overwrite the one in the default folder to it's heart's content with no effect.

We also have the ShadersHLSL.cfg in the %programdata%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3 folder so you could put your desired copy of cloud.fx into an external folder somewhere, declare it with priority over the default in the ShadersHLSL.cfg, and let REX overwrite the one in the default folder to it's heart's content with no effect.

That sounds like great advice Jim but would be be good enough to explain how to give priority to your desired shader file please :smile:

By default the ShadersHLSL.cfg should look like this:

[Entry.0]
Title=Default Shaders
Path=ShadersHLSL
Required=True
Active=True

...so you'd just put your custom cloud.fx in a folder of your choice somewhere, I put mine in D:\P3Dv3 Addon Content\ShadersHLSL and then just added that path as [Entry.0] which gives it priority over default. Like this:

[Entry.0]
Title=Tweaked Shaders
Path=D:\P3Dv3 Addon Content\ShadersHLSL
Required=True
Active=True

[Entry.1]
Title=Default Shaders
Path=ShadersHLSL
Required=True
Active=True

Jim

0.67 will certainly impact anyone using SGSS AA with cloud density set to high on a cloudy overcast day.  I manually manage the REX files but agree it would be good to see some type of option in REX UI to prevent the changing of the shader files.

Cheers, Rob.

Jim

Great info. Thanks Jim.

0.67 will certainly impact anyone using SGSS AA with cloud density set to high on a cloudy overcast day.  I manually manage the REX files but agree it would be good to see some type of option in REX UI to prevent the changing of the shader files.

I don't have particularly powerful hardware by current standards, so even using the in-sim AA at 4x coupled with multiple cloud layers will be affected by having the clouds scaled to this degree.

I don't want to rag on REX though, as I love most of their products, but developers do need to be careful of making one size fits all type changes to our base sims files.

I know a lot of people have experimented with the cloud scale after LM accidentally set it to 1.0 causing a few issues, so perhaps it would be better to make a recommendation, or slider, so it can be tuned to individual hardware.

By default the ShadersHLSL.cfg should look like this:

[Entry.0]Title=Default ShadersPath=ShadersHLSLRequired=TrueActive=True
...so you'd just put your custom cloud.fx in a folder of your choice somewhere, I put mine in D:\P3Dv3 Addon Content\ShadersHLSL and then just added that path as [Entry.0] which gives it priority over default. Like this:
[Entry.0]Title=Tweaked ShadersPath=D:\P3Dv3 Addon Content\ShadersHLSLRequired=TrueActive=True[Entry.1]Title=Default ShadersPath=ShadersHLSLRequired=TrueActive=True
Jim
Very good idea Jim.

I made a batch file on my desktop that copies back the default cloud.fx file which I saved elsewhere.

However, my favorite Cumulus cloud is from FEX and I have another batch file that copies that one into P3D.

This is with size 0.50/0.50

Clouds%20HDR1.jpg

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Cheers, Rob.

I am answering Rob's post here, but I know others have asked this question about having something on the REX UI to allow for dynamic modification of the cloud sizes.   Many of this will be handled by Environment Force when it is released on the fly, but in the meantime we will look into this.  We may offer this function as a Public Beta first before we proceed to do a full release.  We have our development meeting scheduled for Monday.  This will be on the top of the list.  I will  keep everyone advised here.

• Upvote 1

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com