Sign in to follow this  
19AB67

DC6 tutorial

Hi captains, 

in the advent of the DC6 I wonder about the tutorial to come with it. 

Since a friend asked me about flying the Flight1 MD-80, I remember that in this simulation much support is given to run you through the various checklist -- even framing in the views which switch to turn next etc. 

However, in MD80 the guide somehow lacks the information ...

1. why do I have to it?

- obviously to get the whole aircraft running in the end, but there were items in the list

like closing/opening isolation valves, and it is not apparent, why you have to close/open it; 

2. why now?

- what philosophy is in the sequence?

3. what is fine in normal operations, what is wrong and needs interaction?

With the DC6 we again face an aircraft with round instruments,-- often without green and red arcs to help us here. 

The T7 came 126 pages of tutorial #1, how many do we have happily to expect re. the DC6? 

I fear that not too many of us will fly the bird every day, since we also enjoy the convenient, automatic systems of modern airliners. 

But by and then we will be lucky to manage (mostly alone on the flight deck...) this nice ship! 

(Is some update available as an Easter present?)

P.S. I just see that Kyle posted some more videos -- gemme a sec to watch them...  8^D 

P.P.S. Ah, there is an Artificial Flight Engineer AFE. 

Edited by 19AB67

Andreas Berg
pmdg_j41_banner.jpgpmdg_trijet.jpg

PMDG 737NGX -- PMDG J41 -- PMDG 77L/77F/77W -- PMDG B744 -- i7 8700K PC1151 12MB 3.7GHz -- Corsair Cooling H100X -- DDR4 16GB TridentZ -- MSI Z370 Tomahawk -- MSI RTX2080 DUKE 8G OC -- SSD 500GB M.2 -- Thermaltake 550W --

1. why do I have to it?
     - obviously to get the whole aircraft running in the end, but there were items in the list
       like closing/opening isolation valves, and it is not apparent, why you have to close/open it; 

2. why now?
     - what philosophy is in the sequence?

3. what is fine in normal operations, what is wrong and needs interaction?

I think we're usually pretty good about this in our tutorials.

With the DC6 we again face an aircraft with round instruments,-- often without green and red arcs to help us here. 

The gauges are a lot more expressive than what you're used to. There are arcs and bands in most of them.

The T7 came 126 pages of tutorial #1, how many do we have happily to expect re. the DC6? 

As many as are necessary. I imagine that it might be longer, since it will probably be more picture heavy, since a lot of the concepts are probably foreign to people.

Carb heat is probably going to be tough for people to wrap their heads around. People don't realize that the worst icing is found on warmer humid days and think it's more of a winter problem. I'd say anyone who has a private pilot cert or better would know that concept pretty well, but most of the pilots now have flown all fuel injected models, so the concept of a carb is a discussion for a nutritionist and not so much a pilot anymore  :P

(Is some update available as an Easter present?)

I might put up a video tonight. The latest build got some cool updates.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

Hi Kyle,

I flew this engine (a variant very similar) on the Canadair CL215 and though it was a few years ago cylinder head temps required as much or more monitoring. Having never flown the DC6 this may be different on it as in the 215 we wouldn't go anywhere near high as the DC6......that said we would sometimes be doing 30+ full power takeoffs in a 4 hour fire suppression session with an OAT in the 80-90'F range. Fun engine. Sometimes a real hoot to get going when hot. I really miss the sound and the instant power with throttle changes.

Dave

I'm really looking forward to the DC-6 release with money in my hand. I even installed xPlane in anticipation.   I flew the c-118 variant in 'Nam and yeah the cylinder head temps would need monitoring under that kind of situation. 

Bill North

I9 12900K @5.2Ghz  64 GB DDR4, RTX 4090, Win 11 Pro, 15 TB on 5 SSD's

Nice to see some radial engine guys here, it definitely was an experience. My time was with the R-2800 on the C46, heavy loads in the summer time and keeping the airspeed up to keep everything from redlining. ATC asking to increase rate of climb, standard reply... Unable.

Gary Stewart