Sign in to follow this  
Midnight Music

Temp fix for NVI users in clouds

If using NVI because you can't take the blurries that appear in the sim without NVI, I have experimented with a temporary solution for the FPS drop in clouds. Turn off HDR. Try it, it seems to lessen the FPS drop in clouds when using NVI. Down the road, when I get a 4K monitor, I may drop NVI and just use in sim settings, but for now high end addons like PMDG and Aerosoft Airbus just simply do not look as good inside and out without NVI help. HDR off seems to ease the FPS problems using NVI. I use the Rob Ainscough NVI settings. I also do not pin my sliders to the right, I have found a good balance for my rig which is basically an i7 4770k OC 4.2, 6GB GTX 980ti and16GB ram.

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

Thank you for this hint. But as always, it would be really nice to share which settings you actually use, both in P3Dv3 and in your NVI profile. "I use Rob Ainscough NVI settings" does not help me that much for example as there is no link and nothing. So, nice that you use those settings, but what are they?

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Where can I find Rob's NVI settings for P3Dv3 ?

( a desperate jcomm fighting not to buy the Pro License of P3Dv3, after having bought v2 just one month before the release :-/ ... )

But yesterday, exchanging PMs with one of the P3Dv3 ( very satisfied ) user, he confirmed not using NVI at all, and getting excellent performance from P3Dv3, much better than with any previous version of the sim or of FSX.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme disks, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

But yesterday, exchanging PMs with one of the P3Dv3 ( very satisfied ) user, he confirmed not using NVI at all, and getting excellent performance from P3Dv3, much better than with any previous version of the sim or of FSX.

Same experience as that unnamed user here :-)

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Interesting however I don't know what difference HDR would make to the performance. Worth a try though.

IMO It's impossible to not use 4xSGSS unless your running 4K as the sim looks horrendous without it.

I use NI with 4x SGSS otherwise the SIM is full of shimmering and jaggies.

With two GTX 980 in SLI (with single monitor works well), I see no difference in performance with HDR on or off, but I use off because the colors seem more realistic.

• Upvote 1

( a desperate jcomm fighting not to buy the Pro License of P3Dv3, after having bought v2 just one month before the release :-/ ... )

Take advantage of the Prepar3D 60 day money back. Explained on the LM website.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

I am on the 10 buck a month plan so can drop it any day if needed. But so far I like it. I set up a flight from O'Hare with both FSXSE and P3Dv3, same runway, same weather (ASN).  FSXSE all sliders maxed and AI at 100 percent, P3Dv3 almost all sliders maxed and all shadows checked  plus HDR and AI at 100 percent.

Fps in FSXSE  just sitting on runway looking straight out from cockpit of Aerosoft Airbus at O'Hare 26 to 30 fps. Fps in same scenario P3Dv3 36 to 42. 

NI active in both sims and 8xSGSS  in both. Also clouds do not seem to bother my fps in either sim. I have a video I will upload soon showing the Aerosoft bus auto landing at Pago Pago in almost blind conditions during a storm with full cover clouds in P3Dv3 using ASN.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Sorry, Rob Ainscough is so well known to P3D users, that I assume everyone knows his page. Here is the link.

Thruthfully, P3D works fine without NVI, it just doesn't look as sweet as it does with NVI help, especially addons. The HDR you can switch on or off at your discretion depending on the addon you are using.

http://www.robainscough.com/Prepar3D_Settings_2.html

Lee H

Thx guys,

P3Dv3 Professional with monthly license installed.

ASN and PMDG 777 Base 200-LR are my only add-ons so far. Next I will try Aerosoft LPMA ( know there are problems , but... ) and probably also Rex Soft Clouds, but I am really appreciating the skis in P3Dv3.

Performance great.

Had to set 2xSGSS in and Allow/On FXAA in NI.  HDR ON is an FPS killer, and I don't like HDR anyway ( also don't use it in DCS World and didn't use it in XP10 or IL-2 BoS ).

The PMDG 777 installed flawlessly, but of course the simconnect stuff had to be installed just like in the FSX:SE and previous P3D platforms.

So far so good :-)

Thx for the link to Robin's site.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme disks, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I am on the 10 buck a month plan so can drop it any day if needed. But so far I like it. I set up a flight from O'Hare with both FSXSE and P3Dv3, same runway, same weather (ASN).  FSXSE all sliders maxed and AI at 100 percent, P3Dv3 almost all sliders maxed and all shadows checked  plus HDR and AI at 100 percent.

Fps in FSXSE  just sitting on runway looking straight out from cockpit of Aerosoft Airbus at O'Hare 26 to 30 fps. Fps in same scenario P3Dv3 36 to 42. 

NI active in both sims and 8xSGSS  in both. Also clouds do not seem to bother my fps in either sim. I have a video I will upload soon showing the Aerosoft bus auto landing at Pago Pago in almost blind conditions during a storm with full cover clouds in P3Dv3 using ASN.

With those settings, you must have a monster NASA type rig. My experience with P3d is that you have to pull your sliders away from pinning them all the way on the right. It still all looks great. Most of us use 4xSGSS in NVI and pair it with 4X Aniso in the sim. The bottom line is that you have to experiment and find your own sweet spots.

Lee H

8xSGSS is way too much for even the best gfx cards on the market today, it will reduce your fps and cause stutters when clouds are present.

Contrary to what many say, the MSAA setting in P3D does NOT have to be the same as your SGSS in NVI.

I've found a nice compromise for my GTX 970 4GB that performs nicely in any kind of weather and that is: 8xMSAA (in P3D) and 2xSGSS in NVI.

If you've got a similar card, give that a try.

And btw, the Anisotropic setting can easily be set at 16x. No reason to go lower as this is no stress for the gfx card.

That's great to know, might be an ideal compromise. Can't wait to try it out.

Lee H

8 SGSS in NI works for me but I am using 3 980's and in heavy clouds all three are working very hard at over 70 percent at 79c. I also  use an i7 5930 k at 44 mhz and P3dv3 makes that work hard as well and even with liquid cooling it runs in the high 60's c range in heavy clouds or large custom airports.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Peter's suggestion works quite well. 8xMSAA, 16X Aniso in the sim with 2048 textures and 2xSGSS in NVI. It clears the blurries, but still gives good performance in heavy clouds. HDR lighting on. The acid test will come tonight when I load one of the PMDG craft.

Lee H