Sign in to follow this  
gregda

HDR settings....

Was just curious about what other's HDR settings are and thoughts on it.  I have been tinkering like a mad man trying to get it just right....HDR no HDR ( none is too dark always for me), then on the HDR sliders.  I noticed the saturation literally goes from black & white to full color so for the most color that is 1.  The brightness at default 1.1 is just glaring so that had to come down some, but under 1 it was just too dark.  Then I started fiddling with bloom.  Someone said 0.45 was good and liked that but eh that seemed too drab after awhile with the brightness turned down to 1.  Then I said you know just try what the 'nominal' settings are likely....1,1,1.  And I have to say it is perfect (for me).  If you try that in the PNW region you too may like it!  The colors are vibrant again.  I'm finally content with HDR now and ready to move on and have some fun!

BTW...I am a newb on here and don't post much but I had to share this it was so exciting:)  I've been unsatisfied with the lighting in P3D until I stumbled across this today so thought I'd share...

Greg

Hello Greg,  good post thanks for sharing.  Yes the great thing about the HDR settings there's no rite or wrong it all personally preference.   I like my fields as green as possible so my saturation is all the way up, also like it darkish as well.   These are my favourite for today anyway 

23085497810_20693f6208_o.png

Only wish i could over-clock my Saturation to make my fields even green, love green fields  :smile:

Only wish i could over-clock my Saturation to make my fields even green, love green fields  :smile:

Have a look at this Elaine. www.reshade.me

Initially, it is a very visually intimidating program but - once you read the documentation, it is incredibly simple to use. You want greener grass....???

Edit: Forgot to mention that it is a very sophisticated bit of Freeware.

Great topic!  Hope more people share their HDR settings being as I just installed V3 and am tinkering around with them.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

First can I say with all due respect, that posting HDR setting is all but a waste of time. ..... try this and see at best  realy.

The thing that will decide how things look more than anything is the screen your using I use two Samsung's and one is far better than the other, they both look totally different.

The first thing anyone should do is calibrate your monitor.

You have a build in way to "over-clock my Saturation to make my fields even green" and change most things before going into HDR.

Use this..."use NVIDIA settings"

look.jpg

Don't copy my setting they are what work on my screen not yours. Take your time load the sim in windowed mode and have a play.

In Channels you can just play with one colour.

Also when night flying you will need different setting. Below was in the middle of no were and the moon was not out. Very little ambient light.

q400.jpg

Frankly there was little point in posting that screen shot as it will not show on another screen as it does on mine lol. 

And for what its worth....very little

rob.jpg

• Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

New to P3D (v3) but after messing around with HDR quite a bit, I came to the conclusion that no HDR works best for me. I found the contrast between shaded and sunny cockpit and the shaded cockpit and the outside world to be too much, the scenery seemed washed out, the hue of spectral textures off my aircraft was shifted, so I turned it off. I use the NVIDIA Control Panel exclusively.

That said, I am brand new to this and totally open to being shown the light (pun intended) if someone can explain to me what I can accomplish with HDR that I can not do with NVIDA alone.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Well blow me down.  I hadn't a clue about setting in nvidia.  But now after amping up all  3 (brightness, contrast and gamma) non-HDR is stunning.  Days are bright...fields are green (not pastel green!), and the ground textures seem so much crisper than with HDR.  I'm with odourboy and would like to be enlighted on HDR since it seems to me to have more negatives than positives over non-HDR.

I second the comment recommending Reshade.me.....I never liked the HDR settings but Reshade has my sim looking stunning. Took some fiddling to get what I wanted but I love it. You will generally need a setting for both day and night. My nights are incredible....dark skies and bright night lighting!

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

Hello Greg,  good post thanks for sharing.  Yes the great thing about the HDR settings there's no rite or wrong it all personally preference.   I like my fields as green as possible so my saturation is all the way up, also like it darkish as well.   These are my favourite for today anyway 

23085497810_20693f6208_o.png

You can go to your p3d.cfg file and change this line - I have all ready - tweak to your hearts content

HDR_SATURATION=1.100000

Rich Sennett

Well blow me down.  I hadn't a clue about setting in nvidia.  But now after amping up all  3 (brightness, contrast and gamma) non-HDR is stunning.  Days are bright...fields are green (not pastel green!), and the ground textures seem so much crisper 

There you go  :smile:

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Also when night flying you will need different setting. Below was in the middle of no were and the moon was not out. Very little ambient light.

Hi David, which settings do you change to get a nice dark night?

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Have a look at this Elaine. www.reshade.me

Ah yes David, had a peep at this before some time back for about an hour until my brains melted and poured out my ears.  Now that I'm an expert i will go back and check it out again though  :smile:   

You have a build in way to "over-clock my Saturation to make my fields even green" and change most things before going into HDR.

Use this..."use NVIDIA settings"

Very good David, great post, i never thought of doing this, i will try this Natural way first.  Loads of bits and pieces to play with in there   

You can go to your p3d.cfg file and change this line - I have all ready - tweak to your hearts content

HDR_SATURATION=1.100000

Good stuff Rich, didn't know that either, will defo look into that.

Good thread guys good thread,  happy Sunday morning to everything one yaaaaaaaaaaaaa 

Hi David, which settings do you change to get a nice dark night?

Hi Carlo

I Note my setting for day, the ones you see in the screen shot of NVIDIA are for day. Load the sim at night then play with brightness/contrast/gamma. To its how you like  . have fun  :smile:

I do very few flights at night but Ive just bought night lighting for the UK and with Flybee city hopes its great.

@Elaine,

Just note the setting before you start and if it goes wrong just reset. 

Here with photoscenery :

- Brightness 0.9

- Bloom 1.3

- Saturation 0.9

Now the clouds are a bit grey looking from underneath and very bright from above.

I have compared with many photos from above clouds with the sun shining on the clouds...

The photoscenery is looking very good now.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Nice settings Gerard...I agree, definitely work well to highlight cloud density, yet bright enough to add realism.