Sign in to follow this  
jon b

Holding Overshoot

Fernando,The real one always overshoots the magenta line on entering the hold, and also will go past the line on any further holds by a far amount.I wouldn`t worry too much as its inacuracy in the hold although I`m sure not intentional? makes it more realisticregardsJon

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Guest fcrash

But is this normal? It happens to everyone?[]s Fernando

I have found it to be normal. The magental lines on the display are for reference only, they are not actual ground tracks. In fact, the perfect oval rarely occurs due to winds. The ground track with cross winds will have an outbound leg at a significant angle to the parallel of the inbound leg to compensate for the wind effects in the turn. They end up looking more like keyholes than ovals.

Dan Downs KCRP

>But is this normal? It happens to everyone?>>[]s Fernando Since he flys the real bird (747-400) I would say his answer should settle the question don't you agree?...............Randy J. Smith................A PROUD MEMBER OF THE PMDG BETA TEAM[h4]Evolution is a process that results in heritable changes in a population spread over many generations[/h4]

>>But is this normal? It happens to everyone?>>>>[]s Fernando>> Since he flys the real bird (747-400) I would say his answer>should settle the question don't you agree?>>>>...............Randy J. Smith................>A PROUD MEMBER OF THE PMDG BETA TEAM>[h4]Evolution is a process that results in heritable>changes in a population spread over many generations[/h4]Randy i think he was referring to other users and do they overshoot holds too. i confess to never flown a hold in the 744 yet so i dunno. id imagine if your speed was slower you'd be more accurate in the turns

Guest fcrash

Paul , same thing , i've try a hold with 180kts and its the same.[]s Fernando

really? hmm ok well maybe as jon stated its programmed that way because it behaves like the real 747. After all its not a 737 its a big bird :) i wouldnt imagine its a massive problem even if you fly on VATSIM they will make allowances for heavy jet performance (i hope :) )

Guest fcrash

Paul , as you can see on the pictures one of the turns on the hold is perfect , and the other turn he overshoots. That way I believe that is a problem with the software , maybe a bug.I've done the same Holding with a LDS 767 and it is perfect[]s Fernando

have you tried changing the Leg Time? also with a tailwind you might have a longer turn than the other one with the headwind

Paul,Yes I think you are right about the winds,I`ll have to look up how the FMC adjusts for drift,as I can`t remember off the top of my head.Again I`m not sure if its be programmed to behave this way but knowing the programmers its probably an exact replica of how the real FMC makes corrections.Or it may just be an acident,either way its fairly typical behavior of the real machine in the holdregardsJon

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

All the info I can find says you should stay on the pink track if you are in LNAV and at the hold best speed,provided the wind component doesn`t require more than 30 degrees of bank to stay on the pink.We seldom hold at the FMC generated speed in real life which i guess would explain why its not uncommon to see the plane going outside the hold.regardsJon

787 captain.  

Guest fcrash

Jon , does this kind of things hapened with you?[]s Fernando

Funny how these birds can follow a LOC or GS signal with hardly any perceptible deviation, but can't keep on a racetrack.Paul

>Funny how these birds can follow a LOC or GS signal with hardly any >perceptible deviation, but can't keep on a racetrack.I guess they put the precision where it's needed! ;-)Cheers,

>Funny how these birds can follow a LOC or GS signal with>hardly any perceptible deviation, but can't keep on a>racetrack.The latter is just an FMC generated track though.I remember when I was a lad I could fly a hold just using a VOR needle! Doubt I could do that now, I`ll fire up the sim and have a go!Jon

787 captain.