Sign in to follow this  
kevinh

So how goes the MD-11?

Guest ALFS

Craig, you're great. I totally agree with your view!!!

you could always add things like the weather rader and have it as an optional feature...and warn that its not modeled correcly after the real thing. that would be a great compromise.

Jean Luc-I will not go into specifics, but there are some bold claims you're making, regarding the Flight Simulator internals and precipitation data. I can't imagine how you'd get precipitation details, for example, for clouds that exist 40 miles away from the aircraft.Anyway - if anyone here is bashing your products, I'd respectfully ask them to stop. People are free to judge using their own free will - you, as I understand, are part of the upcoming AirlinersXP product development team, so you'll face the same challenges in those products I am sure.Best regards,

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Jean Luc,I'm not sure why my name was at the top of your post but I wasn't sure about why PMDG didn't make a WX radar and made statements off the only information I had at the time. Then someone clarified the reason. I'm not even sure what a WX500 is either. I'm guessing it's the radar on the 744. I just know the system as 'the weather radar' and know that it helps to keep passengers happy (or gets them irritatied/frighened if you decide to fly toward the red spots). I had no intention of knocking anyone's product and no one really did. They were only explaining what others use for the WX radar information while explaining why PMDG didn't produce one.Ryan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'ihttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

I applaud fidelity to the real thing, but WX radar does work to a certin extent and it's good and entertaining enough for me.Most of the time, red areas are raining, and as shown below, thunder clouds with turbulence show up from some distance away. Not perfect, but adds to the simulation.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/166385.jpgBut seems like minds are already made up so no point belaboring the point....PatAMD A64 4000+ @ 2.6GHz, Zalman7700Cu cooler, Corsair XMS 1GB DDR, LTK6800GT-OC, Asus A8V MoBo, WDRaptorHDD, TrackIR4, CH FSYoke+TQ+peds, Eclipse RED KB, XP-hsp2

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

Weather radars are all very well, but has anyone at PMDG looked at the possibility of adding EGPWS to the sim? One company did it (Lago), but with a separate 700MB terrain database. But is it possible to tap into the FS terrain mesh itself, rather than use separate data?I think terrain warning displays would be much more interesting and useful than some weather eye candy, especially as in FS the WXR "warns" you of turbulence which isn't there, unlike the terrain which definitely is :)Kevin

ki9cAAb.jpg

Ssomeone brought up showing terrain once but that was over six months ago. Even with the FS database, the computer WILL freeze up because it even does that on the real aircraft. Only when the ND is displaying lots of things, of course. Personally, I'd rather rely on charts rather a radar that always jams at the wrong time. And not every 744 has it anyway. EDIT: Believe it or not, here's the original topic:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...12769&mode=fullRyan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'ihttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

Guest KaelO

I agree completely. PMDG make great products, I owen each one of the them, but it seems a little weird to advertise a product like this 24 months before you plan on releasing it.Hurry up and finish or take the advertising down

Guest A32X

Any news on the MD-11 update?Cheers,Paul

"... it seems a little weird to advertise a product like this 24 months before you plan on releasing it."Not if there's been six years of work on it and predicting when it would be finished would be impossible."Hurry up and finish..."What a moronic statement. After six years we're supposed to "hurry up". It will be released when we've completed our work, and we aren't there yet. "... or take the advertising down." What?! After everyone else demanded that we put it up so there would be information on it? I guess we can't win for losing.Oh, and by the way. Sign your name to your posts.Bill

If you saw a terrain display in operation you might understand why it is so useful and adds so much to the experience. It's not a radar picture by the way, the terrain display is purely synthetic, derived from GPS position relative to a terrain database held within the EGPWS. EGPWS terrain is not displayed in solid colours, like WXR, but a matrix of coloured dots. I don't think you can simultaneously display WXR and Terrain at the same time, but I may be wrong.The computer does NOT freeze. EXCESS DATA is a warning to declutter the display. It does not mean the EGPWS has jammed in any way, just that some less critical ND data is not displayed.As for EGPWS installation in transport category aircraft, It is mandatory in the USA (since 2005) and will be eventually worldwide. Yet only one FS developer has implemented it in one sim, with one TAWS add-on also available (but not the kind usually seen on airliner flightdecks).The TAWS addon uses the FS terrain mesh so it seems the data is accessible.Kevin

ki9cAAb.jpg