Sign in to follow this  
tunnelcat

Most challenging approach for 747

Hi all captains,I would just like anyone's opinion on just what are the most difficult or challenging approaches for the 747, other than the old Kai Tak approach? Interesting ones based on navigation, terrain or weather constraints would be fun. Thanks.Kim

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

CRI VOR approach to 13R KJFKCheersJon

Ah yes the Canarsie approach. "Ladies and Gentlemen look off to the right, note the runway thats aligned with us by 90

We had an incident several years back with a 744 (JAL?) flying the LDA 26 approach here at Honolulu. Apparently the pilots flew a little too far right of the localiser. Hotel guests said that they were actually able to see the faces of the passengers staring out the aircraft windows.Ryan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'ihttp://www.virtualpilots.org/signatures/vpa296.png

VOR/DME RWY 09 at SXM(TNCM - Princess Juliana) is a classic, flaring just over the beach...Maybe not for a 747, but great with a 737, is DME/NDB/VOR procedure at Santos Dumont (RWY 02R). Challenging and intricate - a must try approach...You also have LOC/DME RWY 08 at Innsbruck (LOWI). If you like flying between the mountains.Enjoy *:-*

Runway 10 at Guantanamo Bay has an interesting and very tight approach for a 747. The difference there is, if you get it wrong, you risk being shot at by the neighbours.OK, it's not a civilian airport, but 747s do fly there on US Government contracts.Kevin

Thanks all for the suggestions. These approaches all sound interesting, so I'll give them a try.Sometimes when I'm in a crazy mood, I'll try landing runway 9 at KTEX with a lightly loaded 747. You'll use up most of the runway on that landing. It's actually possible to take off from runway 9 with a partial load and enough fuel to get to KCOS. Those mountains are close!Kim

LYTV rwy14 in Montenegro is a good one.Nebojsa

Quito, Ecuador and Mexico City Rwy 05L/05R might be challenging as well.Jasper :-wave

Yeah that approach in to mexico have little chance for error, mountains are close to the city on your approach. Also landing from the opposite direction will make it hard for a Go Around due to them. Not much space to turn, unless you do a tight turn.

Wow, that Mexico City runway 05L/05R approach is a good one, especially with good terrain mesh installed in FS9. This one is a challenge with a large aircraft such as the 747. Thanks all.Kim

Kim,Not for the 744 but Rwy 09 at Gibraltar (LXGB) is very interesting...only flown by BA (A320) & Monarch (A320 or 752) & just recently by Iberia although I'm not sure what AC they are using (prob A320??)Take a look at the charts available from Navigraph & you'll see why...one of my favourites for the 737NG.Regards Steve B

KLGA Rwy 13. (hand fly)With Aerosofts Manhatten and Sheaz's KLGA airport scenery.Manny

Steve,Thanks for the heads up on Gibraltar Rwy 09. I have the 737NG so I'll get the charts and give it a shot.Kim

LGSM RWY 09 VOR CIRCLING steep right turnLGKR RWY 17 CIRCLINGLGKR RWY 35 FLying KRK VOR R-320 OutboundLGST RWY 23 and 05LGIR RWY 09 GO http://avsim.com/greece/scenery/index_main.htm and http://www.greekairportsproject.gr/scene.htmland download the FS2004 FREEWARE SCENERIES first[EDIT] Oh!!! I just saw that is for 747 specific........try LGKR and LGIR only then....http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/betaimg.jpgSam

Sam,I was just reading about the Samos LGSM Rwy 09 visual approach in Computer Pilot magazine and gave it a try in the 737NG. That one is a good challenge but apparently it's even more spectacular in real life due to the close hilly terrain that is not represented very well in FS9.I'll try out the LGKR and LGIR airport approaches for the 747. The Greek Isles are gorgeous. Thanks for the freeware sceneries link.It's going to take me awhile to try out all the excellent suggestions I've gotten here.Kim

Try some of the airports in Tibet. ZUBD, ZUNZ, ZULS. They aren't in the stock FS9, but someone has made a fantastic add-on scenery for free here on Avsim. The Kashmir region also has some great airports, both in India and Pakistan. Get the freeware scenery available from the Avsim library and also get the mesh for the Himalayas. Try VILH (Leh, India), VI57 (Thoise), OPSD (Skardu, Pakistan), and also Chilas and Gilgit (Both in Pakistan). I fly the 73NG and 744 regularly into these fields. Some are above 10,000 feet, so if you fly the 744 into them the Cabin Altitude warning will be going off at some point. You can fly the 400 into any of these if you are under at least 300T. Although be warned, she eats lots of runway. I wish we flew the 400 into even one such fun airport, but unfortunatly, most ports we go to are long runway international mega airports. They provide their own challenges, but they are not usually fun ones. I agree, the VOR13L/R into JFK is quite fun on the 744, especially since it often involves a go-arround due to slower traffic ahead. It is about as close as you can get to Kai Tak, but without the checker-board or tall buildings. Landing on 13L with a strong X-wind, a little wet on the ground, and at max landing weight of 300T on the freighter is about as challenging as it gets for me. That autobrakes 4 or even MAX works wonders.Mariano