Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Please Take a Look & Tell me what you think?

Is this just my navdata being too old, or do have more serious issues?It's an LFPG addon.

Check to see if the addon modified FS's magnetic variation data - that can cause this sort of thing.

I've also had a bad AFCAD file play havoc with the magnetic variation. But when this happens, it's usually my heading that's off by around 30 degrees.

Now have a look at these!!!! This is the same issue.These 2 screen shots are the FS9 744, and the FSX 744. Both in EXACTLY the same location, using EXACTLY the same flight plans. Yet, when in FSX, the FMC always shows this behaviour unless actually CROSSING the waypoint. It appears i

it's getting worse every flight - won't even hold a flight plan now. The aircraft gradually veers away from path, then goes into 'silly' mode, going from left to right!it's only the 744 doing it. I've tried screen shots, but whenever I load FSX, every screenshot i take is just BLACK! I'm running latest drivers and have tried earlier vervions.Anyone - PLEASE?

Phil - have you installed any add-on sceneries?If so, try this. Go to the scenery library and turn off the addon scenery. You can always go back and turn them on.Restart FS and see if there is any change.Just for grins, make sure your international settings in the OS (MS XP or Vista) are using decimals for tenths separator (US custom) not commas (European custom).Keep trying, it is probably something really easy to fix but hard to find.

Thanks, will try that next. I just uninstalled EVERY single PMDG application on my PC, removed ALL remnents, and ran a registry scan to remove all other PMDG entries. Sorted every other aspect of my PC, defragged, then reinstalled all the PMDG stuff. All to no avail, which i'm sure most here could have told me anyway.I can't fly with LNAV at all now! Works fine when flying on AP using other MCP settings - bizarre!

I have seen that with one airport so far so I landed it completely manually. Would not line up with the runway at all.Also have seen one that did line up with the runway but not where it should have been.I put it down to bad data either in the AFCAD or the NavData. Have not had any issues with any other airports.John Veldthuishttp://www.virtualpilots.org/signatures/vpa475.png

Nope - not that either. Don't know what difference it could make but have deactivated all 3rd party scenery anyway.It's really strange - did you notice how the route on the ND won't run 'heading up'? Also, the aircraft is always deviating to the right of any routes.I've over cooked it now with this and need to go to bed. I'm quite ill at the mo, and 16 straight hrs at the PC isn't good even for healthy folk.Hopefully, all you 'very nice chaps' on the east side of the pond will have me sorted by the time i wake up:-lol Must sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep now!

Can I PLEASE have some input from PMDG??? I cannot fly using the FMC in LNAV!!!

It must have something to do with a corrupted add-on scenery or the magdec.bgl. I had the same Problem some time ago with FS9. Jan-Paul

I no longer have any addon scenery activated.PMDG, can I please have some help?????Even if you don't know what to suggest, can you please say that.

After getting next to no help here from PMDG, i tried emailing tech support.I got what appears to be a standard response suggesting i remove my entire FSX installation and start again!!!!! I think we all know how that goes.... When everything else is working just fine?If anyone has any ideas on this, however remote and unlikely, please let me know.Thanks

Here is another very basic example of what's happening;This simply an inserted route from KSAN to KSFO via OCN. Nothing complicated.Look how the aircraft goes way over to the right before trying (most times unsuccesfully) to cross the waypoint.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/181937.jpg

Phil,IIRC I have seen some users getting rid of this problem uninstalling the 747X making sure all PMDG related stuff are removed. If not manually delete any remnants and then reinstall the 747X. Again from the top of my head it seems sometimes the installation goes bad.It might be worth a try before reinstalling the whole shebang.Hope it helps,

Dude, take a default FSX plane and set it on the end of any runway, startup the aircraft and throttle forward a few feet. Check the default FSX GPS and see if the heading on the compass matches your display in the FSX GPS, if it's off by 30 degrees or so, then you have a bad AFCAD. Save the flight to restart quickly later in this trouble-shooting procedure.Then check your FSXScenery AddonScenery folder and your FSXSceneryGenericScenery folder for AFCAD files. Move, not copy, all of these AFCADs to a temporary folder location (outside the FSX path) keeping track of their respective original folder locations. Now disable any add-on sceneries in the FSX scenery library by unchecking the respective checkboxes. If you not sure what to disable, check the path and under the respective scnery folder, look for any AFCAD files, if you find one, disable that scenery.Now fire FSX backup and reload the saved situation file used before. Don't forget, you have to move several feet for the default FSX GPS to correctly orient itself. No check the compass and GPS, do they agree? If so, you have a bad AFCAD file. If not, you more than likely have a bad magnetic bgl file. For the later, get the file from someone by e-mail or get off the original FSX media. For a bad AFCAD, start renabling sceneries and recheck the issue by loading the situation file again, comparing the compass and GPS. If all sceneries turn back on and alignment is still good, then start copying back AFCADS to to their original locations. Do about half the files at a time (half-split trouble-shooting) and recheck. Problem re-appears, then once-again romove some of the AFCADS you just restored, and so on. This method only takes a few minutes to find the single bad AFCAD file and I've been successful in finding a single bad file out of 4000 AFCADS in my FS9 collection.Good luck.

Hi AlMany, many thanks for the detailed help. All PMDG had to offer via email was to COMPLETELY remove my FSX installation and start again! Finally, reluctantly, i've just done this (at lease itmeant i could do a clean SP2 install).Nada, nothing, zilch, no change! I now just have an FSX install with ONLY the 744 and it still does it!!! Bah humbug i say!Will still try as you say just out of curiosity.Ta!EDIT: Yes PMDG, I DID remove ALL other FSX related files.

No such luck!HOWEVER.... I just installed FSX again (!!!), followed by only the 744.This time however, i did not install any additional liveries, and have just completed a short route with no probs. That i do not understand. Anyone else?

Maybe redownload a few liveries fresh from PMDG and try those and see if the problem reappears? If it doesn't download the rest and reinstll all of them and check again?My two cents worth... Really strange as I haven't seen this exact problem before and I've seen most of the common culprit issues...Other than that, maybe hard-drive issues, bad sector where the magdef bgl file is getting laid down on the drive?I would trouble-shoot with FSX and SP1 only though... All the experts haven't nailed SP2 yet and SP1 seems pretty stable...

Thanks Al, apreciated.'tis truely bizarre to say the least. Apparently, PMDG have "five" other people with the same issue, so it's not a completely isolated case.Ho, hum.... story of my life;-)

Is the FSX default aircraft offtrack as well? If they are, then I think it's a FSX issue. If not, then a PMDG / Navdata issue. When you last re-installed without the liveries, and it seemed to be fixed, had you updated the Navdata yet? What cycle does your init-page in the FMC indicate, both when it was off-track a now, on-track?Just a few more thoughts...Also, I see you're running Vista. Where do you have FSX installed? It's not under C:Program Files is it? That has been causing priveledge/write problems, even with UAC turned off. Are you installing and executing FSX with UAC turned off and righ-clicking the installers and choosing "run as admin"?But, I still stand by my original theory. Heck, I saw this exact same thing a few weeks ago with FSX-Accel/SP2 and the PMDG-744X. I reinstalled FSX from the ground up since then, and haven't seen it since. The one thing I haven't done yet, is re-install all my third-party sceneries or downloaded AFCAD files. Every time I have seen this problem, it has been AFCAD related. Maybe some edited AFCAD files don't like the FSX SP2 upgrade, as I am now only running SP1.