Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dean

I doubled my RAM - Now what? Any next steps?????

Hey Gang!I have doubled my RDRAM form 256 to 512. Is there anything I should do in terms of adjusting any parameters or such that is recommended in order to take advantage of the additional horsepower or is the computer and video card smart enough to realize that there are more bangers under the hood and that a lot of their work is now relieved?Thanks in advance!Sincerely,Dennis D. Mullerthttp://www.aavirtual.com/images/aav205_banner.gif[/img]

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I went from 256mb to 1gb sdram and I see a big different, but going from 800mhz to 2ghz also helps :)

Hey Michael J!To be honest with you, I have not noticed any difference yet. The computer boots up as fast as it used to; it takes as long to defragment the HD as it used to before the upgrade (@3.5 hours); FS2002 runs pretty much the same as it used to before the upgrade. In other words, I have not seen the benefits of doubling my RAM yet. Any ideas?Thanks again!Sincerely,Dennis D. Mullerthttp://www.aavirtual.com/images/aav205_banner.gif[/img]

Dennis,With so much RAM you can virtually eliminate your swap file. Go to the virtual emory settings and set the fixed swap file size, say around 200 MB. Set the max and min to the same value - 200 MB. I am not saying it will give you some big boost but this is what I would do at this point.Michael J.

Dennis,Are you using WIndows98 or XP ?Because if you use Windows98(-SE) without any background tasks at all (so flying off-line, no Internet, etc) you won't see any noticeable improvement above 256 Kb.Rob

Upgrading from 256 MB to 512 MB RDRAM is exactly what I'm thinking of doing. But as you are saying there's not much difference with 512 MB in FS2002, I'm having second thoughts...Shouldn't, for instance, textures load faster and stay loaded in the memory longer? Are you saying there's no (or very little) difference between 256 and 512 MB RDRAM here?Martin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing

Hey Rob!I'm using Windows ME with all the updates.I'm also running an Nvidia GeForce-2 Ultra with the 12.41 drivers.I usually run no background tasks (I use End It All), and I don' usually do internet or multiplayer. I do, however, use FSMeteo on many trips.Sincerely,Dennis D. Mullerthttp://www.aavirtual.com/images/aav205_banner.gif[/img]

Hey Martin!I'm not saying it wouldn't be advantageous, but I am saying that I have not noticed any major difference up to now. Michael J. suggested that I tweaked the virtual memory settings to see if I notice any difference. As soon as I figure out how to adjust virtual memory, and where, I'll let you know what my findings are.Sincerely,Dennis D. Mullerthttp://www.aavirtual.com/images/aav205_banner.gif[/img]

Hey Mike!I found the Virtual Memory settings by right clicking My Computer, and clicking on the Performance tab; however, this is what I get as options:Let Windows manage my virtual memoryLet me specify my virtual memory settings...and under that I get a Hard Disk choice box with: C:17014MB freeMinimumMaximumor disable virtual memoryI'm using Windows ME. Any ideas??Sincerely,Dennis D. Mullerthttp://www.aavirtual.com/images/aav205_banner.gif[/img]

Thanks Dennis. :-)As RDRAM is rather expensive I really don't want to double it unless it really makes a difference!Martin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing

I noticed a massive difference. Esp. on high res 2d views, switching to wing views, etc. Before, it would pause to load the bitmap every time I changed views. Now, it pauses the first time only...for the rest of the flight the views are instant.Also noticed much better frames in turns, etc.OH! and if you think you are not running backround tasks in ME because you use "enditall", click Start-->Run, type "msconfig" and have a look at just what all is really running.mp

I don't think you will see a difference in FS, but you should see a difference in running multiple applications at the same time. And unless your computer is writing to the hard drive in FS, I don't think virtual memory settings will help.Paulhttp://www.advdigitalmedia.com/sig.jpg

>Hey Rob! >>I'm using Windows ME with all the updates. >There's your problem, you're running ME (one of the worst OS MS ever put out). You should have spent that money upgrading to XP which is far more superior at handling RAM. I noticed an improvement when I upgraded to 512 from 128, but the biggest performance increase I ever noticed was was when I installed XP. Not talking FS2002 here, just the whole overall system.Tim

Yes Dennis, you found the right place. Pick "let me specify my virtual .." and then set minimum = maximum = 200 MB.Michael J.

I am running ME with 512M and also and have problems. What exactly do I have to do to upgrade to XP? I don't want to reformat and loose all my programs and settings. Is it an easy install? Thanks, regards, Bob.

>I don't think you will see a difference in FS, but you >should see a difference in running multiple applications at >the same time. I have to agree. I think the benefits as they affect FS of going from 256 meg of ram to 512 are way overstated. At least in the areas that can be measured. I can't say I saw a change going from 256 to 512. Athlon 1800+, Gigabyte GA7VRXP512 meg. Corsair PC2700, Win 98 SEVisiontek GF 3, Nvidia 30.82Soundblaster Live, IBM ATA100 HD

Hi Bob, when I upgrade to a new OS I opt to do a clean install, that way you know there's no problems. I never upgraded from ME so not sure. You're best bet is if you have a CD-RW to back up all your programs and settings, email etc.. I use a back up program called Dbackup and believe it or not, I can back up all my programs, settings and even all my addons in FS2002 on one CD-R. I can wipe out my entire hard drive and do a complete reinstall and have everything the way it was and FS2002 with all my add-ons in about 2 hours. The OS is so superb to Win9X I could never go back. Fast start up on programs and much better ram improvment. ME was a ripoff to the consumers imho.Tim