Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Ricardo,No. it's not a typo. ASV is a new product with many new features. Worth every penny of the upgrade price. I have AS2004 and opted to purchase the full version rather than the upgrade. Supporting the AS team in this way is the least I can do for a fine group of developers and beta testers.

I agree with Bigun, though I have not purchased anything yet as Paypal keeps erroring on me. ;) This is a new program with lots of new features.Tony

I concur with the original poster...I am not happy with the $28 upgrade price - in it's own right, ASV is definitely worth $38 for a first time buyer, but you guys have gotten greedy and you are punishing your previous customers for it.If it had been $20 - I doubt anyone would have complained.Devon.

Though everyone has a right to question pricing - in all fairness I think it should be pointed out that Active Environment in itself is comparable to Flight Environment - and that sells for about $25 alone. Add integration with activesky, and the many new features and personally I don' think $27 is too bad. At least it's not Euros! LOL

Here is the point: I already have Flight Environment, so, in paying for the upgrade, I would be paying for features I don't really need.I almost never complain about addon prices, but I bought the original ActiveSky for, what?, $25 + a $28 upgrade - that ups the ante considerably.ricardo

Apart from the blind leading the blind here...I state again that $20 would have been more than reasonable.Yes - I like activeskyYes - I think it's a great programNo - I don't think that I should have to pay out the same (close to) amount of money to upgrade to the new version.

It's free market. You think the price isn't fair - enjoy flying with old version.

>It's free market. You think the price isn't fair - enjoy>flying with old version.Good suggestion. This is supposed to be a whole new program, but, from a user's viewpoint, it is simply an improvement on real weather for FS9. Of all the commercial product upgrades (that I know of), only RealAir charged for an upgrade, and it was only a nominal amount. Considering all the download problems, I think it's best to wait a bit and get some objective viewpoints from the those that managed to get it installed - then we can all make a decision on the worth of this upgrade.Dale

>Here is the point: I already have Flight Environment, so, in>paying for the upgrade, I would be paying for features I don't>really need.>>I almost never complain about addon prices, but I bought the>original ActiveSky for, what?, $25 + a $28 upgrade - that ups>the ante considerably.>ricardoAlthough ASV is being offered as an "upgrade" for previous customers, it's much more than a mere upgrade. It's a completely new program.I've been using the original AS2004 for over one year, and have logged hundreds of hours flying with it. I feel I have received my original $25 worth many, many times over. What's more, during the lifetime of the product, Damian released well over a dozen "mini" upgrades to AS2004, which cost absolutely nothing. While some parts of those upgrades fixed bugs, other parts added new and improved features - again, at no cost.Considering the greatly expanded feature set of ASV, and especially considering the thousands of hours that Damian and Chris have undoubtedly spent writing the new software, creating new graphics etc, I certainly think $28 is more than fair.Jim Barrett

Wow not even 30 dollars to pay for a program that gives amazing weather detail!!! How cheap can you be? These people work hard for months and only charge a price that is cheaper than dinner and a movie and people can't wait to complain? I held out for ASV and purchased the full version because I knew the new one was coming out and I held out. But even if I paid for the old one, I would gladly pay a few bucks to thank these people and help with future products and upgrades. Besides, you aren't paying just for the program but for the countless hours of future upgrades as well.

If you don't like the price, then don't buy it. It's that simple.$28 is not a lot of cash, especially here in the UK where the

I just bought AS2004.5 about a Week ago! Yes! Seven days ago!!!Now, much has been made of the fact that there has been plenty of advance notice about ASV and I should have known better,etc.However, this asumes a lot, perhaps too much!Fact 1): I did not frequent the fourm and just registered today!. The first time I visited the AS site was last week when I purchased AS 2004.5. The ample advance notice argument does not really apply.Fact 2): I was not familar with "Active sky" at all and had to sift through a bewildering and confusing aray of info to try and determine what version I needed/wanted! I had just purchased "Flight 1 FE" and thought that ASV mainly duplicated what FE provided.Fact 3) Right up the the last minute you were still promoting old version and this just added to the confusion!!! What make matters worse, there is a still older (boxed) version is still being sold on some sites!I now do understand that ASV is a completely new program and you have every right to treat it as such.Money is not an issue with me.However, I sincerly believe that I have been taken advantage of and evidently, I'm not the only one.There really should have been some sort of comparison chart (even a very basic one), etc to help those uneducated in AS to help them determine what version they wanted. This is what most other software companies do.Finally, I have seen a lot in my 57 years and this one just doesn't sit right!

Thirty Dollars is nothing for the amount of work people are putting into these additions for Flight Simulator. I think additions such as ASV, PMDG, LVLD are very much under priced for the time and effort development takes. Expect to see these prices continue to increase over the next few years as more time is required to deliver what people have come to expect from such authors.

Hey, I purchased ActiveSky many moons ago when you had to have that damned WeatherX, or whatever it was, underlayer already. Then I bought 4.0 then upgrade to 4.5.Now I change computers and can't find the original underlying layer to reinstall 4.0 and 4.5 (because they were upgrades). So I use WideFS and purchase the ASV upgrade with the intent of installing it on that machine.What I'd really like to do is get a full install version of ASV so I could install it on BOTH machines (one's a laptop). You'd think after all the money I've shelled for this product (well over a $100 at this point), it would be a snap to ge done. Maybe it is? Anyone listening.Oh, and BTW, I also own Flight Environment, with which I'm very satisfied. I'll use both. I usually do purchase add-ons when they come out 'cause I like to take advantage of the technology. But I have to agree with Ricardo, particularly in my situation in which HiFi SImulations, I think, almost purposefully forces the user into --- the complicated install/upgrade requirements of it's predecessors and current pricing of its new product.tg272

>Thirty Dollars is nothing for the amount of work people are>putting into these additions for Flight Simulator. I think>additions such as ASV, PMDG, LVLD are very much under>priced for the time and effort development takes. >>Expect to see these prices continue to increase over the next>few years as more time is required to deliver what people have>come to expect from such authors.I don't think anyone is disputing the price or the amount of work involved in such programs.It is the marketing pratices which are in question.

Hi All,First of all thanks to all those that have shown their support here. It is much appreciated!! It has been a very long day so far so I hope I don't come off the wrong way here:1. ASV is a brand new product. It is not a patch, an update, a fix, or any other description, but that. There are new features never seen before in FS04. And there will be more features developed and delivered for FREE.2. We tried to be as fair as possible since day one. We first announced ASV on March 24, 2005 on our web page. We constantly updated this information as we went along.3. Our web page has full product information about every one of our products and we are always here at this forum and at other major FS forums.4. Yes, wxRE is still being sold by software publishers, because some users are still flying FS2002 AND wxRE works with other MS products like CF2.5. Yes, AS2004.5 is still being sold and will continue to be sold. There is no reason to stop selling it just because a new product is released. 6. If anyone feels that the upgrade price is too much that is OK and we are sorry you feel that way. We hope that you will continue to use and enjoy AS2004.5. We will contine to support all our programs and all our users. We wish that everyone gets their value from AS!Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Sales and Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_dev_team.jpg http://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_proud_supporter.jpg

Hi tg,Lets be honest here OK? You could have purchased all three of our products BRAND NEW and not spent over $100 and you don't own ASV yet. The most you have ever purchased is wxRE and AS2004.The full install of ASV is included in both purchased packages.We are not forcing anyone to do anything.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Sales and Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_dev_team.jpg http://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_proud_supporter.jpg

Here is more information:Thank you for contacting HiFi Simulation Software concerning AS2004.5 and ASV. As you may know, ASV was first announced (hinted at) back in December

>Hi All,>>First of all thanks to all those that have shown their support>here. It is much appreciated!! It has been a very long day so>far so I hope I don't come off the wrong way here:>>1. ASV is a brand new product. It is not a patch, an update, a>fix, or any other description, but that. There are new>features never seen before in FS04. And there will be more>features developed and delivered for FREE.>>2. We tried to be as fair as possible since day one. We first>announced ASV on March 24, 2005 on our web page. We constantly>updated this information as we went along.>>3. Our web page has full product information about every one>of our products and we are always here at this forum and at>other major FS forums.>>4. Yes, wxRE is still being sold by software publishers,>because some users are still flying FS2002 AND wxRE works with>other MS products like CF2.>>5. Yes, AS2004.5 is still being sold and will continue to be>sold. There is no reason to stop selling it just because a new>product is released. >>6. If anyone feels that the upgrade price is too much that is>OK and we are sorry you feel that way. We hope that you will>continue to use and enjoy AS2004.5. We will contine to support>all our programs and all our users. We wish that everyone gets>their value from AS!>>Hope this helps,>Jim>ActiveSky Sales and Support>http://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_dev_team.jpg>http://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_proud_supporter.jpgAS2004.5 is not even beng offered for sale now at the AS web Site!I explored every link!Is this an oversite or, do you truly not know what is going on?

You are going to enjoy this program on every flight. The selection of cloud textures not just at random, but based on wheather conditions is only one of the exciting new features.Service is second to none, as years of past history with both ActiveSky and FSSkyWorld have proved. Even this morning, not exactly a quiet one for Damian I'm sure, a problem I was having with the order was resolved quickly.No, it's not a 'cheap' upgrade, but I'm sure it will be well worth every penny, the exploring has only just begun.Best,Martijn

Ricardo,You are so right. No wonder you are disappointed. The same happened to me. Today I went to my car dealer to buy a second car for the weekend. Of course I wanted it to be full of the latest features and faster than the one I use during the week days. I expected it to be a lot cheaper than the car I bought half a year ago. After all, my second car doesn't need all the stuff I need during the week and why should I pay for what I don't need. Right? And now guess what, I did not get any discount whatsoever. The fact that my other car was from a different brand did not help either. Do you understand this?Funny world isn't it ;-)Henri

>this is a typo, right?>>Ricardo>>I tend to agree. I purchased 4.5 last fall and most of my use was spent beta testing and waiting for fixes. I already have Flight Environment and all of those textures are fine for me so I probably wont be spending any more money on ActiveSky. The only thing that might get me to bite would be if they found a solution for the vertical visibility issue (VV) present with 4.5. Anyone know if they did?