Guest bobsk8

I spent a great deal of time this evening test flying the Carenado Cessna-182RG with Active Sky 5 in two different configurations1. Auto Generate VAS Points in Wake and Turbulence Options checked on2 Auto Generate VAS points unchecked or off. Here are my results after many landings in the C 182 RGVAS checked off: All landings perfectly normal. Correct rate of sink, predictable landing pattern altitudes ,rate of sink normal .... no problem A pleasure to fly this aircraft...... :)VAS checked on.. Back to the Goodyear Blimp type of approach. I tried landing at a runway in South Florida, 36 R at North Perry airport. This is a place I landed many times when I lived there. My speed and altitude on short final was 65 knots , 300 feet AGL about 2/3 mile from runway threshold, Flaps 30, gear down, power at idle , prop full in.. I completely sailed over the 3,000 foot runway at about 175 feet, kept going , and finally touched down and stopped 1 mile from the runway threshold, in between some houses..... :)I am leaving VAS off for the time being, until this get's resolved.

To add further support for this issue, as i have mentioned in another post, I too experience this phenomena, on multiple machines with ASV installed.Might have a bit of time coming up later this week to test out what causes the issue, so based on the above conditions if the Hifi guys could possibly give a few ideas as to what to test by PM or on the forum here, maybe it could be traced to a more specific source.Rgds,Geoffrey Balean YSCBVirgin Blue Virtual - VOZ9211VATSIM Student Controller (S3)Student Pilothttp://www.voz.ozflight.com.au/images/pmdgforumsignature.png

Another cosmetic detail I noticed regarding the 'Auto-Generate VAS points' parameter - shouldn't the 'Auto VAS frequency (%)' box be greyed out when the Auto-Generate parameter is not checked?

Richard Åsberg

Chimming in with the same results as mentioned by Bob and others. I'm leaving 'Auto Generate VAS Points' turned off as well until this problem get's resolve.I'm also seeing some other annoyances that I mentioned in another thread in the General Forms Area. Here's an excerpt:"The problem with what ASV gave us is how it's simulated. It's hard as heck to trim the aircraft and fly straight and level now. You'll get a down draft that'll bounce the aircraft up and then push it down and vise versa. ASV makes updrafts seem very mechanical... I can't quite put my finger on it but it's not exactly realistic...To better elaborate on this, when you come in for a landing you'll get this down draft that'll push the plane down on your approach, then you'll sink all of a sudden but without the nose dropping (a pilot in question already handles this downward wind which one really doesn't notice because their already fighting the planes downward momentum as they approach the runway. The updraft 'that always follows' comes on that critical stage where you find you

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Flying the SF-260 yesterday and trying to land a kocf, the plane would not descend to the runway. It kept floating and floating until the airspeed dropped enough to create a stall and the the plane dropped to the runway causing the landing gear to collapse.This is the first time I had anything like this happen. It has never happened with ver. 4.5.Another problem with ASV is that the screen keeps closing to the desktop, FS is still running and when I click on FS sim on the taskbar the screen comes back on.Arnold

Hi ,"This is the first time I had anything like this happen. It has never happened with ver. 4.5."There was never VAS in As 4.5, with the update we will add controls to the VAS for users taste. "Another problem with ASV is that the screen keeps closing to the desktop, FS is still running and when I click on FS sim on the taskbar the screen comes back on."I don't understand. You can minimizs AS or keep it normal.ThanksChris WillisHiFi Simulation Software Team Developerhttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_dev_team.jpg http://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_proud_supporter.jpg

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

** Bump **

FS2020 

Hi Bob,1. We know it's an issue. Since Sunday2. We know the cause. VAS3. We know the temporary fix. Turn Off Auto Generate VAS PointsMy intent was to determine the reason for the bump. It was not made to argue, put down, ignore, or sweep over anything. I now realize that the tone of my post was wrong and it will go away. We will work this out ASAP and post a SU as soon as it is ready. None of this was meant to upset anyone.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Sales and Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_dev_team.jpg http://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_proud_supporter.jpg

Guest bobsk8

>Hi,>>Why the bump?>>We know it's an issue.>We know the cause.>We know the temporary fix.>We know Damian is adding a new addition to his family this>week.>We know he will be back and working on the next Service>Release.>Now we know that Damian HAS added a new member to his family.>>Hope this helps,>Jim>ActiveSky Sales and Support>http://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_dev_team.jpg>http://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_proud_supporter.jpgJim,When I first posted this issue, at the beginning of this thread, your reply had the "tone" of " What are you talking about, we Beta tested this thing, and had no problems....? Then post after post from different people, stating that they were having the same exact problem that I was having, appeared both on this forum ,and on several others. Now, where in this entire thread that we are on now, does anyone from Active Sky make a statement like" "We know it's an issue.We know the cause.We know the temporary fix.We know Damian is adding a new addition to his family this week.We know he will be back and working on the next Service Release.Now we know that Damian HAS added a new member to his family." ....as you just did, in your objection to the "bump". Please point it out, where AS says.. " Yes this is a definite problem and we are working on it, because maybe I missed it and I would really like to read it. If you can't find a statment on this thread , prior to the "bump" , that makes that statement or something similar to it, then that is most probably the reason for the bump, because it appeared to more than a few of us, that Active Sky has had the complaint pretty much on " Ignore". The "bumper" probably only wanted to remind everyone of the still unresolved issue.

Guest bobsk8

I have been complaing about a new Carenado C-182 RG for about a week, and even tweaked the Aircraft.cfg putting in alot more drag and less lift on the flaps to get it to land. Many other owners of this same aircraft were having no problems at all , which made no sense. Carenado came out with a patch for the aircraft for several fixes, today. The aircraft flew much better after the patch was installed as far as landing, but 3 times today with ASV on, it exhibited the same strange tendency to float forever, and I mean forever in the flare. I was a 300 feet at Tampa Intl 1/2 mile out, 65 knots , 30 degrees flaps and it took almost 4,000 feet for it to settle to the runway . Other pilots with different aircraft are having the same effect, one person commenting that it is like ground effect "gone wild" . Is there anyway to make this not happen, short of turning Vertical Air simulation off?

Thanks Jim... We hadn't heard any word from AS that they first were acknowledging the problem and second that they were working on a fix. I guess Bob said it best for me... I hope the post that stated AS was going to reduce the effect of 'Auto Generate VAS Points' is not the only thing they do. We need variety in the Up/Down draft simulation that would better space out the bumpiness and base it on real world conditions. Another thing that would be nice is if the different ways these wind patterns hit the aircraft have more variety.

FS2020 

Hi All,Quite honestly I lost track of where and what I posted. There are a number of threads about this and I couldn't keep track. Damian will be gone for a few days, as his baby boy did enter the world Tuesday morning. So we all need to let him take care of this first and then we'll get on this.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Sales and Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_dev_team.jpg http://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_proud_supporter.jpg

Well congratulations to Damian!!! :-scatter This is great news indeed. Well just keep 'Auto Generate VAS Points' clicked off for the next six monts... :-cool

FS2020 

Hi all,Thanks for the congrats! I'll post a pic or two soon!6 months.. lol..Yes there have been a few threads about all this and some confusion as to HiFi's official "stance"...Basically, the problem of "floating down the runway" due to an auto-thermal with too much vertical strength at surface levels is something we DID experience in early betas but fixed and confirmed it.. so as to why this cropped up now is a bit of a mistery but we'll get it figure out and solved very soon.. much quicker than 6 months :) Actually interim unoffical SU2 is due this weekend assuming no major problems... (with this and few other fixes).We are also working on a comprehensive update (as Jim and Chris have mentioned over the past few days) that will add some new graphics content, new ASV functionality and new options... conerning auto VAS-point generation, we will have some more configurable controls and limits (such as max updraft rate, max downdraft rate, min elevation, etc). I feel the SU2 interim update will solve most the issues experienced thus far but the full update will go quite a bit further.As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, this is only our first crack at this, and things will only get better :) We appreciate all the input on this and look forward to ever-increasing realism in VAS and many other areas of wx simulation!Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies