Sign in to follow this  
CraigC

Hey Tom, you grumpy old phart....

Whats with the "no pics" rule all about? I,m sorry to have been among those that broke the 700 pix rule though I do host the pics on my own $ite, I didn't even give it a thought as this is/has been home, and I'm just comfy posting pics now and then here as I dont g"et out" much to the other forums just the same, This is the premier Flightsim news and forum site on the web and must have rules, but wingless creepers what happen? please reconsider...please?You O'le Mule! :-eek

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

People send us email complaining about the speed of the forums. Come to find out later today that there was a thread that had 25+ images in it and all hosted on our server AND ALL OF THEM over 700 pixels wide!!! NO WONDER the dang forums are dragging. Okay, so I probably over reacted ("as usual", I am sure some of the "icons" will shout)... Shots of the sims belong in the screen shot forum (no greater than 700 pixels wide and no more than 5 per post PLEASE!!!!), and as for images here, well, if they help a person understand a technical issue, or help in some other way related to working the sim or your system, okay. But dang it... ah, enough said.

Thanks Tom, I will comply. I will comply.I will comply. I will comply.I will comply. I will comply.I will comply. I will comply.I will comply. I will comply.Can I go play now? :)And now I would like to demonstrate the therory of good screen shots, in these next 50 shots notice how the...Just kidding! Ok, Ok, I'm going....

Paul,There are still a huge number users in dial-up connections (and who have no practical choice in the matter) and many of them do not have large monitors as well. Even with 700 sized pictures, it still takes a while to load them, but it is far better than trying to load larger images. As you are well aware, the image size increases exponentially with image width, and anything much bigger than 700 really taxes a dial-up connection.

If large pics are hosted on our own personal site how do they slow the forum down?

errr, though there is fiber-optic running all over the place here I'm on a dial-up connection me self so I understand image size just fine, but thanks Just the same. :)A Wize man said once:It takes a very big man to admit when he is wrong, and I am not a very big man.

<< Shots of the sims belong in the screen shot forum (no greater than 700 pixels wide and no more than 5 per post PLEASE!!!!), and as for images here, well, if they help a person understand a technical issue, or help in some other way related to working the sim or your system, okay. >>Sounds like a reasonable compromise. The forums are remarkably faster. Thank you. R-

I think the pictures Tom is referring to were, in fact, hosted on the avsim servers.

Hi Tom,any limit is good! besides the cosmetic display of images larger than 700 pixels wide, isn't it a matter of file size rather than width? I mean a blue sky with an aircraft in the middle compressed in JPG takes less space at 1280x1024 than a close up of a very complex panel with lots of tiny details compressed in JPG at 700 pixels wide. In that respect, isn't it easier for the forum system to automatically reject any picture attached to a post if the picture is greater than 125K and/or the cummulative size of the pictures attached is over 625K?Hope this helps!

As a former extremely slow dial up connector -can't you just stop the picture downloading and move on if you aren't interested in the picture?I used to do that all the time, and still do with cable/dsl if I find the image is something I am not interested in.http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/Geofdog2.jpg

>As a former extremely slow dial up connector -can't you just >stop the picture downloading and move on if you aren't >interested in the picture? >I used to do that all the time, and still do with cable/dsl >if I find the image is something I am not interested in. Yes Geof, you usually can, although some browsers will try to load the images before or at the same time as the text so if you halt the transmission, you may stop the thread in the middle also. Depends on the browser. Second, not everyone that can do that, will do that. They want to download the images to see them also, and thus, the forum still gets tied up trying to download the huge threads to all the people hitting the thread at the same time. This is obviously worse in the screenshot forum and part of why we have had so many strict rules over there. People will have to be conscience of the fact the this forum, being so busy, could become part of the performance problem also if not used wisely.

Would be "oh so nice" if the forums were a little more user configurable. I realize the forum software is something off the rack, but the ability to configure whether images are downloaded or not on a per user basis would be nice. Also the ability to ban/plonk users on a personal/individual basis would be nice. These web forums have kind of taken over the usenet roll, though I still go to usenet a lot. To have newsreader style functionality seems logical, though probably a dream.Just my .02 Eric

I agree with most of what you say, Eric. The usenet does allow for a much more individually configured setup. The tradeoff is usually a lot less easy central admin control, which is why we wanted this forum software to begin with. As I'm sure many have seen us state these forums are not usenet. Usenet has a way of becoming a free for all sometimes. If you can handle it, that's great, but we knew it wasn't for us at AVSIM. But then, you and I know that text communication was exactly what usenet was designed for, it should do it well. :-)Secondly, as more and more goes to the internet, most people prefer the easy learning path that internet based forum programs provide over the usenet. Usenet isn't that bad, but it takes a little while to learn all the ropes. As the programs get better and more people get high-speed connections, these kind of forums will work better.

Right. . . AND Thats slowing down that person's computer, NOT the forum. Dial-Up is 10 yrs ago, Broadband is available in many forms, and ARE available pretty much anywhere. Time to move on.

>Right. . . AND Thats slowing down that person's computer, >NOT the forum. Dial-Up is 10 yrs ago, Broadband is >available in many forms, and ARE available pretty much >anywhere. Time to move on. Wrong Josh, it affects how fast the forums can work also. It is a good thing you aren't running our website since the last stat I saw showed about 30% or more people still on dialup. As far as they are concerned, you'd leave them hanging with your take on website management. We feel it is still important not to sacrifice those that don't have the budget or means to get on a high-speed in order to appease some broadband users.

Josh,I don't mean to step on your line, but your statement "..Broadband is available in many forms, and ARE available pretty much anywhere. Time to move on." is simply not true. I am stuck with a dialup modem (56K) and I've been told that it will be 2 or 3 more years before anything other than dialup will be available where I live, not to mention that a large number of other internet users, particularly those living in some countries other than the United States or Canada, don't have the option of anything other than dialup either. When individuals load up 10 or more screenshots, it takes as much as 5 or more minutes sometimes for them upload on my system (with each jpg at 100Kb it requires 4:30 minutes to download 10 images, then you've got those out of control signatures that several people were using in the past, well you get my point). Bear!

"Time to move on" - I despair. Despite the WWW the human race still has very little idea of how things are outside our own sphere of experience.PH

Josh,Bear is quite right. If you lived where I live, you would be lucky to ever get broadband. I have enquired many times over the last 12 months. It is simply not available practically speaking. End of story. There is no cable, no ADSL, no nothing. The only option is to install a satellite dish that will enable satellite download and dial-up upload. At a probable cost of nearly half my yearly income to do this, I have to pass up on that offer. btw, I don't live that far way from the Sydney CBD in Australia and I am classified as a Sydney customer, not a country customer.

Josh, I ordered broadband a 2 weeks ago (planned delivery next month).That was 2 DAYS after availability here was first announced.And I live in the middle of a city with over 160000 people, growing by 5000+ a year.A lot of people in this country still don't even have cable TV, some have no sewer system or gas for heating (having to rely on tanks in the ground for sewage and gas or oil).If you think that's ancient, my parents had neither gas, sewers or cable TV until less than 10 years ago. They didn't have cable until they moved to another town last year (and their old house still doesn't have it). That old house you can't run the washing machine and the oven at the same time because the electricity hookup cannot deliver enough power...

Tom, could you make a statement whether that is 5 per message or 5 per thread?People are posting threads with dozens of pictures, just replying to their own original post endlessly with 5 pictures in each message to get around the restrictions.Still takes ages to download (and most of those threads time out on dialup connections).

>>Broadband is available in many forms, and ARE available pretty much anywhere.<100MB (Thunder Bay from Flight Ontario). You just have to be patient and, arguably, it does encourage you to appreciate the work of the authors rather more than perhaps faster d/l speeds would.So, don't give up on your trusty 56K modems just yet. Wait until the likes of BT get their act together and smarten up their technology. By then it might be cheaper as the competition intensifies :-rollMike :-wave

"Hey Tom, you grumpy old phart....",,,,,,, You O'le Mule! Reckon I've seen it all now,,, you should write a book onpolitical correctness, or perhaps become a diplomat :-lol :-loloh, and whose site is this anyway.Steve :-)