Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DescendDescend

4870x2 and GTX8800 comparison

First of all thanks to the guys who contributed to the solution of my problems in these posts:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...sg_id=922&page=http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...id=42905&page=2and maybe an answer to this one:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=42936&page=The BEX crashes are without doubt caused by DEP.My other driver related problems were solved by reducing the FSB and hence overclock from 4.06 to 4.03 Ghz. The main culprit here is the memory which I don

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Howard,Seems ATI haven't learned the lessons from their ill-fated 3870X2. :-( Whilst I accept the ATI has superior IQ the most important thing with FS is fps and the ATI just can't hack it in heavy cloud.I'm lucky the 8800GTX was still around when I decided to sell my 3870x2. I paid around half what the ATI cost me. :-)The 8800GTX is something of a classic as far as FS is concerned.Cheers,

I very heavy scenarios (and I mean 100% MyTrafficX AI at a major airport), I usually switch FPS to unlimited. The reason? In this scenario, setting the limit reduces my average frames. For instance, I might see 20fps unlimited. If I switch to locked at 20fps, the average rate dips to 15fps. That has lead me to conclude that the fps lock may not be so effective in heavy AI scenarios.If you feel like running the comparisons again, it would be interesting to see the results against FPS unlocked.Simon

>Whilst I accept the ATI has superior IQ the most important>thing with FS is fps The sad thing is the best you

Hi,This is scary...I ordered my BFG 8800GTX in january 2007. Since then, neither nVIDIA or ATI have been able to produce a card that's faster in FSX, with the exception of the 8800 Ultra. No wonder that many tests with new cards doesn't include any 8800GTX or Ultra. embarrassing.Ulf BCore2Duo X6800 3.3GHz4GB RAM Corsair XMS2-8500C5BFG 8800GTX, Creative SB X-FiFSX Acc/SP2, Vista 32

>Since then, neither nVIDIA or ATI have been able to produce a>card that's faster in FSX, Nvidia did produce a card that performs slightly better; it

>>Since then, neither nVIDIA or ATI have been able to produce>a>>card that's faster in FSX, >>Nvidia did produce a card that performs slightly better; it

Ulf,You don't need to spend more of your hard earned money on your system. If you want to triple your frame rates in FS do what I did... switch back to FS9. ;-)I just can't get excited about FSX especially when the system I've bought still can't produce smooth performance on finals into large airports like EGLL. In FS9 it takes it in its stride.FSX needs hardware that hasn't even been produced yet. 5GHz CPUs and 2666FSB. Three years hence will be the time - just when people are tearing their hair out with performance of FSXI on such a system. ;-)Cheers,

I thought with the 4870 series, ATI/AMD was supposed to have rectified whatever it was with the 3870's that killed fps with clouds? I guess not. Then again, as was said, driver maturity could be an issue here.What feature was it in these cards that was responsible? Was it mem bandwidth or something? Was it something with the way they handle textures in memory? I think Nick Needham posted about this, what was the consensus?RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

>Ulf,>>You don't need to spend more of your hard earned money on your>system. If you want to triple your frame rates in FS do what I>did... switch back to FS9. ;-)>>I just can't get excited about FSX especially when the system>I've bought still can't produce smooth performance on finals>into large airports like EGLL. In FS9 it takes it in its>stride.>>FSX needs hardware that hasn't even been produced yet. 5GHz>CPUs and 2666FSB. Three years hence will be the time - just>when people are tearing their hair out with performance of>FSXI on such a system. ;-)>>Cheers,Ray, how true, how true.I got hit by the 1772 error and struggled with this problem for hours. Finally I installed FS9. What a difference :-) But I really enjoy FSX and when I got the installation problem solved, I uninstalled FS9 after a couple of weeks.I mostly fly VFR and enjoy FSX a lot. The new Carenado Stationair with floats is going for a flight along the Norwegian coast during next weekend.The goal can't be to run FSX with maxed out sliders. The goal must be balance the sliders and enjoy FSX as it is.Ulf BCore2Duo X6800 3.3GHz4GB RAM Corsair XMS2-8500C5BFG 8800GTX, Creative SB X-FiFSX Acc/SP2, Vista 32

Hi Ulf,<>In that case you need to stay with FSX as it's a lot better under VFR than FS9. But for high and fast flying FS9 is still the one.Have fun with those sliders! :-)

Bam-Shazaam- Ok you got 10 more FPS!Whatcha going to do?Thats right.....Move a slider a little higher....Raise that res and those clouds just a little.Need a few more cars,some trees and a just a tinnie tiny bit of airline ai.Crap:-( Now I am only getting 15 fps.Hmmmmmmm-Need to find a new card,faster machine,more ram........Repeat till broke,skip 4 years.

hi Rhett,in the article that i read (on Toms hardware site I believe) the wording was something along these lines...the 3000 series cards had a serious design flaw called "low texture fill-rate". according to ATI this issue was addressed by doubling the no. of texture units from 16-32 with the 4000 series cards. i just recently purchased a Visiontek 4870 (non X2) and i'm seeing similar results with the 4870 (in FSX) as i was seeing with the 3870 X2. maybe not quite as bad but not that much of an improvement imho. so much for the issue being addressed.imho, ATI hasn't released a great performing card since the X1950 XTX. the reason i say that is because the X1950 XTX was what i was using b4 i got the 3870 X2. happy flyin, FM

>Bam-Shazaam- Ok you got 10 more FPS!>Whatcha going to do?>Thats right.....>Move a slider a little higher....>Raise that res and those clouds just a little.>Need a few more cars,some trees and a just a tinnie tiny bit>of airline ai.>Crap:-( Now I am only getting 15 fps.>Hmmmmmmm->>Need to find a new card,faster machine,more ram........>Repeat till broke,skip 4 years.>Exactly,I've been running FSX with the sliders at the same position for a long time. I have a couple of saved configs: One for VFR flying over less rural areas and one for IFR flying over urban areas. No problem with fps.The only time I change these settings is when I want to confirm that some guy's advice on a tweak really doesn't work.Ulf BCore2Duo X6800 3.3GHz4GB RAM Corsair XMS2-8500C5BFG 8800GTX, Creative SB X-FiFSX Acc/SP2, Vista 32

That is very true, but alternatively:1)Upgrade machine.2)What settings are the minimum I need for FSX to look good to me?3)Oh dear, my machine will only do 7-11 fps. 3)Upgrade machine.4)13-20 fps. That's much better.5)What does that nice new card do..........

After going through a lot of frustration with cloud issues on the 3870 the 4870 has cured my problems, max AA and AF with Edge detect and no Stutters in heavy weather. One thing to note, I had been on the 8.7 drivers and tried the 8.8 last night and it could be in my head but I am goin to revert back to the 8.7.Rob

Please tell us "all" your Catalyst settings and how you got aa/af to work.Adaptive aa on fff/aa filter settings,Catalyst settings ect ect.What is your procedure forsaving/activating a profile.ALOT of us cannot get aa/af.From best I can tell, FSX is running the aa/af and does what it wants.I can make changes,acvtivate profiles,try to force it on and turn it off in game,does not matter.I get some but again, I think the catalyst settings do little if anything.Are you sp1,sp2 Accel? XP Vista?

>>Another recent FSX benchmark shows 8800 series performing>better than GTX 280 and 3870 X2!That should surprise no one, regarding the 3870x2.In FSX, a 3870x2 gives nice image quality (in my opinion) but it cannot match the 8800GTX in terms of performance.The GTX280 is another matter. A person would like to think that a GTX280 or ATI 4-series could outperform a card that is 1.5 years old in our sim!RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

>The 8800 GTX>which uses a less powerful GPU and has a slightly less memory>does not perform better than the GTX 280 in FSX.>This is what the video card industry would like us to believe...;-)

>This is what the video card industry would like us to>believe...The video card industry doesn

I would like to believe that 280 GTX performs better in FSX than 8800 GTX if someone shows an experimental proof - benchmark - that can support this statement.