Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

buzzbee

3 Months and counting

Until the 2009 Flight Sim Round-the-world race. Over at Sim-Outhouse they are already starting their preparations. I am starting to get in RTW mode myself. How is everyone else doing? Is anyone ready to do some flying? It would be nice to bring some new participants into the fold early this year. Last year it seemed like we had some late joiners.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hey buzz. I've been keeping one eye on the opposition as well and thinking the same thing. My bro and I have been doing some online flying recently, although not specifically race flying, and I agree its maybe time to see who's about and if there's any new blood wanting to take the plunge.HarvProud member of Avsim Round the World Race Team

Hi Buzz , I`ve been flying offline all year , getting more aquainted with FSX . I followed Sim-outhouses Dr House meet in Idaho . What a great Challenge , highly entertaining trying to get the real fast race birds into those mountain runways :( . The guys at sim-outhouse certainly raised the standards this year and i think we need to get prepared and invite , recruit and advise new blood much earlier this year . Plus it would be great to get the regulars together "blow the cobwebs off " and get some fun practise in , The Dr House challenge was a great idea and we should organise something similar in the mountains for a little practise and a get together :) I`m ready Bry Team Avsim

I'm in, but I haven't been flying much lately. I've been entertaining my megalomaniac side with Rise of Nations for a change of pace. Chewing gum for the mind, I guess. }(

I guess I was one of the late new commers last year.I am ready this year too.Been doing some flying with at SOH, actually a nice bunch of guys. That has given me a lot of practice.Both of the competition teams have allready started practicing.We need too unless we want to be behind (and we don't).I am moving to a new home 5 km away during the next 3 weeks, so I will not be online too much, but after that I will be ready.Lets have a lot of fun this year too.Jock

Greetings Folks,I'm still around and will be ready by race time. I finally decided to go exclusively with FSX. I removed my FS9 several months ago so my hanger is not quite as diverse as prior years but I'm sure I can find something that works. I think starting our recruiting now is a good idea. The AVSIM formums seem pretty quiet these days. Not sure what that bodes for getting new pilots. I have been spending a lot of sim time down under in Orbix FTX land. I've put up a stealth recuiting post on the screenshots forum here:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...id=276960&page=

Hey Guys,It's Vince (Used to post under Spazzz)I'm available and ready for anything you guys want. If you want to get in contact with me off forums to arrange some practice sessions my public email address is vmnovak@gmail.com

Just starting to get things in gear for RTW practice myself... :)I just need to get a new host for the private forums (which I'm sure won't be a problem), and I'll get that all set back up soon...

>I just added a little "news" on the subject. See the front>page for today. :)Thanks Tom!

Hello every one I might be interested in doing this. What is involved?I have done something similar to this before.I have both FSX and FS2004I have flown for several virtual air lines the last one was Livewire. I was a hub manager and chief pilot there.I even flew in BOTA (BATTLE OF THE AIRLINES) once.Regards,Gary BuskaSenior Library Manager / Forum ModeratorAVSIM Online!www.avsim.com

Hi Gary , Welcome to the Forum . A very good source for information can be found here http://www.fsrtwrace.com/index.htm and all the guys here will be more than happy to help you with the many questions I`m sure you have ;) . It is a fantastic and fun Event , Bry Team Avsim

I checked out the site you listed and it looks like fun. I must warn though I can not fly helicopters at all.I also noticed that I will have to reinstall the vintage aircraft as I do not use them normally, but that will be no problem. Now for the questions.1) Is this a online race?2) How do they keep track of what you do during each leg.3) I run behind a router so I am unable to hosts online flights?I also might have to open ports in order to connect if so I will need to know which ones.Gary Buska

Hi Gary,I'll try to answer your questions and invite other team members to jump in with corrections.1) Is this a online race?You do not have to sim online to participate. Tracking of legs is done in this forum. See the link below to see the post of baton legs from last years race:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...g_id=6062&page=Most race participants prefer to fly online by connecting to an FSHost server and a Teamspeak server. This allows realtime text and spoken communication with team members. These servers have not been setup for this years race and practice but should be up by the new year.The pilot reports PIREPs thread from last year will give you a flavor of the race:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...g_id=5712&page=2) How do they keep track of what you do during each leg.The primary tracking tool is the Duenna. It is a great little utility that keeps track of your legs, adherance to some of the core race rules, and maps the progress in Google Maps. You can get it here:http://johannesmueller.com/fs/web/duenna/At the conclusion of a successful leg you post your Duenna graphic and text file in your baton forum thread.3) I run behind a router so I am unable to hosts online flights?You should be able to participate. There are folks on the team who know more about networking than myself. They will be able to provide details on setting up your network hardware and ports and such once we have setup the FSHost site for this years race. Don't worry about the Helocopters. There are usually only a couple of legs in each race where we have to use them and we try to get are experienced rotary pilots lined up for those legs. Welcome to the AVISIM race team.Jeff Williams (Team AVSIM RTW race veteran)

Hello I used something like this when I flew in BOTA(battle of the airlines)I have all ready downloaded the duenna. I am having a few minor problems reinstalling the vintage air craft though. It has been a while since I had looked at the game.cab files on the install cd'sI thought the planes were together but they are not so it may take me some time to download all of the parts.I have to admit though I hope the duenna is a better program than the one we used in BOTA as that program gave me nothing but head aches.I was unable to finish the race as the program kept telling me I was slewing when I was not. No matter what I did it always gave me some kind of problem. The managers of the race could not figure it out and told me that I must be cheating somehow as others were not having this problem. Needles to say I did not like them calling me a liar and I withdrew from the race. But not until I read them the riot act, if you know what I mean. They finely wound up apologizing as they soon discovered a flaw in the one leg. But that was not found until the end of the race. They did give me credit for finishing the race stating it was a technical problem. If you need to reach me you can find me here on the forum or at AVSIM as I am both a library manager and a Forum moderator.gbuska@avsim.comGary BuskaSenior Library Manager / Forum Moderatorwww.avsim.comAVSIM ONLINE

StoneCold,I have some webserver space at my VA I'd be happy to set you up with if you need it. Let me know.

Thanks, I'll let you know if I need it... The host I'm looking at, a colocated server owned by an IRC friend of mine, is subject to a monthly traffic limit so that might be a deciding factor if we think the forum would use too much bandwidth above what is already used on that server. If we want shoutcast broadcasting again of the teamspeak channel, I'll also need to find a separate host for that, as that would definitely use too much bandwidth for this host...

I think I have everything set I have installed the software and think I have the needed aircraft. I saw a mention of team speak will I need that as well. I am looking forward to this event as it sounds like it will be fun. Gary BuskaSenior Library Manager / Forum Moderatorwww.avsim.comAVSIM ONLINE :-)

Hi everyone!I'll be around for this race as well :)Haven't been flying much since February though, so I might be a "little" rusty. I will make sure to get a lot of practice before the race, just need to find the time to do it :DI might be able to host the TeamSpeak server if that's needed, just let me know.Klas

GarySounds good. I have a little test server up and running. When you get your teamspeak installed let me know and we can set up a little test flight.I am located in Denver, CO MST and am usually on in the evening, although Bry and Harv found my server with fshost spy and have been utilizing it.

I have team speak now and will set it up shortly I have to locate my mike I have not used it in a while. I am in Jacksonville, Florida EST.I run behind a router and I might have to open ports not sure though. My schedule is kind of crazy it might be the weekend before I am ready. I will let you know My work hours are Monday through Friday 8:45AM - 4:45PM EST I am usually home around 5:00 by the time I unwind and eat I am at my computer around 6:30 or 7:00

Hi guysSeems like I will have to de-orbit from SSM 2007, and fly along at subsonic speeds instead of hitting the atmosphere at MACH 23+It's all Alex' (sfoofficer) fault, it was him who sent me the nice pictures from Space Shuttle Simulator 2007.Anyway, I'll get my act together and get some air under my wings again. It will be my privilege and pleasure flying with you gentlemen!!!BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCHPS: Please see my concerns over Hamachi in another thread!

Hey All,I got the message about us gettin together again - this time looks like we got things gettin off to a good start already ! I need to check the new Duenna out an such; also, I plan on using FS9 for now; I have FSX; tried it once it is a pretty awesome Sim, but the models; I dunno - I cant view properly yet (I am gonna program my Saitek for the views which I so desperately need.Gary, I flew BOTA once too - that race drove me crazy but flying on the moon and in orbit was interesting; I probly never fly that again - too much for me !I will check out your TS, and any other posts, and I should be ready later this week; I got most of my personal issues resolved finally.See ya all in the skies...WF