Sign in to follow this  
Guest melevine

What do you do in "Real Life"..when you aren't simming?

I'm 41 years old, half British, half Maltese. I live in Warsaw, Poland where I've lived since 1994. I'm an English teacher working mainly with lawyers and bankers.My first sim was an Apache helicopter on a Sinclair Spectrum some time in the 1980s. My first real flight was as a passenger in a British Caledonian Bristol Britania from Gatwick to Malta in the early 1970s.Now that the weather's nice again I'll be spending more time out on my bike than in front of the computer screen, but once winter returns I'll be flying again. And yes, it drives the girlfriend crazy :-) http://online.vatsimindicators.net/916312/3.png

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Wow :Dlong postI am 17, student and have being simming since fs98. Love it

I'm 26, living in Brisbane, Australia. I moved here 9.5 years ago from Christchurch, New Zealand. I'm currently working as an onsite manager of a motel. My aim is to become a LAME within the next few years.I've been flightsimming since FS98 and repainting since FS2000. Since a child I've had a fascination with aircraft and flightsim is a great hobby to have. I also build scale model aircraft (well, used to before I discovered repainting). I've also got into the hobby of photographing aircraft in recent months. Its great fun and a good way to get a tan :-hah

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

Guest stevehow

Hi Been playing Drums for getting on 30yrs...}( flightsimming since FS1..i think on the commodore64..or was it 2...so long ago..found it a very good way to calm down ..after playing drums like ANIMAL from the Muppets for Two hours:-mad :-mad :-mad :-fume .. best wishes steve

Guest B52Drivr

Scott,Well, having been in the Porsche race and restoration business for 20 years before I retired, I can tell you that you guys who make the Nascar bodies are true craftsman, as the craft of bending metal in this country is all but a lost art. Besides, I know it has to bug you to see your hard work get 'crumpled' all the time.A good man with an English wheel can really create metal sculpture for automobiles. Carry on Sir!Best,Clay http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...ers/Dopke01.jpgClayton T. Dopke (Clay)Major, USAF (retired)"Drac"

Hi All,What a wonderful topic comparing the insights we have just read to the people we imagined they were.I live in Cape Town and am 51 years old.I first got involved with computers at university where they had an "Ultra High Tech" mainframe called an IBM 360 which we students had to program in FORTRAN using cardboard punch cards. (Were talking 1971 here!) And of course your colleague would try and change the order of your shoe-box ful of cards while you weren't looking!I then got hold of a Sinclair ZX81 and started programming "games" with 16k RAM!While in the computer hardware business I first came across Flight Simulator when it still came out on a single Floppy disk and it was used to test out the compatibility of non IBM pc's (in the mid 1980's). FS was known in the trade as a hardware-killer because it just wouldn't run on "non-standard" equipment. If it ran on the machine you had just assembled, you could sell the machine with confidence.I'm still involved in PC sales and support and run a small guest-house on the side. I have a wife and 2 grown-up childrenTried to get a PPL but put it off after a while because of the high cost. Simming is definitely cheaper!Greetings to allDave BritziusP.S. I'm still trying to reach the ultimate FS goal of consistent perfect landings ! one day... one day...

Nice thread! It's really nice to see the wide range of ages and activities of those joined by a common interest.I recently turned 65 (last week), I am Portuguese, married with two sons. I am a telecommunications engineer, working in the development of military systems, and also teach applied electronics in an enginnering school.My interest in aviation comes from an early age. My interest in flightsimming started when a former WWII RAF aviator, working as a consultant with the University of Newcastle (UK), showed me his new toy: the FS 5.0.Needless to say that in that same afternoon I went to the local shopping mall and bought myself a copy of FS5.0 and a joystick!All the best for you all.

I am 45 years old, work for one of the big Six Mgt consulting firm.Its cause of Fsim, I took up flying. PP-ASEL, PP-AMEL, Tailwheel. I enjoy fsim more after flying for real. It shows how good these sims are.Recently..I had to fly to Japan on work (commercial ofcoruse). I took a Joystick along with my Laptop. ;)

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest Philip Olson

Well I finally have a minute and can tell you what you want to know. I am 38 and just turned a couple of days ago so I am just learning how to be 38 :-lol I have done many, many thigs so I will try to keep this short. After a recent layoff I decided to devote all of my time into a "part time" computer company I started, I build and fix computers for people as well as everything in between. I have also started to teach classes to seniors about computers. I have also been:An accountant for an office supply company.A systems administrator for an office supply company.An accountant for an international semiconductor company.An accountant for a drywall supply company.An accountant for an international polymer corporation.A customer service manager for a mall management company.Various duties with a design firm including writing accounting software to driving a truck.I also have a few other side businesses that I run but they do not take that much of my time. Well that about sums things up I guess.Philip Olsonhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

Guest paulstall

I drive a van to and from a special program for mentally and physically challenged people. I also am a part-time volunteer driver for the American Red Cross, delivering clothing to a center that gives them away free to those in need.I'm still single(and still 39:-) ) and live on my own.I live in the New England Valley of West Springfield,Massachusetts (all my life).I'm not a pilot, althought I wanted and dreamed about taking lessons and being able to fly, shortly after getting into Flight Sim three years ago. The problem is I'm on medication that disqualifies me from a medical certificate(anti-depressants -don't know if I'll ever be able to get off them).That makes me feel a little discouraged at times about growing with the lessons in Flight Sim.Paul S.

Guest Dean

I'm 51 and I'm a District Sales Manager for Snap-on's Technical Automotive Equipment Group. In addition to flight simming I enjoy bowling, scuba diving, and fixing broken stuff!

Guest Kingair315

She really should not complain.My wife says, (I read this stuff to her, maybe that would help.) "At least she know where you are all the time, and what you are doing. You could be pouring money into a hole in the water, a boat or spending it drinking in a bar. I get to spend all the money we save, because Bob does not do either. :-)"

Guest Andy Warden

Aged 16, still at school, will be starting sixth form this year, and I work as a pot washer in a restaurant. I enjoy 3d graphic modelling, I hope to one day do some payware so that I don't have to wash up anymore to get cash! Also a fan of many extreme sports. Here are 2 pictures of what I like to do :)Me getting airborn my way:Phttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/114858.jpgOne of my models. Will be finished, but hasn't been worked on in probably a year due to other models.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/114859.jpgIt's interesing to find out about the other people who share this hobby:) Keep posting guys :D

Greetings -I'm retired (67) and spent most of my working career in the travel industry - including 6 years as a Pan Am res agt in the 60s. As ceo/gen mgr of a large retail travel organization for many years I had lots of opportunities to ride in the back end of jets going just about anywhere---and did! My last job(9years) was managing a group of folks who evaluated and rated hotels and restaurants throughout North America for a major organization, so I got around quite a bit in that position as well.But, I was always fascinated with airplanes and airports. In about 1965 I heard an add on my car radio----United Airlines would interview you if you had a ppl and 2yrs of college! I drove directly to Atlas Aviation in Denver and paid $5 for a 30 minute introductory flight at Stapleton. We taxied to the active with big jets in front and behind our little 150. The combination of the noise, heavy smell of jet fuel burning and the confusing rapid fire ATC chatter was overwhelming and immediately intimidated me to the point that I didn't follow through with the lessons. A decision I have often regretted.Instead of flying I picked up motorcycle riding (and fly fishing) and have owned 49 bikes and ridden approximately 12-14,000 miles a year since. That is untill I started all this! I probably won't ride over 8-10k this year.About 4 years ago I typed 'flight simulation'(just out of curiosity) into a search engine and up popped MSFS! Bingo! I spent the first year trying to figure out how to play CFS3 and then got into FS8 followed by FS9. I couldn't stand the instructor in the game, so I abandoned the lessons after just a few and started flying seat of the pants. I thought I was getting somewhere, and sort of considered myself an intermediate simmer, That is, untill I just recently loaded the PMDG 737NG. Now I've got the same feeling I had back in that little 150!Anyway, I am absolutely captivated by this game and I spend countless hours on it--- sometimes 10+ a day. Too, I am constantly in awe at the incredible number of highly talented, knowledgeable and skilled folks who make this game so entertaining and so much fun. Thank you all!B. ScottTexas

Guest Kingair315

Well, after reading all these messages, it looks like Im the eldest so far at 75. But we say, you are only as old as you think, and it looks like I think in similar ways as those 17 or younger on up here....Began working at 10, in a Grocery store. Went to work for Western Union at 14, joined the army at 16, intending to make it my "career." Began well, going to one school after another, as they had no need for me in '46... Mostly in communications... Teletype (anyone remember that) Telephone Operator, then repair, Pole Line Construction, Radio, High Speed Radio Intercept, (35wpm code)... Message center operations, Cryptography, Message Center Chief... Finally, they caught me, and sent me to Okinawa to the 526th Counter Intelligence Corp. Was there when the Korean War began, volunteered three times before they finally sent me. Served with 5th Regimental Combat Team, 2 and 1/2 tours. (If interested, see "Hills of Sacrifice" the only book written about an Army unit, by a Marine.) Guess I was one of those guys who thought they were "invincable", found out I was not. After nine years in the service, I'd had enough. Good decision, many of my close friends names, are now on the Vietnam Wall.Went to NYI of Photography, became my "Hobby." Working as a Photo Journalist, Wedding and Childrens Photog.... Had PTSD, taking Psych courses trying to learn something to help myself, until I had 211 units, without a dregree. The school finally pinned me down, and asked when I was going to get one. So went along with them, took some missing courses, earned my MA, then Ph.D.... worked as a therapist helping other Vets until 1995 when I retired...A frustrated wanna be pilot, who cant pass the physical. My right hand has muscle atrophy from frostbite six miles from the Yalu river. Been flying with the FS since Bruce Artwick days, and bought all his addon's etc.. Since I retired, began playing around with painting landscapes or seascapes, and mostly the Red Rock Country. Grand Canyon, Oak Creek Canyon, Monument Valley, Sedona, Navajo and Hopi Reservations. Even have painted a few aircraft. Found Ive begun an entirely new career at 75. Have sold 35 paintings on eBay just since January. Helps pay for my gas in the Motorhome, to go find more landscapes to paint. My wife loves it because Im involved with the Flight Sim, and painting, she always knows where I am... and one now pays for the other.