Sign in to follow this  
Guest melevine

What do you do in "Real Life"..when you aren't simming?

Guest Camsdad

What can Brown do for you?

Guest Tumbleweed

Very interesting thread!I'm 37 years old and am a Compliance Officer for a large US investment bank in London, UK. I'm originally from Cape Town, South Africa.I obtained a PPL when at university many years ago, but for various reasons my ability to keep flying has tapered off. I became aware of FS98 in shops in 1999 but didn't give it the light of day until one day I finally said 'what the ####'! Well, since then I've been slighted by the hand of PC wizardry. I think FSCOF occupies 15GB of storage on my PC. I still marvel at what the home PC is capable of today. FS is a great pasttime - and educational too.Have dabbled in making videos for FS and would like to get me teeth into repaints one day tooGood to meet you allErich

I am a 43 years old manager of a small department in a construction and fabrication firm. I currently doing a Masters in Commerce (Management Major) at a local University.I started simming around 1985 with a PCXT clone using SubLogic Flight Simulator V 1.0. I also have the dubious honour of being one of the first persons to post at an AvSim forum on the first day it opened. In fact I do remember Tom posting soon after me with a comment wondering how it was we knew that the forum was available.It seems so long ago...Cheers,Chris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern Australia

Guest glnflwrs

I'm fifty-two and an industrial electrical systems designer for one of the largest construction companies in the world. I spent 1970-1974 as an aircraft electrician for the USAF on C-141/C-130's.I've had a PPL/SEL since 1977 and have approx 1100 hrs., mostly in AA-5A and B.I've played bass guitar since 1968, piano since 1960, and guitar and mandolin since 1958. I LOVE hard rock, the louder the better. The Who, Hendrix, Led Zep, Dope, Alter Bridge, etc.I've been simming since FS4, 1989 approx. and have approx 1400 hrs in my virtual logbook.I live in the So Cal high desert in Hesperia, directly under the final to L26. I can watch the landings all the way to touchdown.Glenn"When a man learns how much he doesn't know compared to how much there is to learn, he starts getting smarter."

Guest P3_Super_Bee

US Navy for 17 years. The whole career has been on the Lockheed P-3 Orion. Have worked/flown on just about every varient of the aircraft, and then some lol.By schooling I am an Aviation Structual Mechanic (A side of the A&P Licence). I am also an Aviation Gas Free Engineer, as well being cross-qualed as a powerplant mech. I am a Quality Assurance Inspector for Airframes/Powerplants/Corrosion and Line Division.Currently attached to Patrol Squadron Four-Seven(VP-47) at Kaneohe MCAF in Hawaii, incidently, all 20 years of my Naval Career will be spent in Hawaii. I am the Leading Petty Officer(NCOIC) of the ISIS shop (not sure what the civilan equivant would be The inspection is done every 8 months and there are 4 inspections in a cycle). We have a consolidated ISIS Team, which is anchored by Executive Transport(Old Command) and the other VP squadrons. I run the Maintenance Control desk and am qualified to release aircraft "Safe for Flight".The Consolidated ISIS Team came about do to the P-3 shortages.(P-3 commands transfer aircraft between each other more than most change their underwear.) When each squadron was doing their own ISIS inspection, the turn around time on the aircraft averaged 36 Days. (one 10 to 12 hour shift 5, maybe 6 days a week) With the ISIS Team we are averaging a turn around of about 4.5 days(3 eight hour shifts). On top of that we support Commandrer, US Pacific Fleet's C3/VIP Travel schedule as well.:-outtahttp://publish.hometown.aol.com/p3superb/i...s/sign_name.jpgThere is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".- unknown"My daddy gives me up, to fight for you"- a US Military Members Child

It's a relief to see that I'm not the only one who suffered beinf laid off by an airline and changed his career in the process - shaking your hand Mike,Best regards,Dom

No kidding??? I didn't know that Brown owned a large fleet of ships. I would have bet a pay check that you were referring to the EVA Lines and Eva Air. :)

Hello62 years oldRetired Corporate Jet PilotPart time, Flight Instructor, Aircraft Mechanic and InspectorGraduate Student (Hopefully, recieve my Master's from ERAU next month)Chief Pilot, WestWind, VA (www.flywestwind.com)Been on this site since it opened.Thanks TomRegards,Ed Ward, Jr.

I'm a 56 year old father of 5 and grandfather of 5.:-)Born and raised in small town south central Illinois.Spent quite a few years in a top notch machine shop before becoming a "Journeyman Pattermaker/Precison Woodworker"Left the Precison Woodworking trade to establish my own Heating/Air Conditioning/Refrigeration/Electrical company. Sold the company some years back to dabble in Real Estate and Investments.Intersted in Art and Aviation since our Boy Scout Troop Leader and local Optometrist took the troop for rides in his Tri Pacer!!Became aware of Flight Simulation with FS98 and started with an old handbuilt machine w/16 mhz processor and 4 mb of ram video card in a pci slot and 14" color monitor running 256 colors and 640X480 rez.Thought I was in heaven when I discovered freeware libraries but my old modem and dog slow connection almost kept me from enjoying the fine freeware available:-)Eventually found that you could purchase addons for flight simulation and started with some Abacus products before being knocked out by what Lou Betti and Dream Fleet did with their beautiful work:-)PPL work is complete with exception of the airmens knowledge exam and a check ride. Hope to find time to complete that soon:-)Now semi retired, it seemed good to start our own development group. To that end, Eaglesoft Development Group was established in 2002 and we've been enjoying ourselves since then:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Well I am 59 years old and retired 2.5 years ago after 30 years in the Australian Public Service. I use to live in Canberra the capital of Australia but I am now fortunate to live on the New South Wales far south coast at Tura Beach near Merimbula. I have been flight simming since about 1994 but my interest in Aviation goes back to early 80's when I worked for the Department of Aviation as a psychologist assisting with the selection of Air Traffic Controllers. During a visit to the US in 1980 I got to see a number of ATC facilities over there including Newark and JFK. I have been married for 31 years and have a son who has just completed a Software Engineering degree at the Australian National University and Daughter who is in third year of an Arts/Law degree also at ANU. My wife is an Optometrist. When I am not flight simming I enjoy camping, bushwalking, tennis and cross country skiing.Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Guest Capn Tall

I've been involved with airplanes since I was 16 years old (1952)and attended a vocational high school that taught aircraft maintenance. Joined the Air Force in 1954 and became a crew chief on U-2's. After discharge in 1958 went to work for Douglas Aircraft teaching DC-9 systems. Was hired by North Central Airlines in 1966 as a pilot and instructor. Through mergers ended up with Northwest Airlines and retired at age 60 in 1996. (That makes me 68 going on 69)Started flight simming after retirement to help me keep proficient in flying light airplanes in real life and relive some of the airline flights I've made over the years.My best to all of the very talented people that are part of the flight sim community.Ed Weber Lake Havasu City, AZ

Guest SteveJ

Retired USAF Colonel, now teaching and coaching at a small catholic high school in Manassas, VA. I'm a new grandpa, also enjoying our new puppy, and trying to learn the game of golf at 56.I was not a pilot in the AF, almost got my private license in the mid-70s, had soloed and was ready for my cross country when I was reassigned....and for various reasons I never completed my training. So flight simming since the early days is a way of fulfilling that long held dream of flying. Today, I occasionally will rent an hour in a 172 with an instructor and fly around the Shenandoahs.At present in the virtual world I'm enjoying exploring the Pacific NW Megascenery with the A36 and B1900C. Thanks to all who contribute to this great hobby!Steve J.KHEF

I am 40.5 and originally from Papua New Guinea (PNG). Now living near Martinsburg, West Virginia and work as a Real Estate Agent for a prominent Realtor in Winchester, Virginia. I also own my own restaurant at the Martinsburg Mall, West Virginia.In my previous life, in fact up until a year ago, I was a Diplomat for PNG to the United States in Washington, DC for 6.5 years. I hold an active FAA PPL from Montgomery County Airpark, Maryland. Have four kids, the eldest is now on tour in the Mediteranean as a Corporal in the US Marines. OOH RAAH!!I hold a Masters Degree in International Relations from the University of Wollongong in Australia.Graham MichaelBunker Hill, WV

Edited for speeling

Visit the tribe @ http://islandsim.com

Guest Air1

Steve Arnold here. Almost 60, Woodstock Illinois USAAlways been interested in all things that fly.Was a USAF weapons machanic working on aircraft armament systems,B-58, F-105 and F-111's.Sport parachuting in my younger more stupid days, but what a kick.Was a volunteer EMT/Paramedic for many years.Married to the same woman and working for the same company for the last 35 years. Middle managment in the molded plastic filtration industry. Mostly automotice and pharmaceutical applications.Got my PPL in 1982 C-150, C-172's mostly.Been a EAA member for some 25 years.Wife and I looking forward to retirement one of these days very soon.Been flightsimming since day one. It has been some trip through rapidly advancing technology. Keeps you sharp just trying to keep up.What a diverse group we are. Never knew there were so many "old" guys out there.

Steve, ya'll are just up the road from AVSIM's HQ in Charlottesville. We are going to need a Virginia simmer's get together one of these days. There are a lot of us here! :)