Sign in to follow this  
RobbieHe

10 years of Microsoft Flight Simming for me... How abou...

Actually, prior to Microsoft Flight Sim (5.1), I flew a Chuck Yeager sim. I forgot what it was called but have it around here somewhere.RH

Yeah, and there's no letting down on the hardware-performance issue.RH

Guest Mike94

I started with the very early SubLOGIC FS on the Tandy TRS-80, not sure what year this was, 1980??It continued with the version for the C64, and i never lost interest in flight simulation, i never skipped a single version, including subLOGICs ATP etc. and later the MS FS series. I think i bought every single subLOGIC scenery disk and addon. Later i got hooked by the Fly! series, but still used MSFS at the same time.I think the versions i never liked that much at this time was 'FS for Win95' and FS2000.I still have most of the boxes, disks and manuals of all these version, including the green booklet of subLOGICs very first Flight Simulator for the TRS-80, nice memories, its like a museum... :-)I must admit, i still feel this tingling inside when a new version is on its way, i feel it right now for FSX.... :-)Keep on flying!Cheers from germany,Michael

Guest Ichinin

Played FS the first time on the Amiga back in the 90's. Back then we had no textures, no complex meshes, very few airports and only 2 airplanes to play with :DStarted flight simming earlier than FS, first one ever was "Solo Flight" on the C64, have gone through lots of sims after that: Chuck Yeagers AFT, F18 Interceptor, Shuttle, F22, Orbiter Sim, Lock on Modern Air Combat(and more).Intrestingly enough, today i bought my first PC joystick (ever) to use with FSX. The 747-400 is more simple to fly now than with just the keyboard/mouse :)

Guest sledge57

>The same here also 24 years, exactly the same with the only>diference that I haven't skipped any version! I've got them>ALL yet and not only from MS! also all FLY and Pro-Pilot and>FU....>>All the best >>ALGSame for me + all combat sims and don't forget Sublogics JETI think the only ones I didn't buy were the expansions to IL2

Guest unitedpilot36

I started with FS 2000, I was mind boggled at the depth and realism of it. The only addon I ever had on it was Airport 2000, and that's because my dad installed it. I was about 11 at the time and honestly knew very little about it, I didn't even know there were freeware 3rd party addons, so I flew it stock until I got FS2002. When I got FS2002, I had matured a bit and found some freeware planes, which I struggled greatly to get installed. Some worked, some didn't, I wasn't very smart at that point and when I got a plane to work, I was exhilarated. I flew FS2002 all the time, still in a learning trend at that point but I was starting to get a hang of things, like landing on the runway instead of the grass next to it. :(Once FS2004 came out, I was immensely better at flying, landing, and what ever else. FS2004 was my biggest leap in knowledge, about a year after I got it, I could install any addon no problem.For the past couple years with it, as I've truly matured, I'm a professional user now. I can grease every landing, program all my instruments and whatever else you can think of. I had a long learning trend but it was worth it, this is the best simulation ever made hands down.I'm 18, so I've got 7 years nailed down, and will fly FS for the remainder of it's existence. :)

>Played FS the first time on the Amiga back in the 90's. Back>then we had no textures, no complex meshes, very few airports>and only 2 airplanes to play with :D>>Started flight simming earlier than FS, first one ever was>"Solo Flight" on the C64, have gone through lots of sims after>that: Chuck Yeagers AFT, F18 Interceptor, Shuttle, F22,>Orbiter Sim, Lock on Modern Air Combat(and more).>>Intrestingly enough, today i bought my first PC joystick>(ever) to use with FSX. The 747-400 is more simple to fly now>than with just the keyboard/mouse :)>I also started with Solo Flight on C64. I think it was around 1982? Anyway, I had the cassette tape version and the only airport I remember was at Topeka Kansas but there were a couple of others nearby.

It was 1999 or 2000, when I was in 1st grade that I stumbled across Flight Simulator 98 at a museum that I got hooked to it. So about 7 years for me! The versions I've skipped are 5.1, 95, and 2000.

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

ASUS P5E X38 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz on 1600 MHz FSB (400x8) | 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM | EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked @ 679/979 | 320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RPM HD

Hello Everyone. I have been flying simulators since 1983 (the Microsoft FS2 by Bruce Atwick)using the Apple IIC portable computer. So I am a 24-year veteran. Since then I have been an active virtual pilot and have flown all the subsequent FS simulators and I am just starting on FSX. (I built a new computer just for this). I have flown other simulators such as F19, by Microprose, and Air Transport Pilot by Sublogic. I however only fly Microsoft simulators 99% of the time because of what they can allow you to do. I fly mainly with other pilots on a vitual Network because of the realism of following "real-life" rules, being controlled and having "real" weather conditions. For me it is a serious hobby, which keeps me occupied and makes me relax. For those of you who may not fly with traffic and human controllers, I would recommend it; it sharpens one's flying skills and makes one a better pilot. Flying where the traffic is dense is good for this (Brazil and Europe in general are busy most of the time). Incidentally my hobby is appreciated by the whole family who love to see me do a difficult landing due to wind or poor visibility. And at times they love the different parts of the world I fly in. Have a good weekend, you all.

Depends, I had Barnstorming for the Atari 2600, or how about Air Raid. If they count then it's been since 1982. However, my first true flight simulator was Microsoft's Combat Flight Simulator, then FS98. So either 26 years or 10 years. :(

FS4 was my forst simulator. After some inactive years I came back with FS98 and still here...

whilst surfing amazon.co.uk 5-6 years back, I came across "flight Unlimited 3" (reccommended by a friend of mine) which is not made by microsoft, but by (the now bust) Looking Glass (and activision, but they are still around...). It was great, and I really enjoyed it. I grew up with it for4-5 years with it just with what came out of the box. I ended up finding a youtube video of the "Virgin 747" and that prompted me here, where I became a member post-haste and immediately downloaded it. That (and others) transformed my experience. So after 5-6 years of pure dedication (trust me, I would go on it at least four times a week), last christmas I got a new computer and bought FSX. Needless to say FSX was better in ALMOST every way, but I still go back to the old Flight Unlimited 3 every so often. Its so simple but yet so complex in ways you cant describe... plus it runs faster! AND people are STILL making add-ons for it (got half way through my own project (which was a completely fictional plane but I was told it was a good idea) before it stalled in front of my eyes (dont ask please!)) which is really great! I was put off from the microsoft series by one of my friends who got 2000 and said it was utter rubbish (and on his computer, trust me, it WAS!, but now I realise why it was terrible on his computer (he wasnt the brightest kid and didnt realise his pc was extremely underpowered!), so I think I missed out on a lot!!Other than that, thats the only REAL flight simulators I have (if you count "heatseeker" on Wii then its three!). I dream to be a pilot (a dream which may not come true if the credit crunch hits hard!) but with all this virtual experience it might help me in later life... only time will tell...

People talk about memory lane. This entire thread is sort of a memory lane since it goes back to 2006.Started with FS95 on my dad's computer - can't remember how powerful it was but it was a bit of a slide show back in 1998. I remember not being able to find any airports or runways - I just circled the vicinity for hours looking for an opportunity to land. I skipped FS98 because I didn't have a powerful computer but I bought FS2000 when I got me a shiny new Gateway in 2001. I remember finding out that I would negate the warranty if I added a more powerful video card (even if I ordered it from Gateway). I was beside myself and I bent the ear of the Gateway guy for what had to have been a 1/2 hour. That was the last mass produced desktop I would buy. Anyway, the first thing I did was buy FS2000 and download some stuff from FS.com. I had surfed the site for a few years dreaming of the day when I could download freeware. I know it wasn't the best FS title but FS2002 was a huge breakthrough for me with the addition of AI traffic. I still remember the day when the AI traffic code was cracked, Lee introduced TTools and I became a FS geek. I have been hopelessly addicted ever since.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Gawd!!! 28 years. Sublogic FS on a C-64 with a B&W 12 inch tv for a monitor. Was really cool when they started releasing the expanded "Scenery" packs around 1985 or 86. 40 bucks a pop back then was alot of money but worth it. I actually discovered Flight Simulator from an ad on the back page of Compute's Gazzette magazine. We had a C-64 and also an HP PC in the testing lab at work so there was a little more then testing going on, on the overtime nights.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

3 years for me. LOL I have learned an untold amount of info by using FS2004.Started with a copy of FSX, went to FS2004, now I have both installed, mainly flying FS2004. I only use FSX when I need to fly in the ORBX scenery. :D

Danny