Sign in to follow this  
RobbieHe

10 years of Microsoft Flight Simming for me... How abou...

Guest Pabra

Actually started on a 286-10 back in 1985 from a friend (I still have the copy with the floppy inside the manual), got hooked instantly and in 1988 got the amiga 500; my first comp, and had every version that came next with the pc to run it (and all the addons). Always looking forward to the next version......

Guest apwright

Sublogic FS II on my trusty Atari 800XL in about 1984. A friend of mine bought it and couldn't get into it, so I swapped all my Scalextric for it... Spent may evenings at university trying to navigate from Martha's Vineyard to NYC, or from Champaign to Meigs, when I should have been down at the students' union bar!Relive the old days here: http://fshistory.simflight.com

Must been going since 1988-89. First real flight sim was AIRBUS A320 on the Amiga 500. This was allot of fun. It even INCLUDED Jeppesen high altitude charts and 2 books full of approach plates, don't see that now. Learned allot from that little program. I still look at MFS today in amazement.Here are some screens of what it was like.http://hol.abime.net/3173/screenshotRegards Adam

Guest cmhodge

I remember......Dreaming of building the Sinclair mini computer, because the ads in the magazine showed the flight simulator...Messing about with some old Blue Angels and Super Huey games on my first DOS computer. Didn't spend too much time on them...Spending dozens of hours on FS98, on a laptop without a joystick. Doing most of the flying from spot view. Was fun, but never got too far in learning anything real about flying...A year ago, splurging on FS2004 for my new computer. Then finding this site (and others) WOW! Now I am totally hooked. I would spend 3 hours a night on this if I could (in reality, I get probably 3 hours a week)--Chris

I almost forgotIn 1972, trained on a PDP11 with ATC in CAnada.Airplanes were doubler-bar impressions on an actual approach radar, up to about three-five at a time for vectoring practices.Does not count as a flight sim, but was a Radar Contatct 0.000001 version (??)Boy if we had back then what we have now.For airport practices, in our first weeks training, we had little plastic airplanes (the tiny one piece items from Cracker-Jack boxes at that time) that we would each "fly" around a table embellished with paper impressions for runways on it, and we were "forced" (with threat of dismissal) to mimick the sound of our little airplanes' roaring jet engines, and most hated of all, mimick the ringy-dingy of a telephone calling flight services to file flight plans.allen'

Guest thscholz

>For airport practices, in our first weeks training, we had>little plastic airplanes (the tiny one piece items from>Cracker-Jack boxes at that time) that we would each "fly">around a table embellished with paper impressions for runways>on it, and we were "forced" (with threat of dismissal) to>mimick the sound of our little airplanes' roaring jet engines,>and most hated of all, mimick the ringy-dingy of a telephone>calling flight services to file flight plans.>Come on, don't cheat. That doesn't count as Flight Simulator.:D But I bet you had fun.:-lol CheersThomas

16 years here.I still remember the first time I saw flightsim, on a customers PC. I was at work and saw he had flightsim on his PC, started it up and didn't stop being mezmerized for hours.I was amazed by stark green mountains and the green squares for the ground, it was unbeleivably beautiful, so lifelike! :-lolI got into real flight and remained hooked on FS ever since. In fact it is the only entertainment title on my PC, well other than Splinter Cell!![hr color=#000000][table border=0" width="98%" id="table1" height="4" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="2][td width=500]Jason CYOO - Formerly MYNN[br /]General Aviation Fan[br][/b]P4 3.2Ghz, 1GB Ram, FX5900 128MB, XP SP2.[br /][br /]

I started off with MSFS back in 1994 but I actually didn't get hooked right away. It wasn't until Fly! came around that I got seriously interested in flightsimming.

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

For me it was late '84 (I think) with a bootleg copy of SubLogic FS on a dual 5.25" floppy, 4.77 Mhz PC XT and a mono screen. Mmmmmm no hard disk then.Man, it was pretty impressive and each subsequent version has impressed me no less.Anyone remember "Jet"?Cheers,Chris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern Australia

I bought my first computer, a 75mhz Pentium with a 4 gig HD, in 1994 and got MSFS 5.1 (on CD-Rom no less!!) soon after, so it's been almost 12 years for me. I remember soon after I had it set up that I called my father, who has 30 years of air traffic controlling to his credit (KRIC), over to my apartment and he was just floored! He couldn't stop shooting ILS approaches in the default Cessna! Soon after he was hooked, and he bought a computer, too! I have purchased every version since then, and even a few new computers just to keep up! Now that I've discovered the joys of flying on VATSIM and with FSX on the near horizon, it looks like this obession will only continue for me!!Paul

Guest thscholz

>For me it was late '84 (I think) with a bootleg copy of>SubLogic FS on a dual 5.25" floppy, 4.77 Mhz PC XT and a mono>screen. Mmmmmm no hard disk then.>Chris,didn't your PC have that 'TURBO switch' to run it at 8Mhz?CheersThomas

Been using Flight Simulator since the first one for Commedore. Had ATP by Sub Logic and a sim called Airbus. Still have the three approach chart books that came with it. Now a retired coffee salesman and still at it. Dick Davis

1986 or so. SubLogic FS II on an Apple //e.I had Scenery Disk #7 (U.S. East Coast) and loved flying from Nassau in the Bahamas up to Boston. I flew all over there.Also had the Japan Scenery Disk.Then about 1992 I got an IBM-compatible and had FS4.Between 1997-2001 I was big into FS and must have posted 5000 posts here at AVSIM. I could never do that again. :) Then I was out of the scene for 2-3 years, only got back in last year. But I do FS in moderation now...no more binge FSingRhett

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Wow ... a trip down memory lane!!!I started with SubLogic on an AppleIIe ... don't remember the year honestly ... late late 70's early early 80's. Before that, had an F-15 simulator (just a panel) on my TRS-80 (z80 w/4K ram ..hahahahaha .. 16k upgrade cost $100 ... loaded from tape.) First MSFS was on a Mac in 84 or 85. There was a great Fokker Triplane and P51 sim on the Mac in the early days. Got a PC in 1987 and every version of MSFS since then which I toyed around with until FS98 when I really got serious and then FS2000 when I got nuts (Maddog 2000, PSS 747/777, PIC 767, DF737 ... etc etc.) ... (kids grown ... out of the house, time on my hands ... !!!)Many years of enjoyment ... now flying AF406, 777-200 service from LFPG to SCEL at the moment, FL320 about to overfly Madeira!!!Cheers and thanks for the memories!!!!Paul BenoitKSAN

FS5 on a 28616 with a monochrome 14" monitor. Later traded a guy for a 14" color monitor and video card with 4 MB memory. Used the keyboard to fly until I found a joystick.FS98 started the juices flowing and downloaded a bunch of freeware on a 14.4 dialup. Haven't missed a version since, upgraded a lot of hardware:-)Once I couldn't spell addon developer, now I are one :-lol :-lol With FSX, we should all be thankful for how far we've come :-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png