Sign in to follow this  
byork

FS2Crew Mini-Sample: Monitored Approach to CATIIIA Mins

Gentlemen,To give you a better sense of what FS2Crew is all about, I'm going to briefly demonstrate what is involved in shooting a Precision Approach using FS2Crew's Monitored Approach Procedures.Monitored Approach Procedures are used when the landing visibility or RVR is very low and they're designed to help the flight crew focus on their specific tasks. What makes Monitored Approach Procedures unique is that the Captain and FO essentially switch roles. In FS2Crew, you -the Captain- are typically the Pilot Flying (PF), and the FO is the Pilot Monitoring (PM). But during a Monitored Approach, the Captain becomes the PM and the FO becomes the PF. The FO essentially flies the aircraft through the autopilot, and the CP keeps his head down and keeps a close eye on the instruments.We'll start 20 miles back of the localizer, and shoot an autoland CATIIIA approach.We'll assume that that the Approach Briefing and In Range Checklist have been completed (FS2Crew models Monitored Approach Briefings the way they're meant to be done). We'll also assume that you've entered the correct Decision Height (we'll use 50 feet), and that you've set the Mins selector to RADIO. What we need to do now is enter the landing Target speed on the main Approach Page in the TGT Box:http://www.fs2crew.com/appldg1.gifSince the autothrottle will be used (it's going to be an autoland after all), the landing Target speed will be VREF + 5. We need to enter the Target speed so the FO has a reference from which to make speed deviation callouts (which, on a Monitored Approach, are a little bit tighter than they are on a non-Monitored Approach).OK, now the fun part. We need to open the "Monitored Approach" Sub-Page. We do that by clicking the "M" button. (The "P", "NP" and "V" buttons are other Approach Sub-Pages which will be described later).http://www.fs2crew.com/monitoredtut.gifWith me so far?Now, we need to configure the Monitored Approach Sub-Page.First we need to "activate" the Monitored Approach Page, which we do by clicking the Box beside the Monitored Approach Page title. A green circle will display in that box indicating that the Monitored Approach Page is now active.Next, we need to enter the Flaps 0 Maneuvering speed in the VMO Box.At this stage in the approach, that speed should be discernable on the left PFD. (The Flaps 0 Maneuvering Speed needs to be manually entered due to some interface limitations with the PMDG 737.)We need to enter the Flaps 0 Maneuvering speed because it will serve as the reference point from which the FO will call for various flap settings. Remember, the FO is the PF during a Monitored Approach: She calls for the flaps, not you!Finally, we need to enter the elevation of the runway touchdown zone (TDZE). That elevation is typically used as a reference for altitude callouts in the other approach modes, but for Monitored Approaches we need to enter that value so the FO has a reference point from which she can call for the final landing flaps.Have I lost you yet? I hope not.OK, we're now getting closer to the localizer.Before we pass control of the aircraft to the FO, call for the Approach Checklist by clicking the

This is very cool!!!!And beleve me, this is just the package I need.Thanks,

Yes, this indeed looks very awesome. If you need more beta tests, I would DEFINITELY be interested in doing that. If this is the case, please consider me. You can contact me at HemisphereCEO@aol.com

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

This looks incredible. I have just found this forum. I dont think the word has gotten out but when it does I am sure this will become a very popular product.ThanksAndrew

Guest yamahama1

This thing is so sexy, I'm a little ashamed of myself... :)I can't wait to use this, this sort of functionality is the reason I bought flight simulator and each version since 5.1

Guest knack

errrr..."she"?? The F.O. is a she?!There go all the dirty jokes and funny comments about the flight attendants ;( Seriously though...will users be able to choose between a male or female F.O.?Cheers,Tony

Hi Tony,The FO is actually a "He." The female FO was fired long ago.You can hear "his" voice in the PowerPoint Presentation.Dirty Jokes: I thought about including some true blue cockpit "gutter talk" but then decided that FS2Crew is a "Family" program :-)Bryan

WOWOK now get this thing out in the market. Imagine a 2 man crew by yourself, I'm gettin goosebumps. Looks like we'l have our work cut out for us learning all the procedures, but will be a ball