Sign in to follow this  
michal

Meridian's been out a little while - what do you think?

I saw some initial posts when released, but not much since. I hope it's because the folks who bought it can't stop flying it long enough to post some thoughts. What do you REALLY think now that you have flown it for some time?

Hi,I only have 4 or 5 hours in the plane. The plane and systems are fairly complex. Great! I am enjoying the plane as I gain experience and knowledge of the navigation systems. The Garmin simulation requires time and practice to fully understand the excellent fidelity of the simulation.The plane is great fun to hand fly and I certainly consider it the best GA aircraft in my hanger. The nice thing is that each flight allows me to explore more of the capabilities and I have a lots to learn. So far....... excellent.BobP :)

My opinion is simple: The most complex GA ever made;No problems in running it (but check flight1 forum there are users with problems)Nice attention to details (like oxygen mask sound, two dim positions for buttons or even initialization routines on avionics)Clean panel, if it is nice? depends if you like a lot of avionics on a clean panel, I doI'm not a pilot so can't comment on dynamics but steve Small made it;It's not an easy plane it requires a lot of reading and testing;Some hit on Frames but I have a 2.4 so can't comment. For me it's just fine;There's a review on flightsim.comJos

I agree with everything Jose said about the meridan. It is a fantastic aircraft (as a matter of fact it is now my favorite). Framerate wise I was kindy of nervious putting the meridan on a P3 1ghz computer, however the results were fantastic. Without touching any of my sliders (which all about 75%) I get framerates between 18-20 (locked at 20). This was even before I tried to optimize it with the utility Flight1 provides. All though some people have frame rate problems with it I would have to suggest buying the meridan if you like complex GA planes.Dave

Hi everyone,The ultimate test of this aircraft's fidelity would be whether it can capture the glide slope from above. The S-TEC55X has this capability - you have to manually engage a special mode to do it (read the manual !). If it can do it - WOOWOOW - that would be an absolute first in the FS world. I am not saying the aircraft's value is somehow diminished if it can't do it - but if it can - a 6-star review rating would be a must in my opinion.I am patiently waiting for the CD version - I am getting it for sure although I know my system being below the minimum won't be able to handle it very well. The upgrade is in the cards ... in the meantime I will be studying ....Michael J.

Some day I'm going to read the manual & get the flight displays working! It's probably been a week since purchase & I havn't accomplished this task yet! :) I must have missed a switch somewhere..L.Adamson

I can't say enough good things about the Meridian. I have quite a few hours in it so far and it is a dream. It does everything it's supposed to do. I have a 1.6Ghz system with G3Ti200 and it is very smooth. I have turned down the VC via the Optimizer because I rarely use the VC. The smoothness of the electronic gauges are sweet. You really feel like you are working a thing of beauty. I am still finding wonderful surprises after finally climbing out of the cockpit long enough to re-read the manual. Things like the female annunciated checklist that is available using the CVR300i. The checklist is exhaustive but easy to use. What a neat trick. There is just so much to like with this one.My favorite of all time,

Thanks for the replies. I guess I better make some room in the hangar for my new Meridian.

Guest DanWalloch

Able to do a full CAT III approach. During my time beta testing the meridian I got to really play with the autopilot. I set up the GNS 530 and the autopilot to shoot a full ILS approach itself, all I did was adjust power, gear and flaps. Full flaps just inside the inner marker or 500' agl and airspeed to 99Kts. Leave the A/P APR on...it will set the meridian down ever so softly. I strongly incourage you guys to try it. And once you've got it all figured out.....drop the weather down to a ceiling of 500ft and 1/4 mile visibility....you'll be suprised!

The only problem is ... I can't stop flying it!!!!Having used MSFS for 20+ years ... I have not experienced the immersion in any A/C the way you are totally immersed in the Meridian. The Garmin itself is a study of months, the Meggit Gauges are all complex in and of themselves ... and the A/C simply flies extremely well.I have an old 866 PIII w/512mb and a gforce2mx400 w/64mb and the Meridian runs fine in the "optimized" mode .. I nevered cared for VC's and not much for the eye candy anyway.If you buy it, be prepared to say good bye to your other A/C for a while ... honestly.Thankfully I have no issues with it at all .. can't even find a NIT, none ... truly amazing collaboration .. the Reality XP folks and Flight 1 .. And the silly thing, I don't really like GA aircraft, preferring the regional turbos and the medium jets ... so go figure.Truly a masterpiece which will be very hard to beat .... not being familiar with the GA world, I am hoping that a GA Twin Turbo (with avionics like the Meridian) that can fly high and do mach .70 at 30,000 will appear. If that happens, i will have to retire even my favorite PIC 767 and PSS A320 as well as DF 737 ... Good luck, happy flying, and

>agl and airspeed to 99Kts. Leave the A/P APR on...it will >set the meridian down ever so softly. Have hard time visualizing it. Are you suggesting some sort of autoland ? If you don't disconnect A/P and let it run to the end the aircraft will hit the concrete with about 500 fpm descent rate - not a very healthy rate for this expensive Meridian gear. Michael J.

Guest Mike94

You are so right, you can't stop flying it!This is one of the best (if not THE best) airplanes for FS2002 ever!!A truly 'Must Have'!!-Michael

After reading the posts here I think you get the picture:Meridian is the best GA aircraft made for FS so far.I had some initial problems with my system, but thanks to the great customer support from the guys from XPReality and F1, they were quickly resolved.It now flies like a dream and somehow you get really addicted to this one.I know of some aircraft, and you do too, that you fly for a while and than get parked in your hangar forever. Not this one!It's a stayer and a true benchmark for future developers.Where I first had one favourite, I now have two: B767PIC and Meridian!Get it.Gideon

Guest Grunt

I have to agree...F1's support is the best!I personally haven't asked any questions on the forums but have had them all answred by cruising their forums!The 530 is awsome (I bought the stand alone prior to the Meridian and have it in many of my GA planes). No more crappy tailwind or crosswind landings in IFR conditions...just shoot a GPS approach and use the autopilot and VNAV functions down to MAP.It is a dog on my Athlon 1.2/GF4mx420/512RAM system, but by using the configuration manager,panel manager,making some minor adjustments and using the DXT3 textures I have it running fairky well now (for my system). Make sure you check out the F1 forums and make the setting changes suggested and experiment a little and you'll be good to go!A great package!Great Lakes Express VAKDTW