Sign in to follow this  
Guest lcomer

Carenado 206 banking issue

Guest lcomer

I have the Caranado U206 and enjoy it, but one thing drives me insane. When flying without the autopilot, the plane leans to the left slightly. I have calibrated my joystick, in fact have a new one. If I attempt to adjust the rudder trim it just gets more wacky. Any ideas how to fix this. I can fly ok using cntrl V, but that turns on the AP, which is ok, but how often does one fly a cessna on auto pilot. Any ideas will be much appreciated.

Switch the fuel tanks. The 206 pulls fuel from the left tank first, creating an imbalance. Switch to the right periodically to keep things even. I forgot this yesterday, and didn't discover it until my engine shut off when the left tank went dry.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest lcomer

Thanks for the reply. Yea, I have actually tried that, but to no avail. I notice it directly on takeoff. It might even out if it is in flight enough. But without the ap on, you cant keep it straight and level, it will lean to the left slightly. None of the other planes do this, least none I have noticed. Well, I take that back, I have the Beech from Carenado as well, and it leans pretty bad, but you can correct it after a bit. Anyways, thanks for the reply.

Some aircraft are worse than others, and can be realistic to prop torque, or 'not so much'.There is a setting in the aircraft .cfg you can change to make things easier to fly 'by hand'.I'm at work right now, but will post my settings later. I have done this to all my Carenado aircraft.For the most part, the only manufacturer's (designer's) I have not had to do this is RealAir, and a couple of my Eaglesoft models (same 'flight dynamic' designer for those particular models).

Guest lcomer

awesome, I will look for the post later. I was actually wandering about that earlier, when I read the .cfg file, but was not sure what to change without making things worse. I have some from Dreamfleet and flight one, that I have never had a problem with. The DF baron flies straight as an arrow with no auto pilot. Thanks again, I will be looking for the post.

I don't have that problem, but I'm curious about the fix, for the future, as well.http://www.my-buddy-icon.com/Icons/objects/red_3d_plane.gifAlex ChristoffN562ZBaltimore, MD

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

Larry, I just happened to have an aircraft.cfg on my laptop:Go to your aircraft.config, and you will see a section similar to this:{flight_tuning}cruise_lift_scalar = 1.0parasite_drag_scalar = 1.0induced_drag_scalar = 1.0elevator_effectiveness = 1.0aileron_effectiveness = 1.0rudder_effectiveness = 1.0pitch_stability = 1.0roll_stability = 1.0yaw_stability = 1.0elevator_trim_effectiveness = 0.52 <<---typically 1.0 alsoaileron_trim_effectiveness = 1.0rudder_trim_effectiveness = 1.0There are a few changes you can make, but do not lose the defaults (which are usually 1.0),You might try:{flight_tuning}cruise_lift_scalar = 1.0parasite_drag_scalar = 1.0induced_drag_scalar = 1.0elevator_effectiveness = 1.0///aileron_effectiveness = 1.0aileron_effectiveness = 0.7 //<-- Start here and see what you thinkrudder_effectiveness = 1.0pitch_stability = 1.0roll_stability = 1.0 //<-- Not sure how this might change thingsyaw_stability = 1.0elevator_trim_effectiveness = 0.52 //<--look at this setting tooaileron_trim_effectiveness = 1.0rudder_trim_effectiveness = 1.0The elevator trim setting is often 1.0, if it is, you might try reducing it, the 0.52 example above was just for this particular aircraft. By reducing it below 1.0, will make each 'click' of the trim a much smaller 'chunk' of setting. I find way to often that 'one click' of trim is too much one way or the other, this makes it 'smaller', and much easier to 'trim out' many planes.You could try the same thing for the airleron trim setting.I find FS aircraft to be way to hard to trim, and the above changes can really help.The effectiveness settings (including elevator as well) can be played with until you get a good compromise. Typically, any slight movement will 'turn' the aircraft (or create virtical movement), this is way to 'deaden' the 'zone' a bit.Roll stability? Not sure if I have ever changed this, a lower number would probably make it more sensitive, a larger number (1.3 as example), more 'stable'...but I'm just guessing here.Anyway, I can confirm how I have my Carenado set-ups later, but you might try 'fooling around' with these and see if you can make some improvements.

Guest lcomer

Thank again, I will check it out, but if you are able, please post or send me the carenado configs.

Guest RiddlePilot

I fly a 1972 U206F in the real world. I can't take my hands off the controls for more than 5 seconds without it banking toward the side with more fuel in the tanks. No matter how closely I have them balanced, its very eager to roll, although very gradually. As for rudder trim, I give the trim wheel a VERY good workout on each and every flight. On takeoff, it is set near center, during climb, it gets a few turns to the left, and then in cruise its about 5/8 to the left. If I'm in a long shallow descent, its one or two more turns to the left, and if its a steeper descent from high altitude, I'll trim it a few additional turns. When it's all said and done on short final at near idle power, the trim indicator is almost over on the left stop. On a go around, its a good workout for the right leg until you can get it retrimmed (about 10 or 12 turns) to the takeoff/climb range.In my opinion, FS doesn't simulate torque, slipstream or P-factor anywhere near reality.

Guest lcomer

That makes sense, yea. I will try the rudder trim, but it seems to really get wacky when I do, probably the ms settings. Anyways, more good info, much appreciated.

Here are my 206 settings:{flight_tuning}<<<< ------- Brackets replaced!!cruise_lift_scalar=1.0 parasite_drag_scalar=1.0 induced_drag_scalar=1.0 elevator_effectiveness=1.3 aileron_effectiveness=1.0 rudder_effectiveness=1.8 ///pitch_stability=1.0 pitch_stability=1.5 roll_stability=1.0 yaw_stability=1.0 ///elevator_trim_effectiveness=1.5///elevator_trim_effectiveness=1.0 elevator_trim_effectiveness=0.65 aileron_trim_effectiveness=1.0 rudder_trim_effectiveness=1.0 hi_alpha_on_roll=-0.32hi_alpha_on_yaw=0.1615p_factor_on_yaw= 1.0torque_on_roll=1.5gyro_precession_on_yaw=1.0gyro_precession_on_pitch=1.0I may have flipped my thinking in the earlier post, but this seems to work well for me.But, looking at the 206, I was more concered with pitch than I was roll. So, 'your milage may vary', but could do some testing for yourself.

>In my opinion, FS doesn't simulate torque, slipstream or>P-factor anywhere near reality.Some payware models that I use, are better than others,but not up to the effects that Microsoft's CFS2 & some earlier MSFS sims had.I like a constant right push on the rudder pedal, as if I'm pushing against a gutter, or keeping a water ski on the edge of the wake. I don't want to see the nose all of sudden wander one way or the other which totally destroys the percieved feel of pushing rudder against a force.

Have you checked that your payload is even?

Intel I7-4770 3.4Ghz
16 Gb RAM
nVidia GTX770 2Gb
Windows 8.1 64 bit
P3D 4.4/3.4 FSX SE

Guest lcomer

Yes, I sure have. I always check this right before takeoff and its always dead even. Thanks for the reply.