Sign in to follow this  
Noel

FSX . . . makes FS9 seem . . . pretty extraordinary!

All the expressions of frustration and dissatisfaction from so many people on the FSX forum makes me really appreciate what a great product we have in FS9. I'm sure FSX will really bloom as Vista and DX10 with appropriate hardware comes along but I am very happy to have a sim that works great, looks great, and really offers up a satisfying experience when gussied up with the appropriate addons. Kudos for those with the patience to make FSX the great product it will surely evolve into.Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I take a peek now and then to try and keep up with some of the issues....After spending some time reading the posts today, I must say, it is actually making me a bit 'turned off' by the whole exercise of going out, purchasing it, and seeing how much of the issues are real, or not. Not to mention spending almost all my time 'tweaking stuff', and being tempted to buy some new hardware, which at this time, seems to be a waste of cash. With all the varied complaints, I have to assume there are some real problems that need to be addressed....I don't need to go out beat myself over the head with a mallet, nor wear a 'hair shirt'; I'm enjoying my time with FS9....this *is* suppose to be fun...right?Is it (FS9) perfect?, heck no, but I have to wonder what I really *need* to satisfy my 'fix' for flying. ....dunno, not sure I have seen 'the community' as 'up in arms' as they have been regarding this release. There is a ton of dust which needs to settle before I jump into the fray.

Guest ThrottleUp

I did get FSX as soon as it came out, I cannot run it properly even though I have a decent card and decent memory. I will wait for the performance tweaks to emerge as they surely will. I have no doubt that once FSX is tweaked and 3rd-party apps are added it will look awesome!I also peek into the FSX forum to see whats goin on...that board is going at 10000mph with new threads appearing with each breath! I still like FS9 a lot and sorely miss the fixed-angle wingviews that were not carried over to FSX (that head-latency is highly irritating to me, thankfully a guru gave me a tweak that got rid of it!)Right where did I put that PMDG NG737 time for a short-haul in Canada in good ol' FS9 mruahahaha.Be patient FSX, in time ThrotleUp will come to you :(

Yup, tried the demo and the things does not run well on my machine. Purchased Activesky 6.5 and Ground Envirornment Pro for my FS9 and must say, it looks better than FSX, and has great performance.Bill

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

I actually have just purchased a stack of FS9 payware that I was originally holding off on due to FSX being released.After my brief encounter with FSX, I was all too ready to settle with FS9+ addons for the next 12 months at least.I wonder if the payware addon companies have seen an increase in FS9 sales since FSX was released?That would tell an interesting story........

Guest MattNW

>I did get FSX as soon as it came out, I cannot run it>properly even though I have a decent card and decent memory. I>will wait for the performance tweaks to emerge as they surely>will. I have no doubt that once FSX is tweaked and 3rd-party>apps are added it will look awesome!>>I also peek into the FSX forum to see whats goin on...that>board is going at 10000mph with new threads appearing with>each breath! >>I still like FS9 a lot and sorely miss the fixed-angle>wingviews that were not carried over to FSX (that head-latency>is highly irritating to me, thankfully a guru gave me a tweak>that got rid of it!)>>Right where did I put that PMDG NG737 time for a short-haul in>Canada in good ol' FS9 mruahahaha.>>Be patient FSX, in time ThrotleUp will come to you :(I saw pretty much the same things about FS9 when it came out. No doubt the fixes and tweaks will be forthcoming. I got FS9 the day it was released and dove into the fray seeing what aircraft and sceneries would work and what settings made framerates better etc. I think I'll wait for others to do it this time.

>So, can someone inform about "all performance tweaks" beeing>neccessary for FS9?>I've never been in to tweaking. Didn't with FS9, and haven't with FSX. At the moment, I'm adding addons to FS9 again, on the new machine....... in an attempt to get it to the basic default standards of FSX. Might be tough though!:-hah Wow, the stock FS9 sure looks bland in comparison to FSX in the texture/crispness department. L.Adamson

"So, can someone inform about "all performance tweaks" beeing neccessary for FS9?"I had a low end system for FS9--probably to the same scale that the lowest systems are today vs. FSX. There were a couple of performance tweaks I did apply that made a big difference for me--deleting the XML autogen and reducing the size of my cloud textures. Without those tweaks FS9 just couldn't cut it--the price for improved visuals was too much vs. the fluidity that helped me perceive "flight".I suppose people with more powerful systems back then might not recall having applied any tweaks, but those of us who didn't have those systems found ourselves with the same challenges as today's low end FS-X users. And ultimately, FS9 endured for those of us patient enough and humble enough to realize our own system limits. I had only one expectation--could I improve the visual flight experience vs. FS2002 without dropping below a self-set threshold of 18 fps? I did with a few fps to spare in most places. Anyway, FS9 had its share of performance tweaks and tricks for those of us trying to squeeze every last ounce of life from old and tired systems.-John

As someone who has gone through the upgrade process a few times now (although I skipped FSX for right now), I think it comes down to a matter or perception and comparison. I know when I made the jump from 2002 to 2004, I was disappointed at the performance. That was simply because 2002 ran much better at the time, but looked not as good. It is a lot like air temperature for those of you who live in areas with four seasons. A 50f day in December feels like a heat wave, while a 65f day in August feels like an arctic chill. It is all about contrast...That sudden drop in FPS is a bit of a shock, even for those expecting it. Another thing that should be mentioned is the default frame rate lock. It used to be as high as 25 for 2002 (IIRC), but in 2004 it dropped to 20. I assume it is still 20 for FSX as well. People need to adjust their expectations down with the software. The problem is some of us just aren't happy with 20fps. The first thing many people do is bump that number up to 25 or more, and also increase some of the sliders.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest il fanciullo

"So, can someone inform about "all performance tweaks" beeing neccessary for FS9?"Even people with high end systems have suffered from blurred terrain textures in FS9. However it's seems that some people either don't notice it, perhaps because of the type of flying they do, or just accept that's how it's meant to look. For me the tweaks that get rid of the 'blurries' made a big difference to my enjoyment of fs9.If you have high resolution add on mesh it is neccessary to tweak the .cfg file in order to display the mesh properly.Increasing the pan rate in the VC is another great tweak as the default rate is far too slow.These are just 3 of the many twaeks that really do improve FS9 even if it will run well at 20-30 fps on your system.

Guest Dakota

It will be a while before I can afford a new rig, so I am not even going to give FSX a try on my current machine. I will just enjoy flying FS9 and addons and probably purchase more in the near future. Long Live FS9!

Guest tpower

Hey lookee,I was thinking similarly...... I still play GPL (F1 Race Sim) which came out in 1998 (!) because with all the mods and addons it has become peerless; untouched. Not to say there are not better racesims in various respects but GPL still has the meat & 2 veg. I think FS9 may in fact follow suit. Not that FSX and aftermarket bits won't have an impact, but there can come a point where a game/sim comes up against a curve of diminishing returns. Right now I'm downloading all the FS9 freeware I can... and having a splendid time. Decided to save my FSX money for...... well something else.Cheers,Tosh Power,Columbus, GA

Guest RobA

I like them both and have had the FSX version since a week before official release date. Applied some tweaks and am getting smooth flight most places and love those water effects up in Puget Sound! But, just now I switched over to FS9 and flew up in Washington from Darrington, Concrete, Boundary Ridge, Hermits Lair, Raptors Aerie, and Pancake Field and with good terrain mesh it was awesome!!! The switch from FS2002 to FS2004 was done in a flash with no looking back, but this time I'm enjoying the heck out of 2 sims at the same time! If I can't afford new hardware in the future I know I'll be missing out but still I have a great sim to enjoy nonetheless. :-)Rob ARedding, CA

Guest Pilotdave2006

I bought the deluxe version and I think it's a bit soon use it. I am apauled by the minimum requirements on the back of the box. What a joke that is. Nice false advertising. There is no way you can fly FSX with a 32MB Video card. I will continue to use FS9 for awhile until the bugs are worked out, and they truly know what type of computer you can run FSX on.Dave