Sign in to follow this  
EngineRoom

Does the tail wag the FS Dog?

>That is what you are asking developers to do to build an>aircraft like the LevelD B757 for FS2004.>There will be one for FS9 and will go beyond that level :-lolHave fun,Andr

André

Yes, but your development started over a year ago.Would you bet your personal and company money today on a new development project for FS2004 to be released in a year?

>I think after SP1 more and more people will be making the>move to FSX in all likelihood; however, FS9 with all the>add-ons is still pretty good, so only time will tell.>>However, as a developer I must say this current state of "FS>limbo", so to speak, that everyone appears to be in makes>things a tad more complex as now I have to release products>for both FS9 and FSX.>>It just adds another layer of complexity to an already complex>process, but that's life :-)>>Bryan>Exactly Bryan. We've said all along that we will continue to build and support for FS9 for another 18-20 months while we move forward on the FSX front as well. Folks need to realize that this effectively doubles the workload of developers while the get their arms around FSX and the tools to do the job.:-)We certainly look forward to SP1 as the answer to many users performance problems so we can all move forward with development of FSX products.

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Hi Andre, Off topic, but I was wondering if you would be willing to do a repaint of the Aeroworx B200 for me in my local Air Ambulance Livery. I posted a link of the photo in the Paint request forum. Please PM me or send me an email(jclarke@coralwave.com) if you are interested. Thanks.J.C. (MYNN)PPL ASEL AMEL (Instrument Airplane)

I agree with most of the above. I have too much invested in FS9 to change to FSX even after the SP1 release. I have so many Fly Tampa, Aerosoft German airports, UK scenery from Gary Summons, Imaginesim airports and Cloud 9 airports. I also have UT USA and Europe as well as GEPro along with AS6. Also have most major paywares. Now I asked myself, having all this, what does FSX offer that will increase my enjoyment over having all of that? sure they have a bit better ground resolution but other than that what? I have FS Genisis mesh so it is just as good as FSX in that regards. So I said forget it, I am skipping FSX all together. Even if performance increases with SP1, why switch? I have great payware aircraft from PMDG, LDS, PSS and Eaglesoft is releasing the CX v2 for FS9 and AXP is giving us the A320..plus everything I have now, what more will I be missing over the next 2.5yrs or so until FS11 comes out?? The LDS 757 and the PMDG MD11 maybe? So what! I am not going to dump all my 3rd party stuff for just them and a few other stuff. Gary Summons has stated all his future airports will be FS9 compatable. I imagine Aerosoft will continue releasing for FS9 as they have done for Budapest and Koln/Bonn. FT guys all hate FSX. So to me, FS9 will be here until FS11 comes out.

Eric 

Guest Bilko

^^^^^^^^^That sums it up for many people I would guess.

I also found no need to switch............I still prefer using both :-lol ...L.Adamson

>We certainly look forward to SP1 as the answer to many users>performance problems so we can all move forward with>development of FSX products.Performance maybe not an issue at all...I have an high end system and after the patch FSX will run even more smoothly on my system, no worries about that.But that is not important to me. The reason why I stick with FS9 (and my guess is a lot of others too), is that I have spent 1,000's of euri's in the last couple of years in FS9 sceneries, aircrafts, tools, etc, etc.I'm not willing to do that all over again. Therefore I will continue to buy FS9 add-ons but not FSX. Most likely when FS11 emerges, I will 'rebuild' again my Flight Sim.Because of this I think the FS9 market will retain its potential for a long time.

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

>Here we are, six months after the release of FSX and this>forum seems to be a lot more active than the one below (with>the exception of the activity generated by the recent release>of Tileproxy). Have a look around the new files being uploaded>here at Avsim and the other big FS sites and you'll see far>more FS9 stuff than FSX.Here are some stats:files uploaded to AVSIM in the first 215 days from the releases of FS9 and FSX respectively:___________________FS9______FSX____% varOriginal aircrafts___352______110_____-69%Repaints__________3604____535_____-85%Afcad______________794______56_____-93%AI aircraft__________504______17_____-97%AI flight plans______199_______4_____-98%Flight plans__________91_______4_____-96%Gauges_____________23______19_____-17%Helicopters__________52______14_____-73%Missions___________N/A______30_____ N/APanels_____________196______20_____-90%Scenery____________776____1096_____+41%Scenery design______78______14_____-82%Sounds______________44______16_____-64%Utilities______________88______64_____-27%Miscellaneous files__242______96_____-60%Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I raised this very same question on the Level-D forum and was persecuted by FSX fan boys.I too would have preferred the 757 for FS9 but, seemed I was the minority? Oh well, time will tell.

Dave Taylor gb.png

>I raised this very same question on the Level-D forum and was>persecuted by FSX fan boys.>he,he.....I think I'm "way" too old for this. :7 a really excited user sounds about as classy (actually retarded) as "hardcore simmer"! :-lolL.Adamson --- real and simulated flight "enthusiast"

Good point! I'm looking forward to trying FSX for some GA/bush flying when SP1 is released.I do think it's pretty evident now that the transition from FS9 to FSX as a community is a lot more troubled this time round.I think it's a combination of factors:i) Performance. We all know about FSX's performance woes, and it seems they have deterred an awful lot of users.ii) The three year product cycle for FS9 has given developers the time to produce lots of fantastic stuff for FS. It has given time for the hardware to become available to run FS9 with all this great stuff, and it has given us the user the chance to finally get FS9 exactly where we want it. It would seem a lot of us have no real interest or desire to fly FSX *at the moment*.iii) Addon burnout. We saw a huge explosion in the payware market in the last few years. It seems a lot of us here have invested a considerable amount of time and money on addons for FS9. The thought of having to go through it all again for FSX isn't appealing to a lot of us.This slow uptake of FSX has created a dilema for payware developers:Continue creating products for FS9, and risk missing the FSX boat?Create both FS9 AND FSX versions of their new products, and increase the workload and development time in the process?Make all future products FSX only, and exclude the very sizeable part of the market (perhaps even the majority) that still flies FS9?This has a knock on effect on the community. Here we are SEVEN months after the release of FSX and pretty much all of the payware currently available for FSX is based on previous FS9 products. There have been no major headline releases for FSX. I think this is because those developers who are working on FSX products are waiting to see what SP1 does.The jury is still out on FSX, seven months after it's release. It would appear both users and payware developers are scratching their heads trying to work out where we are all going, and waiting to see what SP1 brings to the table. All the while the perception among a lot of us here is that FSX is bombing, and I can't help but feel this will be damaging to the hobby as a whole.I really do hope FSX will bounce back with SP1 and go on to great things, just as FS9 has done! If it doesn't, then I have more than enough great stuff in FS9 to tide me over until FS11, and there's still a few more great things on the horizon for FS9.Whatever happens with FSX, I sincerely hope there will be an FS11, and that ACES have taken notice of the reaction to FSX, and come up with something really special for FS11.

>Good point! I'm looking forward to trying FSX for some>GA/bush flying when SP1 is released.>Your points in the rest of your reply are fairly reasonable. Performance hit is the "biggie"!While I generally don't do a lot of getting down close to the ground bush flying in FSX, nearly all of my simulated flight is back and forth across mountainous/ city areas of the western U.S. Mostly known as the Mountain West. After all, I'm out of KSLC and there is a bunch of 12-14000' mountains all around here! :7Anyway; this is where FSX seems to shine. You get clearer and more focused mountain textures when flying close, and there is a very enhanced illusion of three dimensional depth, that just doesn't happen with FS9. The city scapes are also more focused and clear as they fade into the distance.So, for this type of GA flight, in this area, I much prefer FSX. But I certainly do not see any reason to dispense with those excellent FS9 addons such as Flight Scenery Portland, FlyTampa, the freeware Glacier Bay, and many FS9 freeware/paywarwe addon aircraft. L.Adamson

The biggest thing for me sticking with FS9 is... laziness. I just don't have the energy to go through the whole process again. I used to love being on the cutting edge of stuff... but now I have no wish to. Maybe I'm just getting older...When I fly FS9, I finally spend most of my time actually flying and enjoy myself. I don't have to worry about what kind of FPS I am going to get flying into a busy airport if the weather is bad. I don't have to think about what AI % I can run and still get smooth flight. Still, I can't fault addon developers for moving forward. Eventually hardware will catch up to FSX, and if it doesn't the next version of FS will probably be more like X than FS9 anyway.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

>>I raised this very same question on the Level-D forum and>was>>persecuted by FSX fan boys.>>>he,he.....>>I think I'm "way" too old for this. :7 a really excited user sounds about as>classy (actually retarded) as "hardcore simmer"! :-lol>>>L.Adamson --- real and simulated flight "enthusiast" Larry if all you can do it to come on here and take the P**s, stay away!

Dave Taylor gb.png