Sign in to follow this  
MD83

FS2004 is still the main flight simulator?

We have an unprecedented situation. The latest flight simulator has been out for nearly eight months, and yet the majority of new files in the library are for FS2004. Some people are bound to say, "these addons work in FSX as well", but that is overlooking something very significant. In the past, freeware authors associated their uploads with the latest version, whenever compatibility allowed them to. This isn't happening with FSX!How many new files were labelled "FS2002", eight months after FS9's release? Virtually none. Previous versions of FS have never been like this - not even FS2000. Less than 25% of today's uploads are for FSX ... how much longer will this go on?

Hi,As far as I'm concerned, if MS continues to push FS in the directions they did with FSX (multiplayer, activation, frame rate hog, action/adventure/racing, more "game play", more visual tricks with the result of poor scenery back-compatibility, etc.) and not in the directions I'm interested in (better ATC, better AI aircraft, better flight model, automated checklists, reliable flight log, better navigation tools, better flight planner, etc.) FS9 is the last MSFS I will ever use intensively. Will I buy FSXI? Maybe. Will I use it a lot? Unlikely.I've released several files here for FS9 since FSX was released, and will continue to do so for the forseeable future.--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

That about sums it up. Frankly, these topics are getting kinda old. Let's just enjoy FS9. ;-)

Mike...

>Hi,>>As far as I'm concerned, if MS continues to push FS in the>directions they did with FSX (multiplayer, activation, frame>rate hog, action/adventure/racing, more "game play", more>visual tricks with the result of poor scenery>back-compatibility, etc.) and not in the directions I'm>interested in (better ATC, better AI aircraft, better flight>model, automated checklists, reliable flight log, better>navigation tools, better flight planner, etc.) FS9 is the last>MSFS I will ever use intensively. Will I buy FSXI? Maybe. >Will I use it a lot? Unlikely.>I got better visuals and better flight models with FSX at a cost of frame rates, depending on slider selection. Was it worth it...........yep! I don't consider the improvements as a "visual trick" at all!Other than that, yes this type of topic does get old, and yes, I still use FS9 to keep different options open.L.Adamson

HelloLen it took you till the fourth post to jump to the defence of FSXyour getting slow man. :-)

:-lol:-lol:-lol:-lol:-lol:-lol:-lol:-lol:-lol:-lol:-lol:-lol:-lol:-lol:-lol:-lol:-lol:-lol:-lol:-lol:-lol:-lol:-lol:-lol:-lol:-lol:-lolCaught ya, didn't he, Larry!!:-wave

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Guest neslesman

I would like to see some real solid numbers from developers where things have been and are going. Where the $ are being spent would really give some insight as to what version is really being used. Developers would be the best source for that information but I don't think too many would want to ruffle Microsoft's feathers beyond speaking in generalization. I suspect overall sales figures are probably available from Microsoft's financial statements which are quickly available as they are a public company and somewhere out there is an investment firm that is collecting and tracking these kinds of numbers.Even at that, sales of FSX wouldn't necessarily reflect usage figures as almost everyone bought it initially that don't use it now and there are always newcomers to the scene that would by FSX by default. I've steered a couple newbies away from buying FSX for the simple reason they don't even have a good FS9 computer.

>Caught ya, didn't he, Larry!!>You'd all feel bad, as if somethings missing for the day, if I kept my fingers from typing......wouldn't you? :-hah Sincerely & with the up most regards,L.Adamson

"up most regards" eh? :-)Actually, I'm quite in locked step with you, Larry: since SP1 I am spending more and more time with X: have got SceneryTech's LC - pretty good: FSG mesh: tried ASX (and sent it back)(for a while): have a number of aircraft loaded now, but fly mostly the Shockwave Mk1 or their 109. I miss the DF727: unlike you - I DO use full autogen, getting between 20 and 50 frames with good cloud cover and high detail. TrackIR is still fantastic, and I would like to get the Matrox TH2Go system! "Puleeeez, honey - I jus' gotta have it!!!"

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Guest Ryan076

>Hi,>>As far as I'm concerned, if MS continues to push FS in the>directions they did with FSX (multiplayer, activation, frame>rate hog, action/adventure/racing, more "game play", more>visual tricks with the result of poor scenery>back-compatibility, etc.) and not in the directions I'm>interested in (better ATC, better AI aircraft, better flight>model, automated checklists, reliable flight log, better>navigation tools, better flight planner, etc.) FS9 is the last>MSFS I will ever use intensively. Will I buy FSXI? Maybe. >Will I use it a lot? Unlikely.>>I've released several files here for FS9 since FSX was>released, and will continue to do so for the forseeable>future.>>-->Tom Gibson>>Cal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com>>Freeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.com>>Drop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___You read my mind word for word I agree with you 100%.

I love FSX right now. Granted, I just got a new machine but still it's great. I have FS Genesis Mesh, ASX, new landclass and of course with SP1 it looks awesome. And with FEX and GEX around the corner, it will get even better. Not to mention the LDS 767, PMDG 747 and MD-11 etc etc. It can only get better.

Just goes to show how many more 'issues' attend fsx :-lolJust kidding - popped into my head and I could not resist. You're right of course - let's indeed just enjoy one or both and understand that FSX is just a steeper sideways/upward curve than ever before. There's years of stuff ahead.regards,Markhttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/a320/custbanner2.jpgPC Power Silencer 470/3.2HT/2048mb/ATI X1950pro/SB Audigy

Regards,

Mark

Guest Keyno-onyeK

Do FS9ers go to FSX forums and tell all how great FS9 is?And why do FSuXs come here to defend, isnt this a FS9 forum?Yes this is a dead issue. Lets just flightsim, FSX or FS9.